Would it be worth getting 360 VGA cables?

ghost627

Would the resolutions look any better than my standard television>

?

Is it worth putting 40$ downt to plaw graw 360?

Anybody who know if a computer monitor is better for displaying graphics please post opinon>

Yes, it would look a lot better than your standard telivision. As a test, try running a PC program at 640x480 and then at 1024x768. That's the difference you'll be getting.

As for display, the best would be something widescreen, to better match a HD TV's aspect ratio.

?

Anybody who know if a computer monitor is better for displaying graphics please post opinon>

Yes, it would look a lot better than your standard telivision. As a test, try running a PC program at 640x480 and then at 1024x768. That's the difference you'll be getting.

As for display, the best would be something widescreen, to better match a HD TV's aspect ratio.

cool , but i'm still a little ehh? Another thing how would i connect it ? my monitor connects directly into my harddrive. There is another vga slot can it go through their?

Edited by ghost627

?

cool , but i'm still a little ehh? Another thing how would i connect it ? my monitor connects directly into my harddrive. There is another vga slot can it go through their?

Your monitor connects to your computer with a VGA cable. You'd just use the 360 cords to connect it to your xbox instead.

Actually, the difference between resolutions is:

640x480 - Standard TV Resolution

1280x1024 - Resolution Attainable by Using VGA Cables with Monitor

Like somebody said on Xboxyde, "If you aren't playing the Xbox 360 in HD, you have no right to say anything about the graphics."

Like somebody said on Xboxyde, "If you aren't playing the Xbox 360 in HD, you have no right to say anything about the graphics."

My monitor doesn't ahve vga slots on it rather it has a cord permanantly attached to it. Which is its vga. This then connects into the hardrive. does this mean i need a new monito or can i hook my 360 into the second vga slot on the hard drive?

My monitor doesn't ahve vga slots on it rather it has a cord permanantly attached to it. Which is its vga. This then connects into the hardrive. does this mean i need a new monito or can i hook my 360 into the second vga slot on the hard drive?

If your monitor has its cord permanently connected, you'll need to invest in a VGA splitter or a new monitor. Sorry man. :unsure:

I was planning on getting a new monitor in the summer but now you did mention a vga splitter where can i get me one of these and will i be able to play my 360 on this? Also, will it look better on my computer monitor?

Edited by ghost627

My TV has a VGA input and I can only say that viewing at 1300 and something by 968 is far sharper than standard SCART input

It's because of the restrictions VGA puts on resolutions.

The highest resolution the Xbox VGA cable is capable of supporting comes in the form of SXGA, which is what you're seeing.

SXGA has a maximum resolution of 1280x1024, and you're getting 1280x968 which is standard (4:3) aspect ratio. 1280x1024 actually has the aspect ratio of 5:4, which usually is only seen on computer monitors, so 1280x968 is much more common among TVs.

I was planning on getting a new monitor in the summer but now you did mention a vga splitter where can i get me one of these and will i be able to play my 360 on this? Also, will it look better on my computer monitor?

VGA Splitters on Pricewatch

You can find a whole lot of them there.

And for your "looks better" question, you'll never be able to go back.

:D Awesome but will the splitter work with the 360 vga cables?

:D Awesome but will the splitter work with the 360 vga cables?

Would you not be looking at a KVM switch rather than a VGA splitter cable? As for me i use a Dell Ultrasharp 2005FPW 20" widescreen which has 4 inputs, so i have my PC running on DVI and the 360 running via the VGA input. Coming from using a 28" widescreen tv it's a jaw dropping improvement. Playing Gotham and GR its so crisp, and the colour is a hell of a lot better.

As far as sound my soundcard has optical, so i use 5.1 surround, the only downside being that the PC is running when the xbox is running (not the end of the world) also whilst in game i can be known to grab the mouse when setting up a GR:AW match....ack!

If you do go for a KVM* switch dont go for dirt cheap, depending on the shielding on the cables it can make a major difference to the quality of your image.

*Keyboard/Video/Mouse, used for one keyboard, mouse and monitor over many pcs (devices).

Edited by IDIWA

Like i said above...a KVM switch lets you use one display with serveral devices. So in this case you have your monitor between the monitor cable and your graphics card/ PC you have a box, on this box there are two connections (the same as what is on the back of your PC for the monitor to plug into). So the pc goes into one of the connections, and the 360 VGA cable goes into the other. Flick a switch and your monitor will show the PC desktop, flick the switch back again and it will show your 360.

Think of it like a channel button on your tv, your switching what signal the monitor is getting, from its PC signal to the 360 signal.

just search google for KVM switch or ebay or whatever and loads of stuff will come up.

home_KVM.gif

So in this example, one of the PCs would be a 360, or a Mac/ a Laptop etc

Joytech is what i use and it comes with an optical cable whereas the Microsoft one does not come with an optical cable thou it will take a optical connection if you buy a cable ( this is only for using surround sound amps/ sound cards that take optical inputs). The MS one is a rip off tbh the joytech from what ive seen is better quality cable than MS. Ive no idea about Pelican, never heard of them.

Edited by IDIWA

long time reader first time poster

got myself an aftermarket vga cable the weekend after i got my 360 and as soon as i set it up on the 17" lcd moniter i instantly saw the differnce even in the 360 dashboard but GRAW looked *^$#&(* awsome!!!

went back into the settings in the dash and changed 1280x1024 and WOW! that game is BLAM!

just my too cents

have it setup at work so i can play on live on saturdays! (beats working) :)

long time reader first time poster

got myself an aftermarket vga cable the weekend after i got my 360 and as soon as i set it up on the 17" lcd moniter i instantly saw the differnce even in the 360 dashboard but GRAW looked *^$#&(* awsome!!!

went back into the settings in the dash and changed 1280x1024 and WOW! that game is BLAM!

just my too cents

have it setup at work so i can play on live on saturdays! (beats working)  :)

can you post a pick of your setup running a game and show how it is connected.

I grabbed the VGA cables yesterday. Fortunately it also came w/ RCA to 1/8" mini audio adapter. Unfortunately I bought said adapter at RadioShack before I opened the packaging.

Anyway, well worth it. I was playing on a 32" toob and I'm now playing on a 19" trinitron. Downgrade in screen real estate, but the resolution is worth it.

Interestingly most games are now forcing letterbox or the aspect ratio is messed up. The good news is GRAW MP isn't one of the games that's messed up(SP campaign forced letterbox before the VGA). I'm using 1024x768. Last time I checked that was 4:3. <_<