Ghost Recon plot coming true, bang on timescale?

TheoRetiKule

I have nothing against this game. I think we better close this topic...

I think maybe you misunderstood what WK meant. He said he's not blaming anyone, including Russia. It's just a neat coincidence that the things going on right now are similar to the game's plot.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Putin, the former president and architect of an assertive foreign policy that has stoked East-West tension, suggested in an interview with CNN that there was an American presence amid the combat with a potential domestic U.S. political motive."

By STEVE GUTTERMAN, Associated Press Writer

Link to article

The Army Special Forces have been training the Georgian military for years.

It's not as if the Americans just showed up last month. We've been there for a long time. We (The USA) can honestly say that we've been in Georgia, aiding them for years. Of course we have a domestic interest in Georgia, the nation is one of our allies, and we've invested a great deal in Georgia. Why the heck is Russia there though? Just an afternoon stroll? Of course not. They have an interest in Georgia as well, for right or for wrong. I don't want to step into the realm of the political, but even Russia's allies aren't backing them on this one.

Edited by Parabellum

Check this out: http://www.michaeltotten.com/

It's by an independent blogger who happened to be in the area, and then went there to give people some info to what's happening there on the ground. It also gives some background to the events as well. Enjoy.

(For those who would like to give response to this in detail - if it's political that is - please pm me)

I've just deleted a post that crossed the boundary of what is acceptable for healthy debate.

Although this is a political topic, I've allowed this particular thread to run because it is so closely relevant to Ghost Recon, it is the actual fictional plot skirting with fact, all these years later.

However, if anyone makes an inflammatory post again I will issue a warning and close this thread. I know that some people are closer to this subject than others, but bear that in mind. Also bear in mind that if I get any complaints about private messages I will not hesitate to start closing accounts. :thumbsup:

They have an interest in Georgia as well, for right or for wrong.

As far as I know Russia has no interest in Georgia as such, it is about the South Ossetian and Abkhasian regions.

Russia accepted the South Ossetian and Abkhasian call for independancy, doesn't look like oldschool soviet Russia wants to occupy and assimilate Georgia.

Edited by Psychomorph

They have an interest in Georgia as well, for right or for wrong.

As far as I know Russia has no interest in Georgia as such, it is about the South Ossetian and Abkhasian regions.

Russia accepted the South Ossetian and Abkhasian call for independancy, doesn't look like oldschool soviet Russia wants to occupy and assimilate Georgia.

See the bolded portion. Said regions are part of Georgia. Whether this is "oldschool soviet Russia" or not is irrelevant. Russia does not have the authority to tell Georgia that they have to give up part of their country. The international concensus is against Russia; even China has condemned their long-time ally. I don't recall any mention of such in the original GR game, and I think that the similarity between events has probably run its course. I hope so anyway.

Edited by Parabellum

Palestine** is part of israel, yet countries (including the US, a longtime ally of the israelis) have threatened to step in.

Kosovo and serbia, like Psychomorph said.

Hell, I think saddam would have made a pretty good claim that Kuwait had been his for a few months, too.

Whether they're right or wrong is up for history to decide. All we can say for certain is that they attacked Georgia ostensibly to intervene in violence with the Ossetians; arguably, from their perspective, a peacekeeping operation.

Nato, who views Georgia as an ally, wants to make them look like unlawful aggressors. Both sides have a political agenda, and are telling conflicting stories. There's no fair way to judge right or wrong at the moment -- america is going to say wrong, and russia is going to say right. Didn't this happen in the reverse during Korea, Vietnam, and Gulf War 1/2? It's just normal east vs west posturing, it hardly, honestly, matters who's in the right, both sides are going to lie for politics.

**woah, somehow wrote pakistan initially. That is not the same place.