[mod restrictions on the map size ?]

According to the Features .pdf two islands come standard, just like the earlier titles... the main 160km² Takistan and a smaller 70km² Zargabad which will feature a heavy urban environment.

Other than that it's up to the scripter to keep the players focus, as always. Better this than a system that utilizes invisible walls.

I respectfully disagreed. I think your environment has as much to do with game design as the mission scripting. By restricting the size of the map you get more control over the experience. Granted you don't want to much control but having some level of constraints can be beneficial to the gameplay experience.

Personally I would like to make a mod that falls between OFP and GR. Maybe using maps that are say 800m2 in size for single missions. Either that or maps that are 2km2 in size for chapters with several missions in each map.

Are there any terrain created abilties in the ARMA 2 editor?

^

Other than plopping a revetment object or mound prop onto existing default tile...no, not in the game editor. That is what Visitor is for...the creation of new maps of whatever size the builder would like. Plenty of 3rd-party maps out there to choose from, of various sizes... take Nick Bells' Schmalfelden map (5km² ArmA:CO)... possibly the best user-created map I've ever seen.

BIS have always provided the tools/examples needed (base editor, Oxygen 2 <model design, Visitor 3 <map design) and various others if not at release, then shortly afterward.

I hope u understand what 800m2 is :D

F.C Barcelona camp (football camp) is 107×72 m2 = 7704 m2

So i guess u meant 800x800m2.

About making a map, it can be a hard way to go.

If u select an existing map you can add objects to it (objects that are already in the game). Check the gallery ArmaTech has prepared:

http://www.armatechsquad.com/ArmA2Class/

This includes buildings and other objects which would be helpful to you when making a mission.

Edited by Big

Personally I would like to make a mod that falls between OFP and GR. Maybe using maps that are say 800m2 in size for single missions. Either that or maps that are 2km2 in size for chapters with several missions in each map.

this is what im doing at the moment Paladin - aiming for mission areas to be no more then 1000x1000m.

players could obviously travel outside this area but the objectives all fall within this area so little point travelling outside this area.

Yeah I don't quite see the need to make a bunch of 800x800 maps when you can have a full-sized island with all mission areas on it already.

If you don't want players to venture outside of a certain zone then you can have some sort of "you're leaving the mission area" trigger, or simply use invisible walls. The latter might not be preferable, but if you have a bunch of small maps then you'd have to surround them with impassable hills or something, which amounts to the same thing.

I just believe that cut off sections lends itself to better story telling and in a way a sense of exploration.

this is what im doing at the moment Paladin - aiming for mission areas to be no more then 1000x1000m.

players could obviously travel outside this area but the objectives all fall within this area so little point travelling outside this area.

Cool. I'd love to work with you on a mod at a later date lightspeed, once I get to grips with ARMA 2 if that alright. I think I have some great ideas for taking gaming a new level emotively but I don't have the expertise to actually get it done. Not yet anyway.

for sure im happy with that - im still learning but every trick i learn is one less and gets me closer to producing better missions.

but i must say your comment about storytelling is better on a smaller map is wrong or i disagree anyway.

once you add objectives to a mission then although a coop team could theoretically roam the whole map - what would be the point. obviously you put a few things outside the intended play area like a few random patrols etc but essentially the coop team will by default head to, not away from, objectives and you dont need invisible walls and especially not GRAW warnings.

if you build the objectives...they will come.

A skilled scripted can direct the player to where they want to go. But I believe that a unlocking the next map/mission can be like reading the next chapter in a book. It just gives a nice structure and sense of reward for completeing objectives.

Im not saying that open world stylegameplay is wrong, just that I prefer the more traditional numerous maps structure.