In between a rock and a hard place...

devilpup

For the Last 4 or so years I have been set on going to the Military. For that 4 years I was was a hardcore wannabe Marine Sniper/Spec Ops( I know you have herd this before, but please give me a moment of your time), But Now im a Senior and I am starting to encounter problems. I have talked to the Army and the Marine Corps, the Marine Corps is my dream, one of my goals in life. But, in the Marine Corps, I have been told by a former Marine and figured out that becoming A Marine Corps Sniper/Spec Ops will be extremely to the hands of blessing. I want to join to the infantry which would be the best foundation for a carrer as a Marine Corps Scout Sniper/Recon man. But if I join their is a guarantee I will get to be in the Inf. if my ASVAB scores are high enough, but I have no guarantee of my job rifleman, Machine Gunner, Mortars etc. So I could get stuck in a job that I hate, and leave after my 8 year enlistment, which my recruiter said that only 2 out of his platoon out of 80 maybe 70 guys re-enlisted. Now thats saying something about the job. Even if I get to be a rifleman like I want to be, I would still have to re-enlist, get on the Marine Corps Rifle Team and be a very lucky/blessed individual to even get that far, then start on to Scout Sniper school.

So then there is the Army, they can guarantee me inf. with Ranger School as an option plus Airborne. That makes my Road to Sniper/ Spec Ops alot simpler. But, I have had my heart set on the Marine Corps for so long it hard to turn away from a dream that I have had for that long. I pray God will lead me were he wants me. If you guys havent fallen asleep by now, please give me your thoughts! God Bless you for the time!

Edited by devilpup

For the Last 4 or so years I have been set on going to the Military. For that 4 years I was was a hardcore wannabe Marine Sniper/Spec Ops( I know you have herd this before, but please give me a moment of your time), But Now im a Senior and I am starting to encounter problems. I have talked to the Army and the Marine Corps, the Marine Corps is my dream, one of my goals in life. But, in the Marine Corps, I have been told by a former Marine and figured out that becoming A Marine Corps Sniper/Spec Ops will be extremely to the hands of blessing. I want to join to the infantry which would be the best foundation for a carrer as a Marine Corps Scout Sniper/Recon man. But if I join their is a guarantee I will get to be in the Inf. if my ASVAB scores are high enough, but I have no guarantee of my job rifleman, Machine Gunner, Mortars etc. So I could get stuck in a job that I hate, and leave after my 8 year enlistment, which my recruiter said that only 2 out of his platoon out of 80 maybe 70 guys re-enlisted. Now thats saying something about the job. Even if I get to be a rifleman like I want to be, I would still have to re-enlist, get on the Marine Corps Rifle Team and be a very lucky/blessed individual to even get that far, then start on to Scout Sniper school.

So then there is the Army, they can guarantee me inf. with Ranger School as an option plus Airborne. That makes my Road to Sniper/ Spec Ops alot simpler. But, I have had my heart set on the Marine Corps for so long it hard to turn away from a dream that I have had for that long. I pray God will lead me were he wants me. If you guys havent fallen asleep by now, please give me your thoughts! God Bless you for the time!

First of all, you need to slow it down a bit. You can't just go into the Marine Corps as a Scout/Sniper and operate in "Spec Ops". It's not like that, it takes years of training and discipline to become a Scout/Sniper. Like ReconSnake said, you have to ace your rifle qualification with a Expert rating to even get considered for Scout/Sniper School. The Marines are "The Few, the Proud" for a reason.... The Army is easier than the Marines, they have more options and more guarantees than the Marine Corps. I can't make this decision for you, you have to realize what is going to work for you and what your dreams are. You have to take risks, that's part of life....

I pray God will lead me were he wants me.

Don't rely on god to lead you anywhere...because he won't, do what YOU think is right and what your "gut instincts" tell you....

Edited by Marine Sniper

I pray God will lead me were he wants me.

:)

Thats a good start...its always worked for me and I have no regrets...

Marine Sniper makes some very good, valid points...

Its going to be a tough decision...that only you can make...my advice...do your homework...study all your options...be prepared...talk to others (if you live near a base or post, its very easy...if not...try places like this site where there are some active duty peeps around - recruiters can often be misleading).

Sounds like you have your mind made up what you want to do...but if you have any Navy questions...I might be able to help you out...don't know much about the Marines or Army...(at least the specifics).

And keep praying for guidance...!

I'd like to add something here even though I'm not US Military.

Anyway, joining any 'specop' or other high speed unit isn't easy. Just because you're guaranteed Ranger training doesn't mean that they can still reject you. Remember that. (Ranger training is...what...Option 20 something like that? I used to chat to a U.S. Army recruiter back in Buffalo).

Now. You maybe able to pass the qualification course for the Rangers (R.I.P-Ranger Indoctrination Programme, or R.O.P-Ranger Orientation Programme, one is for officers, the other for enlisted, I forgot which one is which), but the real test starts after that. Just like you can still be RTU'd after you complete selection. You'll have to prove yourself over and over and over in order to be accepted, and there's no such thing as a guarantee that you'll stay in the unit. The very moment you can't do your job, you're out.

Earning is easier than Keeping.

THEN you'll start thinking about the higher-levels of soldiering. Many Rangers go to the Groups, or over the fence into CAG. Now, these guys, they are the cream of the crop. Maybe, what, less than 10% make it in?

If you're just beginning to join the military, any military, start small. The Rangers in the Army, or Infantry in the Marines, they are a good start. Start there, excell at your duties. If you do this, then opportunity will present itself eventually.

Out.

I'm kind of biased toward the Corps myself, so I won't go into hyping it up.

Dont rule out the Corps bro.

The Marine Scout Snipers are the best, most used in the world for a reason.

It takes hard work and dedication.

Being a God fearing man myself, I have to say that God will not take you down this road. He will guide you, yes, but ultimately he gave you a brain and free will for a reason. Not so he could tell you what to do, but so you could decide for yourself.

Anyway, if you want to be a Scout/Sniper, and it is your dream, and you want it bad enough, you will do it. But it will be up to you, and how hard you work, and where your talents lie. The Marine recruiter was being honest with you. The Army recruiter however, I believe is more interested in your signature, or he would have told you the truth which is what the USMC recruiter told you.

The Army wont guarantee your job either if you dont make the grade. If your talents dont point to sniper in the Army, you will wash out and not get it there either. All the services are the same policy wise bro.

The best that you can do is think about which you want to be in, and where your goals are. Get your foot in the door going in the right direction, and bust your ass to get what you want. Ultimately, it is up to no one but you, and there are no guarantees, especially with any branch of the military. I know this from personal experience.

Whichever branch you pick, the recruiters job is to get you in the door no matter what. Read the fine print very carefully, and you will find all the contracts are the same.

Once you are in the door, it is totally up to you where you go, and only you can make it happen.

There is a reason that the USMC is the smallest service numbers wise bro. We could argue that point all day, and it would start a friendly intra-service joke fest here, but that isnt what I'm trying to tell you.

Click here and take a look at these stats. Tell me what you see as far as the US stats go.

Now ask yourself if the risk is worth it to be one of the very best that there are, and achieve for yourself something that you have always dreamed of.

You also have to ask yourself if your dreams are worth the risk? If they arent, are they worth having? A very special woman manages to remind me of that from time to time. You said that this has been a lifelong dream of yours. I know how you feel. It was for me also. And for me, it was worth everything. But that is a story for another time and place, perhaps.

Taking the easy road, no matter what your dream is, rarely gets you what you want. Nor will it hold any great satisfaction for you. Neither will not taking a risk. The greater the risk, the greater the rewards.

Joining the military, any branch, will change you and your life forever. How it changes you is strictly up to you.

The bottom line is this. ONLY YOU can decide. Dont give up a life long dream on what a recruiter tells you. And only you can decide for yourself what risk is worth taking.

Ask both recruiters lots of questions man. I think that you will find in both services that you will be guaranteed the chance to only try. What you do with that chance is up to you.

Good luck and best wishes in your decision bro.

Semper Fi.

Thank you guys so much for the coments and suggestions. This is a very hard decision for me, for a 17 year old to think about things this big when all he has is high school under 11+ years of school under my belt, humm. But thanks again so much for all the help you guys have given! I would like to thank you guys for the service you veterans give this country, in war time and peace. All of America is in debt to you guys and I do thank you. SOTOPhantm, expect to be hearing from me soon :thumbsup::P

P.S.- I cant leave God out of my decision, I know for a fact that any time I try to do anything by myself, its all downhill from there...

Edited by devilpup

Thank you guys so much for the coments and suggestions. This is a very hard decision for me, for a 17 year old to think about things this big when all he has is high school under 11+ years of school under my belt, humm. But thanks again so much for all the help you guys have given!

Ask lots of questions for the recruiters. Don't beleive the recruiters unless it's on paper! They want to get you in, that's their mission. Ask plenty of questions and get everything on paper! Very important!

dittos on what Marine Sniper said, if your recruiter promises you anything, get it in writing! Also Air Force has a spec ops group, forward air control, para-rescue and the like...you may want to check into that as well.

I wish you luck in obtaining your goals and desires and remember that if you do this you will be pressed beyond anything you could imagine right now. Mental toughness and and uncompromising will power will be one of your greatest assets, (not to mention having a screw loose in choosing this path lol). ;)

Ok army point of view now.

When you join army they will give you 11b airborne ranger.

You then got to Fort Benning GA, you will do infantry OSUT (One Station Uint Training). After completing Infantry training 26 weeks, You will stay at Fort Benneing for airborne training. This is a Joint school (meaning you will see army airforce marnies navy). When you complete this you will go to R.I.P (R.O.P. is for NCO's and Officer R.I.P. is for e-4 and below). When you pass R.I.P. you will be assigned to one of the 3 ranger battalions (Fort Lewis wa, Fort Benning ga, Hunter Army Airfield Savannah GA). Then when you have made E-4 in the ranger bat you will be sent to Ranger School back at Fort Benning. Then after you make E-5 in ranger bat you can request delta, SF, or some other stuff.

Now the down side. If you fail basic training you are out of army. If you fail airborne training. Your ranger option is gone and you are now a light infantryman and can go any where the army needs you. If you fail RIP you will not go to a ranger bat. If while at ranger bat you do not meet there standards you will be sent to regular infantry unit. If you fail ranger school you will be sent to regular infantry unit.

If you get assigned to regular infantry unit or while at Ranger bat you can request sniper training at Fort Benning (all infantry schools are at Fort Benning home of infantry).

To get in to Sniper school you must shot 38 out of 40 2 times on you record qualification in the same year.

Info on US Army sniper school here

Info on Ranger school

Info on Ariborne school

Remember the Army is the only one that runs an Airborne school and Ranger school.

When you go to these schools you maybe with officers, enlisted, and Chief Warrant Officers from all branches of the military.

The army runs its own sniper school. The marines also run one I do believe.

Any more questions just ask!

read up on a story in the current Men's Journal Magazine, with Kid Rock on the cover. There is a story about a boy who grew up in a Navy family but wanting to be a Marine.

See if that inspires you or motivate you.

I got a similar story as his.

PM me or IM me at ledanek@yahoo and see if I can help you out.

You were in the same age when I signed up.

Goodluck

Cpl Ledanek