A couple of annoyances

magnumkp

When I type something into the address bar in IE it always tries and completes it for me, but usally I don't want that. I thought it was the advanced tab option In-line Auto Complete but that is unchecked. So what is it?

Also whenever I open IE it signs me into messenger at the same time, which is a bit of a problem as I occasionally let my family use my PC (aren't I nice), so as soon as I start IE up it says 10 new messages. I have gone through the Options tab in Messenger (v5) to not make it start up in the background etc, but it is still happening.

Is it just me or is XP aimed at complete idiots who want everything intergrated? I set mine so it looks more or less like 2000 as that was the only way I could get control over anything. Arrgghhh. Oh well.

For some reason I didn't have the problem with MSN with XP Pro on my other PC, although i do have it with my XP Home PC!!! Even with MSN unchecked in msconfig it is still running in the background. Don't you just hate microcrap?!?!?

Did you put XP on yourself or was it already installed when you got the PC, i'm thinking that may be an issue...well guessing :P

Edited by MrC

OK. For the address bar problem, just open IE, go to tools, internet options, and advanced, and uncheck inline autocomplete. That should handle that.

Yes, MS wants it all integrated. I have never found an option to keep MSN IM from starting with IE or OE, but if you open MSN IM and go to tools, and preferences, you can keep it from running when windows starts.

XP is bloated. Its the fattest full of crap OS I have ever seen. I like some of the looks (Style XP and Object Desktop modified) and its stability is quite nice. If you want an OS that isn't so full of it head on back to 2000. Or if you're up for a challenge head over to Linux. And if you are feeling like the master of all that is known, try FreeBSD.

Okay I solved the inline autocomplete thing. I had turned it off in Tools:Internet Options:Advanced but it also appears in Content: Autocomplete. Its a bit like having to turn a tap off in 2 places.

Thanks for making computers worldly available MicroSoft, but don't think you can get away with such rubbish as this for long. I don't want everything to tie in with Internet Explorer, that is utterly stupid. A lot of big companies are turning to open source stuff to save hundreds of pounds/dollars/euros by not having to pay your stupid fees. arggghhhhhhhhh arhghghghghghgh arrrgggghhhhh. Thank you.