New CPU fan/heatsink installed

SnowFella

For those of you who's followed my GR:AW M4 SOPMOD thread and have read about my my CPU heat issues here's a small update on the result of the installation of the new fan/heatsink that I bought.

And for those who haven't read about that before I'll also include a small recap on the resent issues.

Recap first.

As summer getting closer here downunder I've more and more started worrying about my CPU temperatures during high load, in some cases in the last few weeks I've seen CPU temperatures up around 62 degrees when rendering images with 3DSM. Knowing that outside temperatures (and inside temps aswell unfortunately) is bount to get even higher in the coming months I came to the conclusion that I had to do something about this.

In the computer at that stage was an original Intel P4 heatsink and fan, forever clogged up with dust even though I clean it with compressed air just about monthly.

So I started checking the net for something suitable to replace it with, Warhawk knowing about my problems came with a suggestion.

Zalman CNPS9500 LED

Checking first if it would fit inside my case I placed the order yesterday along with some Artic Silver 5 paste, Artic Silver Cleaning combo and round IDE/floppy cables to improve airflow.

Installing it was abit of a pain indeed as the heatsink is huge! You really ought to do it with the mobo removed out of the computer but with the way my case is built I didn't have that luxury.

So now that I've got it installed here's the results.

At idle CPU load I can't really say I see much of an improvement, maybe 2 or 3 degrees centigrade lower than what it was with the old heatsink/fan. Then again, last time I checked idle temps was earlier on today and the inside temperature has gone up by 5 or 6 degrees since then.

The CPU temp at load is what suprises me the most though. A 3DSM render that I ran yesterday and had the CPU peak out at 62 degrees today only had the CPU peak out at 52 degrees, and it's warmer in the computer room today than it was yesterday.

30 minutes worth of running CPU Burn also registered temperatures hovering in the 52 degree range, quickly peaked up from idle temperatures but stabilised within a minute.

Have to say I'm loving it at the moment! :punk: Lesson learned for future builds, never go cheap on the CPU cooling!

Here's how it looks internally right now

computer.jpg

Snow

Had cpu temp. issues with the first PC I built last year. The P4 3.6 Prescott ran way to hot during gaming and would set off a alarm from an Intel MB utility I had installed. :help: Grabbed the same cpu cooler you have on sale from Newegg,installed it with some artic silver 5 and my temps dropped way down into a comfort zone. :cold: I'll also not make the mistake of not having a good cpu cooler again. :smart:

Edited by KRP 56

A friend of mine invited me over to his place to give him a hand in building a new computer from ground up for him. He had this fan also. I can't imagine having the room to install it without first taking out the mobo...It's frickin' huge!

Well, being a nice cool morning here I have to say I expected my CPU temps to be comfortably low with the new setup but what I'm seeing is blowing me away! My Videocards (GF 6800 Ultra) control panel is indicating an ambient case temperature of about 34degrees at the moment....and the CPU temp is hovering at 30degrees at idle even though I have both the CPU fan and second intake fan spinning at about 50% of maximum rpm's :o

Well, being a nice cool morning here I have to say I expected my CPU temps to be comfortably low with the new setup but what I'm seeing is blowing me away! My Videocards (GF 6800 Ultra) control panel is indicating an ambient case temperature of about 34degrees at the moment....and the CPU temp is hovering at 30degrees at idle even though I have both the CPU fan and second intake fan spinning at about 50% of maximum rpm's :o

I have the 6800 ultra as well, and i went and got the zalman dual heatpipe cooling system, and it also runs at 34-37 deg during games, idle at around 30. Zalman is good stuff!

Hehe...I had Warhawk cringe when I told him about my cable routing and the 20 odd cableties involved in getting it right. The cringe was becase I tucked all cables away and secured them with cableties even before testing that the computer worked as it should :rofl: