Digital Distribution

jsonedecker

Would You Use a Digital Distribution System?  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted that I would buy a game online.

I would prefer that the DD system would not install anything in my computer that would run at startup like Steam or some music distribution systems do.

I would also like to make sure the game could be backed up and can be transfered to another system in the case of an upgrade etc.

Like ronin, I do like the nice packaging, but I don't mind seeing it in .pdf format ;)

I tried the HL2 demo and wasn't impressed with how Steam installed itself so that it would run on your computer at startup, and I don't remember that this was indicated during the installation process. I understand part of the reason is to prevent piracy, but I would like this to happen only when the game is launched, not at startup.

I've not encountered any problems with steam, I bought HL2 off it and left it overnight to download and install along with CS source, HL and all the other bits, in the morning it was all done and waiting for me to play, I didnt need to drive to the shops, pay for parking, queue up in the shop and drive home after, all I did was have something to eat, have a drink, watch tv then go to bed. Superb service from where I'm standing.

I've not encountered any problems with steam, I bought HL2 off it and left it overnight to download and install along with CS source, HL and all the other bits, in the morning it was all done and waiting for me to play, I didnt need to drive to the shops, pay for parking, queue up in the shop and drive home after, all I did was have something to eat, have a drink, watch tv then go to bed. Superb service from where I'm standing.

There's the problem, you're lazy. Take your wife and kids out spend some money on them and then get the game and have a night of it.

For me I would prefer the standard boxing with a regular manual. PDF maybe cheaper sure. And if it's going to mean the difference in a unit cost being 60 or 70 dollars as opposed to 40 or 50 then by all means put it on PDF. As far as DVD or CD that's kind of one of those things that I know is going to happen.

That is where most anythin new for the PC in the future will be on DVD. The problem for me right now is that I don't have that option available. Especially since most pirate protection schemes (I used that word intentionally) require the CD or DVD to be physically in the drive. It would be alot easier for me to work around if need be if that were not the case. I know that one day I won't have a choice but to, though at this current time to try to upgrade to a DVD drive + the cost of the game is not necessarily practical. IE it would be a hard sell in my household.

Stout Hearts

|RE|Warhawk