Windows XP Reg Cleaner?

firefly2442

• 4 months later...

XP doesn't need a registry cleaner, it handles it by itself the best. It can cause problems sometimes though never for me when reg cleaning but XP is fine without it. (And that was told to me by professional IT workers at the hardforums). But for awhile I used Registry First aid and it worked the best. Still though XP doesn't need one.

Lol this thread is old.

@NC, u dont need to clean it for regular maintenence as you have to defrag. XP can run with other entries in there just fine. The only time it needs to be "cleaned" is if a game doesn't remove its reigstry entries because its' installer is a pos. Otherwise just leave them there.

I dont agree at all that XP cleans itself and doesnt get cluttered up. In fact, I have found quite to the contrary.

I usually clean it manually and/or use reg cleaner.

I have never ever seen a registry that didnt get cluttered up.

And with all due respect to whoever the IT guys are at the hard forums, they will never work on any of my machines.

I havent found a Microsoft product yet that didnt need intervention for maintenance.

I never said XP cleaned itself. It just doesn't need to be taken care of like that, and it doesn't need that pos called windoctor either. Both registry cleaning and windoctor are meant for 9x. Granted crap loads of people use both on XP systems they dont need them. Later I shall give u guys some more info on why XP doesn't need its registry cleaned. I called some calvalry and should know some more by the morning. Until then go registry surfing and delete anything with an "h" in it. ;)

I havent found a Microsoft product yet that didnt need intervention for maintenance.
Again I never said anything contrary to that. It does need to be defragged and such and the temp files cleaned if you like that kinda thing. Edited by Stinger

XP doesn't need a registry cleaner, it handles it by itself the best. It can cause problems sometimes though never for me when reg cleaning but XP is fine without it. (And that was told to me by professional IT workers at the hardforums). But for awhile I used Registry First aid and it worked the best. Still though XP doesn't need one.

Actually, you said it here, but Im not trying to argue, just telling all that I strongly disagree and find it totally wrong.

I never said XP cleaned itself. It just doesn't need to be taken care of like that, and it doesn't need that pos called windoctor either. Both registry cleaning and windoctor are meant for 9x. Granted crap loads of people use both on XP systems they dont need them. Later I shall give u guys some more info on why XP doesn't need its registry cleaned. I called some calvalry and should know some more by the morning. Until then go registry surfing and delete anything with an "h" in it.

I also use Windoctor and the entire suite of Norton Utilities, and find that they are excellent tools with XP, and that Windoctor is quite effective at taking care of issues with XP.

Also, a little known fact here. Scandisk is a lite version of Norton Disk Doctor, and Defrag a lite version of Norton Speed Disk, both licensed to MS by Symantec for inclusion in the Windows family of OS's.

I have been dealing with and configuring XP since it's release date on a personal and professional level, and there is nothing that anyone can say to me that will make me believe that the XP registry doesnt need cleaning.

This is nothing personal against you Stinger, not in the least. But there is a reason I dont visit forums like that, especially when that kind of info and advice goes against everything I have personally seen and experienced.

To each his own I guess.

@NC

If you find you need some help with or decide to take a look at your registry, do it with caution, and make a backup first. And when taking advice about the guts of your OS, weigh your options, and choose advice carefully.

If you would like a walkthrough, or specific advise, feel free to call on me, Ill be glad to help.

Also, a little known fact here. Scandisk is a lite version of Norton Disk Doctor, and Defrag a lite version of Norton Speed Disk, both licensed to MS by Symantec for inclusion in the Windows family of OS's.

IIRC, MS uses a version of Diskeeper in a lite form for its' defragging in fact I know that. Speed Disk has never been speedy for me. There is a prgrm called O&O defrag try it out and I guarantee u wont ever use Speed Disk again. It not only runs while u do crap it doesn't slow the system down and is highly customizeable.

This is nothing personal against you Stinger, not in the least. But there is a reason I dont visit forums like that, especially when that kind of info and advice goes against everything I have personally seen and experienced.
I have pretty much decided that we won't agree on anything ever but that way people have 2 perspectives.

If you get into OC'ing and really involved in comptuers and all that its a great place. You can get any problem solved and any question answered. Just browse around a bit--> www.hardforums.com

An example is memory all the time companies are releaseing new stuff and they had it first they told us all what was going on when GEIL released the fastest ram in production history for end users so far (DDRI). I know guys there that work for OCZ, Intel, Corsair, Ati, Hercules and lots of other companies. It's great for getting your system to work just right or getting it setup optimally.

@Stinger

Tie yourself down with some deck lashing there boy before you get keel hauled. ;)

@Firefly

I fully recommend the Norton Suite for your maintenance work. They have been around for a long time and something else that many may not know but the very disk defrag you use is the same program in essenece and was designed by symantec and purchased by microsoft as speedisk is.

Stout Hearts

Warhawk

@Stinger

IIRC, MS uses a version of Diskeeper in a lite form for its' defragging in fact I know that.

That's odd since, when I start up disk defrag on my machine it has two copyright notices there.

Copyright 1981-1998 Microsoft Corporation

Copyright 1988-1992 Symantec Corporation.

How very very odd that you know what you do for a fact. :wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

Stout Hearts

Warhawk

Edited by warhawk

I have browsed there. But some of the info has totally turned me off of that site, and I wont go back.

I am very involved in Computers, but I dont recommend OC'ing at all. The way I figure it, if it was supposed to run that fast, it would have been made that way.

@Phantom

When it comes to OC'ing, or overclocking, I have to say you are very correct. People need to stop and fully consider the risks of such action. If you want it to run faster by something faster. In the long run you will be much happier.

Stout Hearts

Warhawk

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=...skeeper+Windows

The bomb works for MS btw. And it is just Diskeeper lite stripped down. Try O&O, it is quicker and more efficient then any other defragmenting tool. Benches prove it. I am looking through my favs to find the linkage to it.

I am very involved in Computers, but I dont recommend OC'ing at all. The way I figure it, if it was supposed to run that fast, it would have been made that way.
If it wern't meant to be able to oc then the FSB should be locked on all mobos like Intels.

@Phantom

When it comes to OC'ing, or overclocking, I have to say you are very correct. People need to stop and fully consider the risks of such action. If you want it to run faster buy something faster. In the long run you will be much happier.

Every system in my house has something overclocked on it. And I have not burned up toasted or lost anything because of it. As long as you know what you are doing there is no way tto mess up. Besides I can buy a 2.4C for $170 and take it to 3.2 GHz or shell out $500 fora 3.2 and already be there....hmm guess which I pick :P

Sometimes you have to take risks, like when you first get on the highway. Yeah its dangerous for a 15 or 16 year old to be cruising at 80 miles an hour down the highway but sometimes you have to take risks.

"The only things you regret in life are the risks you don't take."

-Unknown Author.

Edited by Stinger

Over clocking and risk taking is fine for those of you that have the money and dont mind risking parts and systems.

Most of us cant afford to do that, nor do we wnat to have to put that much effort into our hardware.

The fact is that over clocking is not done by the general public, but only a select few such as yourself that can afford the risks and want to take them. Most of us need to get 2 or 3 years out of our PC's and want to spend as little time messing with hardware and more time using our software. Thats where the difference is.

Over clockers are a very small minority that have the money for it, and if they dont have the money for it, they dont care if their system takes a dump. Otherwise, the rest of us run to spec. We need the warranties, and the {C to perform everyday.

@Stinger

I suppose then what I posted about the copyright information means absolutely ZERO to you? That's just one point mind you. But hey what would I know. I have only been working on pc's since 1988 and wouldn't you know it that is the year you were born. I seem to recall that you yourself said the following.....

I know I need to change for one

seems I need to think some more about my posts and take a deeper look at some things.

That was short lived.

Stout Hearts

Warhawk

Sometimes you have to take risks, like when you first get on the highway. Yeah its dangerous for a 15 or 16 year old to be cruising at 80 miles an hour down the highway but sometimes you have to take risks.

"The only things you regret in life are the risks you don't take."

-Unknown Author.

Your analogy doesn't exactly prove your case.

Yeah agreed. Its just something people have to choose on their own.

Now for a little late night ownage brought to you buy Stinger:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;318759

The Disk Defragmenter tool that is included with Windows 2000 is based on Executive Software's full retail version of Diskeeper.

That's odd since, when I start up disk defrag on my machine it has two copyright notices there.

Copyright 1981-1998 Microsoft Corporation

Copyright 1988-1992 Symantec Corporation.

How very very odd that you know what you do for a fact.

An apology in order? <_< Seems I had my facts straight. ;)

@Stinger

I suppose then what I posted about the copyright information means absolutely ZERO to you? That's just one point mind you. But hey what would I know. I have only been working on pc's since 1988 and wouldn't you know it that is the year you were born. I seem to recall that you yourself said the following.....

I know I need to change for one

seems I need to think some more about my posts and take a deeper look at some things.

That was short lived.

Stout Hearts

Warhawk

Now u do owe me an apology. Seems you are a little out dated there. Go check out ur facts before you start crap I seem to know a lot more than you do and I have only been around pcs heavily for about a year or so ;)

Edited by Stinger