Photo Tips

Zeealex

okay so, i thought it might benefit, not only me but other users who want to get into Photography as a hobby.

i figured out something on one of my photos which looked to be overexposed. to an extent it was, it had the flash on when it didn't need it. so i need to remember to check my flash before moving on to take the photo.

anyway. any tips and tricks for photography WHATSOEVER, post here ;)

just be aware that not everyone has a Digital SLR so, try and keep the tips working for all cameras where possible

my first tip is above, if you dont need flash, turn it off. and camera flash and glass dont mix :)

If your camera has histogram option, use it! That way you see if your shot is under/over/properly exposed so that you can make exposure compensation or if in full manual, adjust exposure time.

More on this here http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/understanding-histograms.shtml or use Google powah ;)

• 1 month later...

couple of my own to add to this now :D thanks to both of you who contributed, mine are now this.

first, get a tripod, it comes in handy if you have a shaky hand or if the button pushing forces the picture to blur because that camera moved, plus a tripod can hold that camera up all day, you can't.

second, is keep your finger held onto the shutter button for about a second after you have taken the shot that way the movement of bringing the finger away from the button wont blur the image.

choose a none white, none reflective surface to set up your image for posed imagery, the light can bounce back into the camera and ruin the image

manually set the camera's ISO and always check focus and exposure warnings and adjust accordingly

if auto focus misses the high quality "peak" refocus it and interrupt it on that "peak"

get a foil piece and closely place it next to your flash to change it's effect watch your eyes though!

if you find your camera is too lightweight, weight it with a battery sock ( a sock you make where all your batteries are kept)

• 1 year later...

From my experience, For DSLR owners and those point and shoots that can make various controls adjustments like a DSLR.

If you want to shoot landscape photography, you want focus from foreground to background. this will require you to have a large DOF(Depth of field). Always shoot at F22 and prefocus your lens to 3ft or 1M if 3 feet isn't present. if you have a crop factor sensor APS-C, set your focus to 7 feet with F22.

I was taught this by world renowned photographer, Bryan Peterson himself PPOSP.com