Producing a good manual might be an expensive venture, but I personally do feel it is sloppy to say the least when there is an inadequate one.

In the Netherlands the average new game costs €56,95, I wouldn't mind paying €59.95 if that means that there will be a PROPER manual (full colour, detailed explainations of EVERY aspect and feature of the game, screenshots of menus when explaining them instead of the usual "File > Open > Click Ok" style, spoiler-free storyline).

One of the things that I like of new games besides tearing the wrapping off is the manual, a good manual is truly a joy to read. And as OliverReed I feel justly points out, it is lacking.

Tell ya what, Oliver... Write a full fledge manual, make sure that it has graphics in it, produce it, pay for the costs of the manual to have it produced, then pay for it to have it published in any format you choose.

That way, you can take pleasure in knowing you are the one that wrote it, and it has everything you have so wanted to know about GR:AW.

If you write it, then you won't have anything to complain about, but be prepared to have others criticize you for not having done it sooner, done it later or that it is missing information.

I have personally written manuals while I was in the military on how for people to do their jobs. Trust me when I say I know what it takes to produce a manual.

What people don't need is to be hand-holding on things that are based on a 10yr old childs learning curve.

I think the point of the .pdf thing wasn't that it would be FREE, per se, but that it would at least be a LOT less expensive to publish to hundreds of thousands of buyers than would a paper manual. Having worked for a newspaper at some point in my life, I kinda have a grip on what goes into laying out a publication. Though I was just a part-time writer...

As for the hand-holding and 10-y/o learning curve, I must wonder just how well this game translates into the FEW other languages it's availabgle in. After all, it's a 100% guarantee taht not every GRAW player out there speaks English at all, much less fluently. If the manual were in French, I'd be lost like last year's Easter Eggs. Then I'd be poking around in teh GRnet forums ASKING FOR SOMEONE'S HELP in understanding the basic functions of the game, and why they don't appear to work on my system.

CONSTRUCTIVE, NOT FLAMING. Remember?! (don't hate!) :grin1:

Manuals should be produced in:

English, French, German and Spanish.

BIG market in Brazil. Add Portuguese to the list. Italian. Dutch. Danish. And certainly Russian, Chinese, Japanese, KOREAN, blahblahblah.....

Point being, you can't please everyone. Going with English, French, and Spanish DOES cover all of North America, Australia, and a lot of Europe and South America. But here's the issue. Folks who speak those OTHER languages often have one of the big three as a second language. But being able to pass written tests in a classroom and being able to actually communicate with folks who've grown up in the language are two entirely different things. It's hard. Trust me. My ex had English as a FOURTH language (after Polish, Russian, and German, she learned her English from drunk GI's like me at a metal bar in Nurnberg, Germany) and BOY what a learning curve. Any manual will be tough to get the point of. The more details one can sift through to extract the basics, the better. But we're NOT GETTING A DIFFERENT MANUAL FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

Someone please close this topic?

Tell ya what, Oliver... Write a full fledge manual, make sure that it has graphics in it, produce it, pay for the costs of the manual to have it produced, then pay for it to have it published in any format you choose.

That way, you can take pleasure in knowing you are the one that wrote it, and it has everything you have so wanted to know about GR:AW.

If you write it, then you won't have anything to complain about, but be prepared to have others criticize you for not having done it sooner, done it later or that it is missing information.

I have personally written manuals while I was in the military on how for people to do their jobs. Trust me when I say I know what it takes to produce a manual.

What people don't need is to be hand-holding on things that are based on a 10yr old childs learning curve.

Wow

I think somebody needs to go back and read some of thier own posts.

Why close the topic? A good game manual is a joy (at least to me) to read and GRiN might be able to learn from it (granted, probably won't but still) that some people do think that a product is more than just the product and it's wrapping for their future games and add-ons.

To me:

Poor manual = sloppy work.

Good manual = Attention to detail.

So, GRiN please learn from this thread :)

Wow

I think somebody needs to go back and read some of thier own posts.

No... Not really... I know what I have said, but there are people who cannot understand the point nor do they even try, so you have to drill it into them until they understand...

"Can't learn to ride a bull in one day."

There are people that even if you laid every single solitary thing out in front of them, simplified it down as far as humanly possible, just won't understand no matter how hard a person tries.

The reason for such an aggressive approach is because the only thing this person has ever said was something about the manual, so many times that I bet he can't even remember.

It's been explained, explained again and explained even further... He just will never understand.

Whether you agree or disagree with my approach is up to you, I took the only approach I felt would get the point across and even that failed.

And to add on to what Warlord said... I agree with him.

But, at this point in the game with the development and now released game, it's just never going to happen. Future games we can definitely hope for better manuals, but the producer has the ultimate control over the content of the manual... GRIN is not at fault here, it's their publisher.

Edited by ToW-Angel

Thought it was already clear we're NOT gonna get a new game manual no matter how much we beg for it, but perhaps I am wrong. If I am, then by all means let's keep discussing it.

Another idea- What if WE, THE PEOPLE write our own manual? Surely someone here is good with screenshots and digital images. There are SURE to be writers in here. A few of us must have MS Publisher or the likes (Adobe PrintShop?). ToW_Angel has all but volunteered (sorry, dear, but YOU drew this bulleye) to edit.

HELL YEAH! LET'S WRITE OUR OWN GAME MANUAL! LET'S SHOW UBI WHO'S RUNNIN' THIS SHOW! Let's DO IT! Farva... Your Suspension.... Continues!

Rabbi... but you are better at story telling than I am! :P LOL

Nominee is: RABBI 74

I honestly don't have enough experience with the game like many others do and they have been with the game since the very beginning, including [GR].

Edited by ToW-Angel

The title of this thread is "Attack-Effective use"

The AI must have a clear view of the enemy.

The enemy must be spotted first (with the red diamond if you activated it).

NOT necessarily. Sometimes I can order an AI teammate to attack a target that is NOT in clear line of sight. But the RED DIAMOND thing typically applies, I think. Though I DO

occasinally get the 'NEGATIVE' response that way as well. FEELS like it's got more to do with whether an AI is SUPPOSED to attack it...

As long as you can "see" it and point your reticle on it, you can order your team to "attack". Sometimes you will here, "can't see it" or something like that. However, in "Ready for Bear",I was at the end of the tunnel, pointed my "cross hair" at the Havoc Helicopter and pressed "attack". All the GR:AW team mates attack the first AND the seconf Helicopter without further instruction.

Trial and error
(I totally agree with this one!)

How about this: Attack: Ask the unit to take out the selected target, which you must roughly aim at. The unit continues to attack until the target is destroyed or another order is given. (from the manual)

I think we can consider this thread well and truly hi-jacked...congrats!

[2.0] General Posting Guidelines

[2.2] Try and stay on-topic within a thread, start a new thread if you move onto a new topic. Excessive off-topic discussion within a topical thread will be removed if it detracts from the

discussion.

Oh Moderators!