while I'm waiting for GRFS PC to show?

Splinter Cell would you bother?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've got the signature edition of GRFS for PC on the way, but for the mean time I picked up Splinter Cell Chaos Theory & Pandora Tomorrow, a double shot Orange box in the specials bin in EB Games.

I had no probs loading and running the games technically, although I was a bit disappointed in playing the titles.

The first, one I played I couldn't even get off the beach at the start to get to the lighthouse, what's with that?

The second, I couldn't even sneak under a bridge without getting spotted, (even after ducking and moving slowly through the water).

Well for $20.00 in the bargain bin I didn't expect much anyway.

I've uninstalled and they'll go back Monday no doubt.

Has anyone else felt the same about these two titles?

Edited by JohnTC02
Moved to: Third-Person shooter Games

I loved both, think they're brilliant games -- especially the multi-player which is amazingly hard but fun. It's old Unreal Engine AI so very simplistic path-node stuff but once you understand the mechanics of how it works the SP is not hard. This is kinda off topic here though as there's a forum for it here...

I wish Rocky would give the Splinter Cell franchise the same treatment he's given R6 at AGR-S as I think think there's been a more sustainable Fan base for the Splinter Cell games for the last two titles then R6, as well Ubisoft does tend to bundle the games-- and it would be nice to have more cogent forums then wading into the Ubisoft mire...

:zorro:

Edited by 101459

I wasn't sure where to put the thread.

I think it just frustrated me, I'm used to "the kill" at distance like in the other games in the Clancy stable.:hmm:

Perhaps I might just put Splinter cell in the bottom draw for a while, see what eventuates?

I'd suggest you give it another shot, stealth games like Splinter Cell have a lot in common with sniping and even 'Sniper Shooters', where it's a quieter, more patient approach to the game that works; though a lot of it is 'close in', there's sniping as well...

As there's not the buzz now when these games were new you can't just hop on where someone will have an instant and appealing answer for you to get the game rolling for ya, but there are some great 'Walkthroughs' -- in pure descriptive text, comic book format, and of course You Tube... There's nothing 'wrong' with using one of these to get the just of the game and how to approach it.

:zorro:

Edited by 101459

• 2 weeks later...

I used to run a site called Splinter Cell Retreat ...

It started out as a good franchise, but after about the 3rd iteration, like the other Clancy titles, it went away from its roots

I wish Rocky would give the Splinter Cell franchise the same treatment he's given R6 at AGR-S

It's not really worth the effort. Even Ubi doesn't appear to be very interested in supporting fansites. It prefers to get some PR guys to set up a "community" a few months before the launch to hype the game then shuts it down soon after release (kind of like what they do with patch support) :P

The closest thing to a long term fan-forum would be at Ubi.com

Even Ubi doesn't appear to be very interested in supporting fansites.

Totally agree, a few years ago, but I have to stick up for Ubi here and say that they have a few guys on staff now that are very willing to engage with and support fan sites. I've had some really good interaction with Ubisoft in France and the UK recently.

And back on topic, I'd play ANY game if someone paid me :P

I enjoyed the first 3 SC games and I'm not a 3rd person view fan. SC Double Agent was another story as I felt like I was forcing myself to finish it up. Not really very much fun for me so I didn't even consider the next SC installment.