Using 3d Studio Max for GR in 2020

InnerSoldier

Hello everyone,

I've been playing GR on and off over the last 15 years and have experimented a lot with mission scripting in IGOR. I always wanted to get into map design but it has taken me this long to get to a point in life where I feel like I've got enough time to dedicate to it....

Over the last few days I've been delving into the depths of these modding forums to try and work out what software I need to do it, and I would love it if someone more experienced than myself could confirm some points for me...

I am aware that I need to use 3d Studio Max 3-5 to create maps for Ghost Recon. I also saw some posts recommending buying a 3dsm tutorial book with a demo CD of one of the earlier versions, so I have just bought the '3ds Max Bible' off eBay which comes with a 3dsm V5 demo CD. Does this demo CD contain everything I need to create and export maps for GR (along with the exportation plugins included on the IT disk etc). Or is it likely that there are limitations due to it being just a demo?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

• InnerSoldier changed the title to Using 3d Studio Max for GR in 2020

I am not familiar with creating maps.
I am certain you will need more plugins then what comes with the 3DSM demo disc.

There are plugins and files in GR.net download section
Again I'm not sure the ones you need are all there.

Do you have the pdf named Ghost Recon Level Builder about creating maps?

Good Luck

Edited by wombat50

• 2 years later...

You need 3-5 3ds max and plugins from the game to it. You also need pdf instructions to properly set up the export. The models themselves can be made even in a blender, even in the new version of 3ds max or May or somewhere else, but they need to be exported from these programs to 5 or 4 3ds max and from there into the game.

• Like 1