Cooling Advice

Ruin

Urban Tiger, you contradict yourself a lot. Fans may have lights, but they are fans and help circulate air, facilitating cooling. That Xaser case is no different from any of the other cases mentioned here. I say go with the cheapest unless you want Antec's PSU. Those molded chunks of plastic for exteriors aren't worth $40.

Ribbon cables are actually better than round cables it you know how to fold them, allowing minimum affects on air flow since they're so thin. I'm using ribbons supplied with my mb atm.

For some people, their PC is a display peice, an object of prestige and mystery. It's no different than some kid putting a Type-R sticker on his Honda. It doesn't help performance, but it sure makes the onlookers take a second glance.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL Rook, that was my point albeit I left it a little subtle, that it's often a trade off and a contradiction between going for practicality over looks lol :)!

I never said the Xaser was different to any other cases and only commented on it's looks and how it's performed for me in general too if you re-read what's there m8, I've not once compared it against any other products deliberately to avoid any scuffles lol (I even made the point of saying I wasn't claiming it was better than any other case out there.......

I have the Xaser II which I'm not saying is better than anyone else's or the best you can get before I start any arguments lol, just another option to look at and see what you think for yourself

I'm still not claiming it's the best case at all :)! The details were for Ruin's information in choosing his new kit to help him with the luxury of a wide choice to make a decision from, better to have that than only be told of 1 or 2 products and discover you may not like them!! At the end of the day I'm sure Ruin is more than capable of making his own mind up and he'll choose what he likes and suits him best arme with plenty of info :)!

Edited by Urban_Tiger

I never thought cases could be so much fo a convo topic. Lol.

@Rook, never knew that cases were tha similar. I'd be better off with a cheaper case then (that I can spiff up) a more expensive one.

Then I can go with the LED fans. Yes, I want my case to be pretty, it just sits here on the desk (it doesn't fit below, and get's too hot down there). So I'd clean up a bit and turn the case sideways or soemthing.

Anyway, I'll update my list soon. Thanks for all fo the great advice guys! :)

My case sits about 1ft off the ground to the left of my monitor on the desk. It's also being modded and the side panel has been off for quite a while. It's still getting the jigsaw treatment (pics to be posted when done :P).

Practicality is often the better route before spending out $40 on eye-candy and frills, but obviously it's down to good old personal preference of which we all have our own
The case I pointed him to has a window if you call that frills. It is every bit as good as the Xaser II and is a lot cheaper. $40 for any case isn't bad at all Ruin, much less for one of the best case platforms ever made.

The round cables don't make a huge difference in the larger cases when it comes to actual cooling I agree, but they also help to minimise the clutter of cables in there. By the time you have hooked up 4 IDE devices and if you have Raid devices etc too, and then all the other usual mass of standard leads that float about in there depending on how much kit is plugged in it can very quickly become a big mass of plastic, the Round leads at least help to minimise some clutter too and sometimes those Ribbons can't be tucked away, they are a bit of a fiddle at best!
Ruin is not using RAID and I doubt he ever will.

If you spend more time looking into the window of your Case like it's fish tank or something (if side window is applicable) then why build a computer at all
Well, I spend very little of my time looking at it. That doesn't mean it isnt nice or it isnt cool. Most people think windows are cool, and they dont have to stare at them for a long time to make them so.

As per your point with the LED Fans, one case may be prefered for looks by an individual over another product too lol, so that kinda puts that into the equation as well. Why skimp on a structuraly solid and quality case that's going to last well and see good reliable service for the sake of LED Fans that do exactly the same job as normal fans but admittedly just look good doing it rofl????
The Chieftec Dragon is cheaper and just as good as the Xaser, if you wanna spend $50 extra for some IMHO ugly plastic then go ahead but it isnt for the sake of LED fans god no. That makes no sense.

Chieftec and Antec cases are both excellent choices.

My Antec PlusView 1000 arrived today and I can confirm that it's a thing of beauty. Real beauty! :devil:

The features that come with both these cases are great (and very similar when compared with one another) and they are pretty customisable too (you can buy and install case windows and such things very easily).

Not much more to say about it than that, to be honest. Just that if you choose one of these cases, you will not be disappointed. Trust me. :D

Pyro, is this what you have?

11-129-124-20.JPG

I'm still looking into cases. I already have a PSU, so spending the extra money for a quiter one isn't a priority. when I have $$ to burn I'll do it.

I'm thinking along the lines of a beige case for customability options. I could put a cool paint-job on there etc etc. Then go voer it with some glass.

Just a question also...

Rook, you said you were taking a Jigsaw to a case. How advisable is this? If I could personalize window, and maybe add a new hole for a fan and add my own grill?

And how possible is it to add fans to say, the front where the HDDs are?

-The Following contains several large images-

Here are the some cases I'm looking at:

Picture Removed, LINK

^^CODEGEN Model 6072 (Black) 350W ATX Case w/ Clear Side Panel with Fan^^

Picture Removed, LINK

^^Codegen Mini Server Case Model 8011-CAW Retail ^^

Then here's my fave,

Picture Removed, LINK

^^PREMIER CP0-PR-TM868SWP 350W Mid Tower ATX Case w/ Acrylic Window & Fan^^

For those cases it wont be happenin. The Dragon, the Antec and the Xaser all have front areas that already contain fan spots. Those others would be tearing up parts you dont want to be. This is all inless you get a HDD cooler for a bay. 5.25 or a 3.25 they both have their own HDD coolers.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to cool your HDD's?

Edited by Stinger

Ruin, all good holes/designs cut in cases are made with a jigsaw and a fine metal blade or a dremel tool. So long as you follow a design or pattern and take your time, its not that big of a deal. You might also want to pick up a file or wet/dry sandpaper to get rid of the rough edges sometimes left.

That pic of the Antec case you posted in questioning Pyro looks identical to mine, with exception of the case window and the lack of front usb ports (hidden under the lower Antec logo) and, of course, mine is black. Those white things at the bottom of the case attach to your cdroms and such to allow instant in/out removal or rearranging without having to use a screwdriver. Also, Antecs come with a 3 year warranty, if it matters.

If you want to add fan holes wherever you want, go the Antec or Chieftech route. The front panels come off by 6 clips (I take mine off for cleaning dust bunnies a lot) and the front is made entirely of metal. Cut at your heart's desire. But as Stinger said, they allready come with 2 front 80mm fan mounts, if you care to use those. Inside the case are 2 removable hdd/floppy mounts that can hold 2 devices each (refer to pic you posted of Antec case). One has a 80mm fan mount inside that lines up with one of the two bottom fan holes to blow air over your hdd, which is how I have mine currently configured.

The only other thing I would add to my Antec case, as it comes is to cut the top for a 120mm exhaust fan. That would give two lower front intakes, two middle rear exhaust and one top exhaust to get rid of lingering hot air (since it rises). Also, if you're messy at cutting holes with a jigsaw or whatever, mod vendors offer square fan covers that look nice and can cover up your messy work. :)

Thanks for the advice Rook. I'll keept hat in mind. I'm still curious about the large cirlces (behind the 3.5" mounts) in the above picture. If those work I think I'd prefer that better... but I'm off to look at Chiftec and Antec again! :)

Here's what I've got so far:

(1) Thermalright SLK-900-U Heatsink

(3) Round, Silver/Clear EIDE Cable 18"

(1) Round, Silver/Clear Floppy Cable 18"

(5) Antec Case fans : Blue LEDS

And this:

11-125-222-01.JPG

Grand Total:

$260.39 (however, this is pre-rebate for shipping)

I still need a fan for my HeatSink. ROFL

Antec What?

Case? not sure, somwhere around $50 IIRC.

Fans? $13 a pop IIRC.

lol

92mm Fan? There isn't one...

Here's the CPU fan I'm looking at: GALAXY LED 92x92x25mm CRYSTAL FAN 3PIN WITH FOUR BLUE LEDS - $10.99

Almost forgot:

Arctic Silver's NEW Premium Silver Polysynthetic Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 3. 3-gram( 1 cc. ) tube. - $6.99

LMAO.......

Ruin, as said before, hopefully all the information will prove useful to you and you will choose to suit lol. Whatever you do don't post up about whichever products you do go for when they arrive cos ya know what'll happen hehehe!! You'll get a dozen instant posts stating that "you should have gone for the other as that ones crap" or "mines better than that, you've chosen the wrong one" ROFLMAO ;):P

I knew that this would probably eventually turn into a big ###### Contest despite my direct quotes not once, but twice saying that my input was nothing more than just some additional information and idea's for sharing, precisely to avoid any conflict over it lol :P . I didn't and wasn't compare(ing) any product directly against another, there wasn't even the remotest suggestion or reference to any "2" products or claims that anything is better, infact the quote clearly acknowledged that it wasn't as good as other products and was just there as information for people to look themselves ROFL. So how come there's other replies doing exactly the opposite with quotes from my posts in them, anyone on that one rofl (I suspect the inability to appreciate the input of others and general self-opinionation tho)???

That was exactly the teenage avenue I was trying to avoid the subject heading down, mainly to keep it constructive for the benefit of the person who asked for people to share any info to help him out, but it's been externally picked up and dragged off down it anyway and now the recent posts contain the "Mine beats your's", and "my Dad's bigger than yours" mentality again ROFL!!!

@Tiger, I don't see anyone who was doing a so called "###### contest".

There may have been some disagreement in their opinions versus yours, but there was no comparison IMO.

I was asking for advice. And people are giving me advice based on what they have used. That's the best kind... when people know what they are talking about. Not shooting blind, in a dark room at a black cat. As some people do, unfortunatley. No, I'm not pointing a finger.

Anyway, I'm pretty pleased at what I have come up with (thanks to everyone's help).

The only thing is the CPU fan. Not sure what to do about it, I think the one I chose will match the case perfectly, adn given my location, noise is not too much of an issue.

Now, to whip out the blue spray paint and get ready for the case arrival :devil: several, months from now... :(

Thanks for all of your help guys. I guess all I need to know is if things are compatible or not. I don't want to buy a $45 HS and find out it wont for on my processor. Can someone double check this for me...?

My system specs are in the link in my sig image.

Hehehehe :)!

Good luck with it all that's the main thing, and bet it will feel like months till it's arrival and you can put ya baby altogether with it lol :)!

As for ya CPU, I have the same CPU and temps are 32 C idle and 36-37 C loaded with the AMD HSF supplied with the CPU here but all systems are gonna differ slightly as with preference :)!!

I was thinking of changing it for a highly recommended Volcano by a few on the Forum but as you can see from those temps I'm not in any hurry to lol. It doesn't require changing at all from the stock HSF but no doubt it will be eventually in the interest of science lol :P .

There was no ###### contest. If you call a ###### contest the difference of opinion then I guess there was. Sometimes you have to compare products to see which is better. Thats just fact and there is nothing wrong with it. Ruin, whatever you choose I dont plan on telling you that you made a bad decision its your pc and your choice. As for the fan, any that is 92mm and has at LEAST 35CFM or higher and a noise level you can tollerate should be fine.

Ruin, I advise getting the Panasonice Panaflo, Vantec Thermoflow or Sunon 92mm fans in that order, all at newegg.

Those circles in the 5" bays hold those white clips that I was telling you about (The ones in the bottom of the case). They ride inbetween the circles and are held in there by clips. It's a very sturdy design and cheap to make, all while being useful.

Again, thanks for all of the help guys! :)

For the extra penny, I'll go with the Panasonic Panaflo 92mm fan. 56.8 CFM and 35dB.

Very very cool stuff I think I've put together. I can't wait to get it! :) Again, thanks for the help!