Why Arma2 and BIS will always win me over....

Just check out this new community made mod -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u7E8a_5Ag0&feature=player_embedded

It's stuff like this that the Arma2 community and the games modability bring which just blow every other military game away.

ACE2 mod is another example.

And there are so many other brilliant mods its hard to keep track.

I saw one a while back - call in a chopper with AI to carry out a medivac when you have men down injured, You call in the chopper, then pop smoke at LZ, chopper lands, crew gets out and sets up defensive stance while you load injured into chopper, AI gets back in chopper and extracts. You continue mission.

You just can't beat BIS, Community, modability and Arma2.

And now comes Operation Arrowhead with dynamic villages that create themselves when you place the village creation icon on the map - where will it end?

Simple awesome!!

I had A2 and sold it. I got sick of the damn game crashing, but If I knew that GRAW 2 was going to be worse then I'd have forgiven it! :whistle:

ACE 2 never worked with me, during the long and tedious beta session ( updating with Six-updater literally every other day) it all got a bit much and not fun!

I have Operation Arrowhead on pre-order and I'm looking forward to it.

@Lightspeed:

I guess you mean this Medevac module by Goliath86:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9557

Or the script version of the addon:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9798

This addon permit with only a simple Module to put in your mission to make the player to be able to call in a medevac chopper, heal itself and his squad and send back the medevac chopper to call it later.
Edited by Big

Just check out this new community made mod -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u7E8a_5Ag0&feature=player_embedded

It's stuff like this that the Arma2 community and the games modability bring which just blow every other military game away.

ACE2 mod is another example.

And there are so many other brilliant mods its hard to keep track.

I saw one a while back - call in a chopper with AI to carry out a medivac when you have men down injured, You call in the chopper, then pop smoke at LZ, chopper lands, crew gets out and sets up defensive stance while you load injured into chopper, AI gets back in chopper and extracts. You continue mission.

You just can't beat BIS, Community, modability and Arma2.

And now comes Operation Arrowhead with dynamic villages that create themselves when you place the village creation icon on the map - where will it end?

Simple awesome!!

FYI LS, you don't need any mods at all to do that. The Secondary Ops Manager module gives you the ability to call for extraction, call airstrikes, artillery, UAV's, etc. The Secondary Operations Manager module also creates random secondary objectives for you. Things like first aid, ambient civilians, and ambient combat are built-in to ArmA2. You don't need ACE (which I honestly hate) to have a great experience. :)

edit

I forgot to mention that regarding ACE 2, I've found that it causes problems at the most inopportune times, specifically when calling in airstrikes. I was able to consistently reproduce a bug where the CAS aircraft would drop their ordnance on my team, rather than the target, when ACE 2 is active. Every time.

Edited by Parabellum

The substation "add-on" is almost a game in itself. And yes I agree with the OP. The ArmA 2 platform blows everyone else out of the water. I say "platform" because you can do soooo much with it. The actual game is almost secondary.

I'm learning some of the scripting involved with making missions and other things from some of the guys from AlphaSquad and it's been a blast (thanks guys! :D). Definitely going to be preordering the expansion. Yes it takes a lot of updating and love and care to get it to work and yes there are still some things that annoy the heck out of me when I play the game but overall, in terms of creating an open sandbox military game, there's really nothing else out there.

im interested to know are the Alpha Squad crew making GR-style missions? and how many ppl in their servers nowadays?

We are focusing on missions that have a spec-op flavor, afford multiple avenues of approach, and benefit from the players controlling when and how firefights are started. Personally, I have not had enough free time to generate much of anything, but Gnome and Robalo are putting in a HUGE effort to keep things stable and moving forward. We are also excited to have firefly getting sucked into the process. His first contributions show a lot of promise and I hope he will have time (at least more than I do) to keep it up.

Weekend evenings we have been getting better than 8-10 players in mission lately. And the mission format/style really is doing a good job to help encourage good squad coordination and movement. Obviously the numbers go down during the week when everyone is busy :(

Do not hesitate to stop by and give it a try. TS and server info can always be found at http://alphasquad.info/home/f/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=2328&start=0