How to adjust fan speed on Asus P5B mobo?

Rocky

My Antec case has two fans at the front sucking air in, and one at the rear and a huge 9 incher on the top blowing it out. It was okay before, but since I rearranged my workspace there's improved airflow and this thing is really chucking out too much cold air, I mean, it's practically lowering the room temperature!

Does anyone know what Asus software I need that will allow me to control the fan speed?

Thanks.

Rocky - one thing to check is are your fans plugged into your motherboard or directly into the power supply? Some of the older computers case fans just had power directly to the molex connectors on the PSU instead of the mobo and you won't be able to control the speed if the fan is not directly plugged on the mobo.

Okay here's what I've figured out so far using the Qs/tips above.

It's a P5B Rev1 04G but I can't see if it's a BN model, I can't even recall if I got the deluxe or not, I'll need to go dig the manual out.

Both extractor fans are plugged into the PSU, and they both have an extra wire with a 3 speed switch on them. Only one of them is accessible from outside the tower though which is a pain. I've put them both on the low setting but it's still really shifting alot of air, put it this way, I'll need to buy a pair of slippers as my feet get cold with it.

In the summer it's okay, the cool air is welcome, but in winter it's a pain.

The thing is if I leave the fans on low speed I should really install a temp. monitor (I think there's one in the Asus software), or else it runs the risk of overheating during gaming. That's assuming I can get reliable temp readings from it in the first place as per Pave's link.

It's only because it's so blinking cold this winter that the extracted air is a problem, as I'm set up in the main living area. I'll probably just have to leave it as it is and put up with it. :rolleyes:

It's only because it's so blinking cold this winter that the extracted air is a problem, as I'm set up in the main living area. I'll probably just have to leave it as it is and put up with it. :rolleyes:

If your feet are freezing, you could consider just unplugging the one fan that's blowing onto your feet for winter since the ambient temp of your room may be enough to keep your system cool with just the other exhaust fan.

I definitely have seen a drop in my system temps by a few degrees during cold Canadian winters despite most buildings here having central heating systems.

The only consideration is like you said, keep an eye on your system temps. Your ASUS mobo should have a CPU temp monitor built in. You should be able to download free software to check your temps in Windows (perhaps something like CPU-Z), or just check the temp after your comp has been running awhile in the BIOS by doing a reboot and going straight to your BIOS hardware monitor.

What video card do you have? Some of them also have built-in o/c temp monitors and you can check them with free software.

I use "Everest Ultimate", if you have vista there is a sidebar Gadget you can configure to display all the temp sensors.

If you have a second monitor then drag it to the second one then you can monitor your temps while playing games.

I find it very useful, mine is set to show these temps:

Power supply.

Motherboard.

CPU.

Core #1.

Core #2.

Hard Disk.

GPU.

I don't know if this is any help though. :hmm:

Rocky

I thought you guys were made of granite and didn't feel the cold. Was it that embroidery work at school that made you soft?

I have an Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo and that comes with PC Probe which is a software package that shows you the working temperature of different elements of the hardware but also includes software that will control the individual fans (so long as you're running them off the mobo) and therefore the temperature of individual areas of your PC. I am not familiar with your particular motherboard but it may well have this software bundled with the package. You obviously need to refer to the modo manual.

If not I would recommend an extra woolly and two pairs of socks!!

Anthony