Looking for a new character for your mod ?

Oh yeah by the way, how do i change the faces, they all look the same. I was hoping to use the IT faces that came with the game. Where and Which file to do use for the skinner to change the face being used in your models.

Open the .atr (actor) files in notepad.

<ModelFace>icg_blk_cmo_01.rsb</ModelFace>

<BlinkFaceName>icg_blk_cmo_01_blink.rsb</BlinkFaceName>

here you can change the face textures.

;)

CC

Oh yeah by the way, how do i change the faces, they all look the same. I was hoping to use the IT faces that came with the game. Where and Which file to do use for the skinner to change the face being used in your models.

;)

CC

I've got some new faces if you want them - PM me. (I've also done a Eric Bana ie Hoot from Blackhawk Down for both reg GR models and for the 1990's Delta Force Mod. I also have George Clooney, Christian Bale etc. If there's anyone in particular you want , let me know!)

PS Hey Thales, any word on the balaclava/sniper with ghillie we talked about. I sent a PM to you a few days ago.

Hey CMH, i sent you the model dude, hehehe, check the files ive sent you, its in there.

Ive sent you again the link, check your PM inbox.

:)

"""There's these things. I dont know if its with my system or what:

Check out the wrists, They look wrinkled and twisted"""

to fix this problem you need to attribute a value to each vertex/bones with 3ds.

A)value 1=100% used by bone X

B)value 0.5= 50% used by bone X and Y,(usually used to create a link between two bones or more ,example the wrist "hand bone + arm bone")

after use different values to fix little details.

In your pics...hand use value 1(hand bone) and arm use value 1(arm bone) ther's no link between this two bones,thats why you have this effect.

For the wrist in GR its a bit complex to obtain something "correct"...i prefer use gloves or sleeves to hide the problem and spend less time with it :)

Hey eskwaad, thx for the tip, you are a master :thumbsup: , in fact i have left a part of the gloves to the forearms, so part of it had 0% to the hand, and the biggest part to the hands, with 100 %, thats why there was such bad vertices in the chrs.

I havent tested the characters in game, ok. :))

:snipe:

Edited by thales100

;)

CC

Oh yeah! Thanks! Im getting too old for this. Thanks for reminding me CC.

:blush:

Thales,

I need some help man. I unzipped and installed that boonie1.chr model you gave me. The geometry looks great, however in the game the model is completely white! Can you write down the list of what file name I should save my skin as so that it'll texture the model? I cant figure out what to name the skin. thanks.

-Paladin

Use skinner to change the body textures, the "original" is "body.rsb" for the body, hehehe ...

Change body to some texture name you have.

Dont change the head texture in the chr, cvause youll do that in the atr file, use normal and blink head textures, so you can use the same chr but with different faces.

Give a search in the forum and look at the tutorials, ive learnt almost all the few i know from GR.NET search and tutorials.

:snipe:

• 1 month later...

No, it wont work, the GR characters that use helmets and balaclavas dont have a "head" under these things, just the part you can see out of it.

For example, Jack Stone has just that small part around the eys as a "head", this was certainly done to save polys.

:))

Thales, have you ever made any civilians (along the lines of smart-suited politicians or businessmen - and a couple of beautiful women in evening dresses?) I could certainly find a party for some of those to attend :devil:

In general, actually, it's the civvies that GR really lacks (which is one of the great things about CENTCOM, BTW). No modern war is ever going to be fought over terrain completely devoid of civilians.

:thumbsup:

Theo

All my character and weapon models have a smooth modifer applied to them by default. And I agree, with a smooth modifier, they really do look 10 times better.

The smooth modifier is not to be underestimated though, it's powers are immense. Applying too much smoothing and wreck the model aswell as give you unearthly polygon counts. I only found the smooth modifier and what amount of smoothing looks best by messing about.

I must check the values of all the joining bones etc on my models now....

Edited by WytchDokta

Cool idea, there are some mods with civilians. Tinker has made a nce skin of a bad woopi goldberg sometime ago, hehehe ....

:)

Is not Woopi Goldberg! :whack::rofl: As much as it is a spit image i agree. :P

Personally copy and paste your refugee character folder and go to town!

Tinker

:zorro:

I'm not talking about meshsmooth mate, and that's the only form of smoothing supported in 3dsm V5 that will affect your polygon count. Meshsmooth on a gameres model is about the worst thing you can possibly do.

What I'm talking about is the use of smoothgroups on the geometry. Using that you can assign smoothing to groups of faces by simply selecting the faces you want to be smooth and assigning smoothing to them. It will make the faces look smooth but won't affect your polygon count at all.

I'm guessing smooth modifier set to 0 iterations....correct?

If so you would get alot better result if you instead used smoothgroups as your whole mesh now looks smooth without any hard edges at all. With smoothgroups you could make those pouches and pockets have a hard edge.