dual core

As the pc world is rapidly changing into dual and quad cores, is grw2 optimized for it??

Are we eventually gonna see a truely optimized dual or multiple core game??

Selling cpus is one thing, programming for them another.........

To me it seems useless if we dont get to see real multi core software or games...........

merchandising crap otherwise

-M-

Dual cores are not supported by games that often, and when it is the game usually doesn't do it to the best it can. Dual cores show extreme performance increases in things such as rendering, compression, things like that. I would like to see more support for such as well though.

I for one would love to see support for multiple cores. Especially more than 2 core CPU's or multi-cpu/core server platforms. This would be a boon to hosts so they could host more than one instance of a server per machine. Also being able to specify the number of cores to use per instance. For example be able to use 2 cores per server. Imagine the AI on COOP with them using a second core. It could allow for a much smoother experience when a large number of tangos are spawned.

I would love to see it with the addition of being able to specify an IP in the config file for either client or server. Please allow multi-homing GRIN.

Edited by FI_FlimFlam

• 1 month later...

As the pc world is rapidly changing into dual and quad cores, is grw2 optimized for it??

I picked this up among comments to an article about the delay (very unofficial and DNCDante is unknown to me but still:

"A Ubisoft employee showed an alpha-version to me at CeBit. ..There will be optimizations for older pcs and special techniques for full core 2 duo support."

"The Ubisoft-guy asked me for my system, and when I told him I got a dual core cpu he said, I'm really going to enjoy the game, because they have special support for these."

Link:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/forum...pic.php?t=19455

PS From another article about GRAW 2 PC this was new info to me:

In the interview, the developer also said that it plans to support the sequel with post-launch content, although didn't go into details "because we'd like to keep it secret".

Link:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=158305

I hope this is true and has not been changed :thumbsup:

Everything is moving toward multicore and within 5 years, most games will be programmed as such. Many within 2.

the day of the single core CPU is almost gone.

Intel is already confident it will be releasing 128 core CPUs relatively soon.

In fact, companies like NVidia are getting very nervous. Cores may soon be used in conjunction with Mobo designs to replace GPUs entirely and Intel intends to do just that. Wasn't ATI bought my AMD?

Dual core support will become more and more common in games as multicore coding becomes common among coders. And they are all going to have to learn fast because the hardware aint gonna go backwards.

Edited by Sleepdoc

Everything is moving toward multicore and within 5 years, most games will be programmed as such. Many within 2.

In fact, companies like NVidia are getting very nervous. Cores may soon be used in conjunction with Mobo designs to replace GPUs entirely and Intel intends to do just that. Wasn't ATI bought my AMD?

Dual core support will become more and more common in games as multicore coding becomes common among coders. And they are all going to have to learn fast because the hardware aint gonna go backwards.

Too late DOC, AMD has released the AMD 690 chipset with an ATI GPU core integrated with a X1150 GPU core. ok, not much now but, definately a start. But what if you want a top o' the line GPU core? then AMD will have to flood the market with chips with various GPU cores integrated.

Added later: Also seems like Gigahertz aren't so poular anymore as is mutli-core programming. Article : http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=38978

Edited by Papa6

Too late DOC, AMD has released the AMD 690 chipset with an ATI GPU core integrated with a X1150 GPU core. ok, not much now but, definately a start. But what if you want a top o' the line GPU core? then AMD will have to flood the market with chips with various GPU cores integrated.

Added later: Also seems like Gigahertz aren't so poular anymore as is mutli-core programming. Article : http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=38978

Like I said, its coming fast!