Collision [bigger than the object]

Anybody else notice that there are objects that their collisions are bigger than the object itself? I have noticed this mostly with rocks and trees. You can clearly see over or around the object but if you shoot your bullets hit an invisible wall. Or your shooting at an enemy behind an object and you can clearly see him but are unable to shoot him.

I noticed a REAL bad one on the "the_cut" map. the road in the middle, and the road bends to the right. anyway, there's a big tree and I was trying to shoot this guy, I was clearly free of the tree by leaning and kept hitting the damn tree. :angry: What the hell?

I've noticed the collisions being one way at times also. Usually they seem to be both ways as the other guy can't shoot me either. On "The Cut" map if you are in the lower spawn and moving up the road to the bridge a rock on the left side has a horrible collision that seems to be only one way. And Papa6 is right the tree on the other side of the road has a bad one too but it's at least both ways.

well from my [GR] map making days, I have to say that collisions have been one way. if i place a collision on a boundary, i have to have the front face face towards the play area. So yes I see why this is happening. the only way to counter this sadly is to waste another plane and face the normal towards the enemy AI. but that's not our point. seems like the collision was placed in haste

Anybody else notice that there are objects that their collisions are bigger than the object itself? I have noticed this mostly with rocks and trees. You can clearly see over or around the object but if you shoot your bullets hit an invisible wall. Or your shooting at an enemy behind an object and you can clearly see him but are unable to shoot him.

Yep... I've noticed it, too. Someone else mentioned sandbags... that, and the mission on the dam, in the generator room entrance the barrels and barricades seem to have almost random collision / blockage zones... that was very frustrating simply because at times I could sight in a tango (thru the scope) and I couldn't actually shoot him...

-jk

callsign threepoint

For some reason I don't remember it being nearly as prevalent in GRAW 1. Now, it almost seems that just about every object I peek around in GRAW2 invisibly extends in to thin air and I have to expose alot more of myself in order to get a shot on target.

I would agree. It was present in both, but more prevelant in GRAW2.

For some reason I don't remember it being nearly as prevalent in GRAW 1. Now, it almost seems that just about every object I peek around in GRAW2 invisibly extends in to thin air and I have to expose alot more of myself in order to get a shot on target.

I would agree. It was present in both, but more prevelant in GRAW2.

I agree, nothing NEW, GRAW1 had similar, you got use to them and the objects involved. No biggy for me, I'd rather see other things addressed.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this topic bears consideration.

I'm getting a bit irritated when I have a clear LOS down my barrel and very clear from the edge of an object like a wall or tree or rock yet I constantly have decals and debris flying like I'm shooting 6" to 1.5' below the barrel of my gun.

This is increasingly frustrating me as that in coop I'm looking for alternative routes to try to be sneaky and stealth. However I find I cannot be because I cannot seem to shoot around objects. I have to expose nearly half my body at times to land a shot on target and not fire way off into an object that I have obviously cleared.

I have noticed this not only on COOP but also adversarial game types. This is frustration is magnified in that, while my barrel is mysteriously curved into the object that I'm looking over/around/below AI or other players that are many feet away from me can shoot what ever part of me that is exposed with out me being able to fire back.

GRIN please address this problem. It is affecting the gameplay significantly IMO.

[Merged into existing thread]

Edited by Pave Low

Thanks for the merge fellas....

@sleepdoc,

This isn't hitboxes on character models. This seems more related to the static objects of the environment as if the mesh has been extended way past the texture that is being rendered. It's extremely difficult to peek around buildings. This isn't as much of a problem from a distance, but once you get within 2 or 3 meters it's like shooting an invisible wall.

Thanks for the merge fellas....

@sleepdoc,

This isn't hitboxes on character models. This seems more related to the static objects of the environment as if the mesh has been extended way past the texture that is being rendered. It's extremely difficult to peek around buildings. This isn't as much of a problem from a distance, but once you get within 2 or 3 meters it's like shooting an invisible wall.

I respectfully recommend you re read my post. My title may say that, but I ask specifically about things like rocks and such in a seperate paragraph.

Here's an thought that might be worth considering. GRAW and GRAW2 has a pretty darn realistic weapon setup, ie the character is acctually looking down the modeled 3d sights or through the modeled scope....and the weapons are set up with what I suspect to be the dummy that spawns the virtual bullet.

So...you are having trouble when you are firing extremely close to an object, like shooting just over a fence or leaning out from behind a wall/sandbags. It might just be the difference in sightline compared to the path the bullet will take, on some rifles like the M8 it's extreme!

And as GRAW doesn't have any bullet drop that difference will not change over distance!

I'll have to do some testing here to really see if moving a rifles dummy down will make it impossible to shoot over an obstruction.

Edit: Just did that quick test and it seems the distance between the sightline and the rifles Fire dummy has nothing to do with where it acctually will spawn the round.

I moved down both the fire and sound dummy about a meter and was still able to tag targets in the head when all I could see was the top of their helmet.