Turning on a PC

Crimson

Mine runs 24/6, and shuts down Saturday nite for maintenance. This has pros and cons I guess, although I havent run into any cons. Its easier on the HDD's, most wear on HDD's comes from stopping and starting just like a car. There really isnt a reason to shut them off. If the monitor bothers ya, shut down the monitor.

Mine runs 24/6, and shuts down Saturday nite for maintenance. This has pros and cons I guess, although I havent run into any cons. Its easier on the HDD's, most wear on HDD's comes from stopping and starting just like a car. There really isnt a reason to shut them off. If the monitor bothers ya, shut down the monitor.

The cost of leaving it on all the time can be rather steep especially if you have a power company that raises rates during the summer months. Even thouigh mine does not run 24/7 I have noticed a $10+ increase a month in my power bill compared to before I ever got a PC.

I run my pc 24/7 with downtime only caused by the electricity going out or the occasional maintenance. My monitor has an auto shutoff after 20mins that is set by the power saving features in the system settings.

Lots of mbs have an option in bios for WOL, or Wake on Lan. I'm sure this could be exploited someway to make your pc come on at certain times.

not sure about programs but mine gets turned on by pressing the left mouse button, depends on your bios setup i guess

Yup...mine also.

BIOS settings within most of the ASUS AN series MoBos allow for both Lan power on and mouse/kb power on.

Not sure about an auto-turn on peice of software tho...as it would have to eithe rbe running within a LAN connected to you PC - or possibly something that ran as part of bios - battery backed...with you clock... and Ive never come across anything like that.