Sound xml's

wombat50

I have been putting together a sound mod for my own use.

I have simply replaced the sounds and used the original names.

Works like a champ as long as I don't try to reconcile in Igor's sound volume editor which creates the effects, Russian voice, Music, Male voice1,2 and 3 xml's for my sound mod.

I am guessing without xml's in my mods sound folder it defaults to the ones in stock GR.

But I would like to hear some of the Male Voice and Russian sounds at a greater distance then what they are.

To do that I need the xml's so I can edit the roll off value?

I tried reconciling and having xml's in my sound folder but then most of the sounds don't work ingame.

One sound kept playing long after it was suppose to stop.

A real mess.

The mission didn't CTD.

This is an edited version of the ike.log after trying it with xml's:

Loading map c:\program files\red storm entertainment\ghost recon\mods\mp1\map\d03_depot\d03_depot.map

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file pow_drybush.rsb

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file pow_drybush.rsb

Unable to find pow_drybush.rsb anywhere.

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file tall_grass.rsb

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file tall_grass.rsb

Unable to find tall_grass.rsb anywhere.

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file plantleaf.rsb

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file plantleaf.rsb

Unable to find plantleaf.rsb anywhere.

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file m03_pow_shrub.rsb

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file m03_pow_shrub.rsb

Unable to find m03_pow_shrub.rsb anywhere.

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file tall_grasslod.rsb

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file tall_grasslod.rsb

Unable to find tall_grasslod.rsb anywhere.

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file leafylod.rsb

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file leafylod.rsb

Unable to find leafylod.rsb anywhere.

SimGun: Gun node SAM Machine Gun has no camera offset helper point.

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file opposing_force_desert_7.atr

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file opposing_force_5.kit

RSSndMgr: Error downloading effectE_INVALIDARG(this was listed at least 60 times)

This may be more trouble then I want to go to

but should I ditch using the original sound file names?

I think I could do that for the weapons but for Male and Russian voice I don't think that's possible?

As I have said, works fine without xml's but I'd like to learn something about

using them if possible. Thanks.

hey wombat, check YOTM, they have a bunch of new music and voice overs plus dubbed effects but do not create xmls for all that they used seperate folders instead...I like the use of a seperate folder for ingame music, I need to do that ...just use the one xml for the ambient sounds that is created when you reconcile...

mig :ph34r:

You can rename all the weapon sounds and then edit the .GUN files to correspond. But, the character sounds are hardcoded to the the actors, renaming these, will render them useless, apart from calling them via scripting.

As Mig has said, YOTM uses no XML`s, but all the sounds are set up the same as the original. Just had a check of Chernaya Noch, which has also replaced all the character sounds, and same deal. All sounds are the exact same lengh and so.

If this is just for your own group mod, I would suggest copying the original XML`s needed into your mod sound folder. Editing the roll off, then removing the original XML`s from Origmiss out of the GR folders. Not practical for distributing, but should work. Seems you can only have 1 of the same XML active at any time.

Good luck

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I messed with adding sounds to a mod but here are a couple of things to take note of.

The enemy conversation sounds in YOTM are NOT the exact length of the corresponding origmiss sounds. I believe that any wav file recorded properly with the same exact name as one of the originals does not require an entry in an xml file. In fact, I think this is where problems happen. You'll notice that there aren't any xml entries for the main menu music in any mod that I'm aware of and I highly doubt that they're the exact length.

If you want new sounds that will be placed in IGOR or used by new weapons then you have to add them to your own effects.xml file. AFAIK this will compile with the origmiss xml and any other mod you have activated that uses this file.

Good luck,

Oso

I had a look at the YOTM sound folder and the only thing in the effects.xml are new sounds with new names.

There are folders in YOTM sound called overdubbed and Russian_voice. All of them are original GR names with different sounds. None of these entries are in the .xml.

Not quite sure how the game engine finds them but as we all know it works fine.

So what I gather from Mig, Oso and Tink is that new names are fine in a mods effects.xml but using original names in there is a no no. I checked Frostbite and its effects.xml seems to contain only new names too.

I'm going to try your suggestion Tink about copying and editing the needed .xmls into my sound folder.

And then putting the orginal outside of GR. Yeah wouldn't be a good idea for distribution but I'm only doing it for the heck of it. I'll probably try it out a day or two and then revert back.

Thanks for the replies, wombat

You can override original sounds through replacing their sound (.wav) files by new ones with identical names, but you cannot change their entries in the XML files, because the number of entries is declared at the beginning of every sound XML and declaring an additional entry for the same file results in a disparity between number of files and number of entries.

Consequently, if the replacing files have differences in e.g. sound length, this will not be recognized by the game. Only entirely new sound files - with new names - can be declared as new entries with new properties in the XML's and are then recognized by the sound engine.

Actually it can be done with a mod and quite easily.

All you need to do is include instructions on installation. Providing a back up of the original xml file as a courtesy for users that want to disable it.

Yep, that is an option, but it requires for mod content to be placed outside the mods folder, and I am always rather hesitant to replace (as opposed to override) original files, but in this case there would be no way around it.

How many times I have answered someones question just by looking at the readme files. Simply proves most people do not read them!

I have been guilty of this more then once.

An idea:

Add to the main menus in large font, "Read the Dad Gum Readme!" :lol: