New Mod

UPDATE 8-10-06

Dowload from this link:

download HERE

Install directions:

1. Save to any folder

2. Once downloaded, right click and "extract here"

3. Right click and copy extracted folder

4. Go to to the following folders in your hard drive - GRAW > Local > paste inside your local folder

5. Go back out to the GRAW folder and find the context.xml file

6. Right click and open with notepad

7. 5th line down on the right side look for Language ="________"/>

8. Change whatever word is between the quotes (most likely english) to Jason, or whatever you decided to rename the folder you downloaded.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mod Contents:

- Added M24 SWS regular caliber sniper rifle (rehashed scar L, with black texture) with enhanced view using aimpoint. Features semi-auto 5 round clip

- Replaced Glock to a 50 cal Desert Eagle pistol (rehashed Glock with chrome texture, also be sure to switch to single fire mode to enable the new sound). Features 7 round clip.

- Changed saw from a Light Machine Gun (MK48 LMG) with a 5.56mm round to a Heavy Machine Gun (MK49 HMG) with a 7.62mm round , as well as tightened the grouping and made it more accurate so you can actually hit your target. Reduced clip size from 180 to 150 rounds. Changed sound.

- Reduced sepia effect, to look more realistic (you may want to turn up the brightness in the video settings)

- Adds M8 compact primary list and also provides combat site as a option

- Adds more 9mm clips

- Intro Skipped

- Overall gun recoil reduced by 50% in zoom mod for assult rifles

- Frags and 40mm grenades are 5+5 instead of 4+6

- Full color view for full view cross com screen / buddy cam

- Full color Tac Map

- Full color view for ZEUS aiming scope

- Slightly changed physics to allow the M99 to penetrate more accurately

- Increased blast radius of grenades to be more realistic

- Completely changed friendly AI (they noticeably do their jobs better, INCLUDING ACTUALLY USING GRENADE LAUNCHERS !!!)

- Changed enemy AI to be more aware, mobile, and precise (works best on difficulty setting: hard)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will edit this post as I ad more mods. Please download this mod and give me any useful technical feedback. Also remember this is a constant work in progress and I am constantly updating this mod with very little personal test time.

Edited by JasonFMX

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey could you upload some screenshots? I'm particularly interested in the 'M24' and what its crosshairs look like.

Sounds awesome, I'll download and check it out when I get home.

if you dont already have it loaded and played by the time i play later on ill be happy to.

as you can see it has a much broader view for easier viewing and its also a little larger in view/zoom mode.

i LOVE the M24 because its light so you can still take it along witha zeus as well as a good secondary weapon. I dont usually advise the m25 with the desert eagle though, they dont compliment eachother well. but anywya, back to the m24, it cant punch through armor but its so accurate because of the scope you can shoot around anything easily. for instance, the gun nest you can shoot through the slot or below the plate.... the jeeps you can shoot the drivers through the windows... etc etc.

and the desert eagle is just down right funny when you shoot it... it makes a big boom and it kills the enemy in one shot.

no because the scar H is a stubbier rifle... the scar L is longer and thinner... more sniper-ish

and besides, it would be pretty hard putting a 51mm shell in either one being its way too long for the clip.. but I'm sure that was just a joke anyway, right ?

No it was not a joke. The SCAR-H fires 7.62 x 51mm, NATO Standard ammunition. The SCAR-L fires 5.56 x 45mm, NATO Standard ammunition. Therefore you would not be able to fit the 7.62 x 51 into the SCAR-L's magazine.

it wasnt a joke ?? someones taking things a little too seriously.

1.first and foremost, its a game.... it doesnt matter.

2.the SCAR H in THIS game uses 7.62 x45 MM

3. we can't insert 3D images into this game so you have to do the best you can with what you have. Neither one of the scars look like an m24 so i had to do my best, take the longer thinner one and make it black........because thats what an M24 looks like, ...... long, thin, and black... close enough

why would you even waste the energy in your fingers to even type a response like that ?

Edited by JasonFMX

it wasnt a joke ?? someones taking things a little too seriously.

1.first and foremost, its a game.... it doesnt matter.

2.the SCAR H in THIS game uses 7.62 x45 MM

3. we can't insert 3D images into this game so you have to do the best you can with what you have. Neither one of the scars look like an m24 so i had to do my best, take the longer thinner one and make it black........because thats what an M24 looks like, ...... long, thin, and black... close enough

why would you even waste the energy in your fingers to even type a response like that ?

Whoa, hey, even though I'm going to agree with you on this one, he was just making a friendly suggestion, no need to jump all over him.

Um.. why are we still talking about this ?

I said that becuase it was dumb... he was acting serious, like I just made a real life gun. He said it gets hard putting a 51 mm shell into a 45 mm clip... like we're actually in the game doing this. Its a freaking video game. Since I have to rehash what the game has I have to make things look as close to the real thing as possible. Why would I take a shorty stubby gun and make it a sniper rifle ?

If you guys want to pick my work apart please do... technically wise. Like if there are bugs or you don't like how the gun fires or whatever... I want that kind of info. If you want to complain about a non functiong thing that makes no difference (using a scar H vs Scar L, or you want it tan instead of black or camo) that has nothing to do with anything, its my personal preference for this mod and its going to stay like that. Its like complaing about the paint job on two of the same car. They are both going to work the same in the end becuase they have the same engine (bullets, accuracy, stability, etc). You take a red car and I take a black one... they both run and drive the same. And if you dont like my 3D textures... don't install the mod. No ones forcing you to.

Now,.. back to business. Did anyone actually install and use this mod ? did it work OK for you ?

Edited by JasonFMX

Um.. why are we still talking about this ?

I said that becuase it was dumb... he was acting serious, like I just made a real life gun. He said it gets hard putting a 51 mm shell into a 45 mm clip... like we're actually in the game doing this. Its a freaking video game. Since I have to rehash what the game has I have to make things look as close to the real thing as possible. Why would I take a shorty stubby gun and make it a sniper rifle ?

If you guys want to pick my work apart please do... technically wise. Like if there are bugs or you don't like how the gun fires or whatever... I want that kind of info. If you want to complain about a non functiong thing that makes no difference (using a scar H vs Scar L, or you want it tan instead of black or camo) that has nothing to do with anything, its my personal preference for this mod and its going to stay like that. Its like complaing about the paint job on two of the same car. They are both going to work the same in the end becuase they have the same engine (bullets, accuracy, stability, etc). You take a red car and I take a black one... they both run and drive the same. And if you dont like my 3D textures... don't install the mod. No ones forcing you to.

Now,.. back to business. Did anyone actually install and use this mod ? did it work OK for you ?

I totally agree with you, modding should come from the joy of creation, and its just a game!and its YOUR mod!:) If I find the time at the office, ill try and check it out!

Yeah, I've been playing around with it some.

First of all I'm not sure if it matters, but I'm running 800x600, which doesnt leave a whole lot of room to add extra weapons to the list in the inventory screen. Its not a huge deal, but I've had trouble equiping some weaons because the 'equip' button is right underneath the button for the weapon itself. But aside from the fact that it looks screwy I'm still able to work with it (also I cant immagine how you could fix it).

As for the weapons themselves, heres issues I've come accross so far:

the Desert Eagle doesnt seem to make any noise (and also doesnt shoot through trees :rofl:)

The Eotech on the mp5 (only gun I've tried it on so far, but damn I love that sight) doesnt center quite correctly. Like the crosshair thing is way at the bottom of the sight. Still works ok, just looks sort of odd.

The scope on the MRC has a tiny field of view. I think its because it mounts so far forward.

I havent tried much else, except the m24, and man let me tell you I love that gun.

Good work, keep it up!

haha,, someone at grin is going to try my mod.... badass ! Let me know what you think Willie.

Insane, thanks for the input... yeah as I said, its still a work in progress. I still have many plans for this as well as some fixes as you came across.

Some known bugs:

1. Desert Eagle: You MUST place the fire on single fire in order for the sound to work. I have found if a weapon that you (Mitchell/ friendly AI) cant fire than YOU (the shooter) can't hear the sound. BUT anyone else can hear it. I can make the gun have any sound I want but I wont be able to hear anything but the bullets hitting. other game plays (if in COOP mode) can hear it. For instance, when I made the Heavy Saw, I originally gave it the unused 50cal rounds in the game and gave it the sound from the stryker. It shredded !!! and it sounded great.... when someone else in my team used it. But when I used it I couldnt hear it, just like when I made my automatic M99. It ripped it up even more than the saw, but since it doesnt fire in full auto normally I therefore couldnt hear it, only in SA mode. When I made the Desert Eagle I slowed the auto down so slow you would want to put it on SA so in case you forgot you could fire the round off faster simply by clicking the mouse faster. Kinda like a fail safe. And being I gave the DE the M99's sound you cant hear it in full auto, you have to put it on SA... and let me tell you, when you do youll laugh. I did. That pistol is MEAN ! but thing is, I assume that by the ranges in the units file it gives the bullets fired by the weapon its power vs distance traveled. The pistols seem to have a lower number and even though a large caliber hand gun is ruthless at close ranges, like a DE or a 45 mag, 44 etc... at a distance it falls on its face raipidly the farther it travels. I left it like this for realism. I also had to leave it on FA /SA becuase if I switch the file to make the DE SA only the FA/ SA switch on the left side of the gun goes nuts flicking on and off.

2. M24

I think I pretty much got this gun down. Here is the only problem. I have to use sniper scope 2 or 3 and it has a larger view. HOWEVER, when I do this and shoot this weapon at extremely long distances youll notice you have to put the target between the left orange line and the orange dot at the center VS. simply putting the orange dot on the target. Close up it doesnt seem to matter much. Youll also notice the large black lines at the edges or the scope view aren't in line with the orange lines like they are suppose to be... its off center to the right, hence when have to aim slightly left. I tried putting sniper scope 1 on it... made it worse, ... only smaller. I'm still working on that.

3. MP5 in primary.

I actually took this out of primary in the version I'm running on my PC now because I keep getting crashes. I dont know if I did something wrong or what. Maybe if Willie has a few extra minutes he can poke his head in the files and see what I did wrong.

Edited by JasonFMX

The EoTech and Aimpoint problems are known, it's unfortunately because of the scope zoom animations and, to the best of my knowledge, is not something we can fix without being able to edit the animation files. In the case of the EoTech because the weapon still zooms like there is an Aimpoint there, the view is down too low and so the reticule is off-center. The gun should still shoot on the ret though - I think.

You should not be getting crashes with the MP-5 as a primary, if I get a chance I'll look through your .xmls and see if I can find anything amiss. So far I have not been having any problems with the MP-5 and M-8 Compact as primary weapons in my mod.

And on a technical note the SCAR H in GRAW shooting the 7.62 x 45mm round is an error, the 7.62 x 45mm round is the Soviet AK round and not the NATO standard, which is in fact the 7.62 x 51mm round. The SCAR H is chambered for the NATO round IRL (although if FN were to make a 7.62 x 45mm version, as with a 6.8 x 43mm version, it would not surprise me at all).

Clark

updated once again.. check the original post for the additions.

I dont have this listed but I took off the crye combat site for the weapons and the sniper scope on the MP5.

my next main field of business is i want to get rid of the wire frame mini crosscom in the top left hand corner of the HUD to a regular view...the farthest anyones gotten that I've seen is they have solid colors which is definately a start.... so I dont have to look forever does anyone know where those files are offhand to mod that ?

also, i want to mod the smoke grenades to actually make the smoke have density against enemy AI... does anyone have any tips for that ?

Edited by JasonFMX

also, i want to mod the smoke grenades to actually make the smoke have density against enemy AI... does anyone have any tips for that ?

That idea has been tossed around for time now and the consensus is that it will not be possible without some serious script and AI rewriting - the type of thing that we cannot do right now becouse we cannot decompile the files that would have to be edited.

Clark

For the smoke you're more likely talking source code rewriting.

My Understanding: Theres this thing called a Z buffer, that basically keeps track of what color each pixel on the screen is going to be, and deals with making sure that when something is in front of something else, you see the thing in front and not the something else. If you are standing in front of a brick wall, the pixels will be the appropriate colors to show the brick wall. The way a 'real' smoke grenade works, if someone throws a smoke grenade out the engine draws all of the little particles between you and the brick wall, and the z buffer decides to draw the particles instead of the wall. However smoke grenades in GRAW seem to be a sprite, which is basically a picture that goes onto your screen in front of everything else. They arent actually 'in the map', theyre just a 2 dimensional picture on your screen. Because they get drawn in front of everything you get that wierd pixelated look around the edge of anything that is blocking your view of the smoke, especially if you have the settings turned way down because GRIN had to come up with some algorithm to decide exactly where to draw the smoke so it doesnt appear in front of things it should actually be behind.

I dont really understand why they do it that way, especially since the smoke in the hamburger hill zone actually looks pretty nice. I think its because in order for the smoke to behave realistically the particles have to not be able to go through walls, which means lots and lots of collision detection (were talking like millions of particles here), and the games already pretty cpu intensive. My guess is that that hamburger hill smoke goes right through walls, and GRIN has been especially careful to keep GRAW's physics tidy.

You can definately tell it achieved full chrome because of the extreme difference it has in the shade/dark and directly in the suns rays. when this was taken it was just starting to get in the sun so the back and bottom is kinda shaded but the top is starting to glare. sometimes is so bright the whole gun has a glare to it.

i like it !

de.jpg

Edited by JasonFMX