My Computer Keeps Crashing!

Militiaman

My computer runs fine until I begin playing Ghost Recon I. Then it sporadically crashes and reboots. I already reinstalled Ghost Recon and it is still having crashing issues. I think it is an overheating issue. I doubt it is because my computer is too slow.

I have a little over 900 megabytes of random access memory according to Windows XP. My processor is an AMD Athlon 64 4000+. The motherboard is a Winfast C51MCP51 with an integrated 128 megabyte Shared NVIDIA Graphic controller. The video card is an NVIDIA GeForce 6100 GPU + nForce 410 MCP chipset.

I bought the following cooling fan for the computer from Staples but it is still crashing.

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...p;cmArea=SEARCH

I don't think this fan puts out a very good air flow in my opinion. Are there any super 80 millimeter cooling fans that put out a great air flow anyone would recommend?

If it is not a heat issue what the heck is going on?

Edit: Also I should add that the only program I run that takes up resources is Ghost Recon. All other programs I run on the computer require very little resources.

Should I also think about buying a slot fan in addition to a new cooling fan?

Edited by Militiaman

My experience with random restarts ended up being a bad power supply.

Mine would crash, then I'd get a BIOS screen giving me some choices to boot to:

-Last good configuration

-Windows XP

-Safe Mode

I don't remember all the choices as it has been awhile.

Mine would run a couple of hours sometimes but in the end it crashed soon after start up.

I did allot of googling and nothing very helpful other then reading arguments that someones random restarts could be related to a variety of reasons.

Take note of any error messages. If you have an on board utility that moderators cpu, and case temperatures that should confirm or deny a heat issue. Have a look at those pre-start up BIOS screens. There is a way to pause them so you can have a good look. My AMD XP 2400 cpu(at the time) was showing up as a AMD XP 1800. <_<

The Event viewer, as KRP 56 suggests, may shed some light. You may have to google what it spits out though to get an understanding. If it runs long enough, do a virus scan and/or run an anti-spyware product.

G/L

Have you checked Administrative Tools > Event Viewer to see if it might give you any clue ?

I looked in event viewer but can't seem to find any infomation I am looking for. What am I looking for?

Some checkpoints/things to do:

Have you disabled the integrated graphics in your BIOS

Checked if the fan of the graphics card is clean

The heatsink of the graphics card may need fresh thermal paste

Heat in general: you can remove the side of the case to see if that has an effect.

Wombat50's mentioning the PSU can be valid too.

Have you checked Administrative Tools > Event Viewer to see if it might give you any clue ?

I looked in event viewer but can't seem to find any infomation I am looking for. What am I looking for?

Error warnings that would be found in the System section. If you see the anything listed as an Error double click on it and open it up and look at what the description says. Post here anything your not sure about or Google it. :unsure: As the other guys have said it could be any number of things that could cause this problem but when I had this problem the Event Viewer led me to believe it was a memory problem and sure enough one stick of memory was bad. :( Funny thing most games didn't cause it to CTD and reboot very often but Raven Shield did it every time I played. :wall:

My computer just crashed and rebooted. I do believe this is what the event viewer recorded:

At 7:11 and 16 seconds

The system detected that network adapter NVIDIA...Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.

And at 7:11 and 32 seconds

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000009c (0x00000004, 0x805461f0, 0xb2000000, 0x00070f0f). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini071207-01.dmp.

Edited by Militiaman

My computer just crashed and rebooted. I do believe this is what the event viewer recorded:

The system detected that network adapter NVIDIA...Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000009c (0x00000004, 0x805461f0, 0xb2000000, 0x00070f0f). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini071207-01.dmp.

That's something to do with your network, cables or router.

Google brought this one up that you can study and try out:

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/printthread.php?t=72520

That's something to do with your network, cables or router.

Google brought this one up that you can study and try out:

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/printthread.php?t=72520

actually neither of those are errors. 1st one tells you that you just booted up and your network card connected. 2nd was a memory dump from when it crashed which is always written 1st time up after a crash. Look before the network connect for the error. (usually right before the system has had an unexpected shutdown)

For reference to event id and what they mean go to www.eventid.net

When looking at the even viewer pay attention to the application log for software and system for hardware errors. They will have a exclamation point (yellow) for warning or X (red) for error

Dannik gave me the following advice:

"it sounds like your motherboard has an nForce chipset (which is still Nvidia made) and the network driver may be the problem. In other words, your onboard ethernet may not like Ghost Recon for some reason.

I can't say for sure, since those logs don't really give great info, but if you can, try disabling the onboard networking in the cmos/bios, and see if Ghost Recon runs properly. If it does, look for new motherboard drivers, or pick up a (dirt cheap these days) PCI ethernet card.

This isn't formal advice, but it's the process I would use if I had the same issues."

I tried to disable onboard networking in my CMos/Bios, but am unsure what to change as I can't see any options relating to onboard networking. But since I have looked at the price of PCI Ethernet cards on the internet, I am willing to give one of those a try. What PCI Ethernet card would work with my motherboard?

The motherboard is Winfast C51MCP51. And I don't know if this has any relevance, but my video card is integrated in the motherboard and it is the following:

NVIDIA GeForce 6100 GPU + nForce 410 MCP chipset

Integrated 128 megabyte Shared NVIDIA Graphic controller

NVIDIA GeForce 6100 GPU!!!

ACK

It is probably something to do with your integrated video. a 6100 i think it a turbocache intergrated... that adjusts video memory on the fly. Problem is lots of games hate this and fail out. Straight integrated sometimes will work (which it maybe) but if it's turbocache it's probably the issue. Also try latest nvidia drivers.

ROCO, don't forget we're talking about GR1, not GRAW. A 6100 with turbocache is more than enough. I know, because my wife's computer has the same nForce chipset, and [GR] plays just fine on it.

ROCO, don't forget we're talking about GR1, not GRAW. A 6100 with turbocache is more than enough. I know, because my wife's computer has the same nForce chipset, and [GR] plays just fine on it.

I know but... when GR1 was around turbocache was not. (although integrated was) This is the 1st post i've seen of someone in GR1 with turbocache.

Am i missing something in the posts about the network card?

The above is completely normal. All network cards log this connecting when booting up. He had just rebooted do to the crash hence he was just coming up.

If it were a problem there should have been a disconnected 1st.

If this was the case... go network connections in the control panel in xp (classic view) right click the card and click disable. Try GR1 in campaign mode. if it works it's the network card. If it doesn't it's something else.

This is very confusing. I don't know what the heck is going on but I've played Ghost Recon for a few hours without a crash. This is a good surprise. I will report more later.

Edited by Militiaman

I can count my blessings now! Ghost Recon appears to be running without any problems. How did I fix it? Apparently my upgraded computer did not like one of the modifications I had been using with Ghost Recon (I can't believe I didn't think of this in the first place; but, then again, I have never had any Ghost Recon modifications make my computer crash and reboot). I simply deactivated all modifications and ran Ghost Recon with just Desert Siege and Island Thunder.

After running the program for a little while with no crashes I introduced the modifications I had been using again. So far I have had no problems. I think my computer got into a hiccup crash cycle with Ghost Recon. This is the only reason I can think of in regards to why I have been having problems.

A big thanks to all who attempted to help me out with this.