Google and warez

Rocky

One of the reasons cited that Google does not get brought to court when it is so easily used to download copyrighted files (music mp3's especially), is that such downloads found via google are a tiny minority of Google's actual uses.

What really hacks me off though is that Google sends me news of warez sites every single week.

One of the ways I keep track of news is to subscribe to Google News Feeds, the two I use are "ubisoft" and "ghost recon" :)

Without fail though, everytime Google sends me a daily or weekly digest, they will include a link to a download of a TC game. Here's todays for example.

Google Blogs Alert for: ubisoft

Tom Clancys Hawx download game for free from rapidshare ...

By admin

April 2, 2008 - Ubisoft and Tom Clancy games are like the peanut butter and chocolate of the games industry; the two go together naturally. Gamers who are already familiar with the Splinter Cell and Rainbow Six series have a new Tom ...

Zero xxxx - http://zero<removed>.net/

Nobody is going to tell me that the mighty google cannot filter out entries like the above.

To me, this is worse than piratebay. Piratebay never e-mail'd me with illegal download links.

Why Google allows this to go on is beyond me.

Given that they are more than willing to block certain search strings or remove contested content from their other services that is kind of surprising.

I suppose in their defense, or if you wanted to be generous, you could say that this is where those fair use and safe harbor clauses come in to play.

Just to play devils' advocate here, but could it be that those ads are auto-generated after tracking the browsing histories of the majority of the feeds subscribers?

____

Perhaps a dime dropped to Ubisoft, informing them of the infringement, is in order?

Given that they are more than willing to block certain search strings or remove contested content from their other services that is kind of surprising.

I suppose in their defense, or if you wanted to be generous, you could say that this is where those fair use and safe harbor clauses come in to play.

Just to play devils' advocate here, but could it be that those ads are auto-generated after tracking the browsing histories of the majority of the feeds subscribers?

____

Perhaps a dime dropped to Ubisoft, informing them of the infringement, is in order?

It's not ads though NQ, these are search results for news keywords that users submit. So, I submit "ubisoft", and Google sends me a digest of websites with news stories that match "ubisoft", there are no adverts.

I don't get the fair use link....

I believe the fair use* comment is related to the idea that Google doesn't differentiate between sources of content, instead remaining as neutral as possible in any reporting or content delivery.

By not filtering out certain content and putting other content at a higher priority, they help to maintain their non-involvement in the less than legal (in most cases, anyway) content they do serve up.

*: Fair Use and "fair use" have many different meanings, depending on jurisdiction. In the above case, it's referring to using data in an even-handed manner, as opposed to the legal term Fair Use, which still varies greatly.

I did that about 2 or 3 months ago, sent them to a site that had HAWX for download. I just checked, it's still there for download.

I did that about 2 or 3 months ago, sent them to a site that had HAWX for download. I just checked, it's still there for download.

:wall:

And yet Ubi moderators ban people from their forums for talking about illegal practices to be able to play said games. :rolleyes: