1.20 -- the good & the bad?

Hello all,

The good appears to be that the graphics have really improved with this patch, however, it's hard to have a real opinion on how good these four patches have been because I'm one of the gamers who can't get 5 minutes into the single player game without it freezing up. That's right, so far none of the patches has helped that. I, however, have done many other things to try and see if the problem lies with my system etc. I reformatted, updated my graphics driver (nVidia 7900GT) and Audio driver (X-Fi) I've got an AMD 64 3500+ with a gig of ram.

I notice that most of the effort for fixes is going to the multi and co-op modes and the servers but I would assume that if the freezing and crashing problems others have been complaining about were fixed in those modes, the single player mode should be resolved too (wouldn't it?). I look forward to playing multi and co-op as well so I hope these things get resolved. It's a little odd because I haven't had any problem like this since the days of my VooDoo card. Btw I've got two other friends who are having the same problems with their copies of GRAW too. (One of them has the freeze ups in co-op too)

For the most part I'm O.K. waiting for a patch to fix this if it's actually coming, but it's the not knowing if something will truly get done or whether the company (Grin/Ubi) will move on to their next project and leave this problem behind. I am impressed with how quickly they are releasing the patches but unfortunately for this problem, I have not yet heard of a solution..

GLAZZMAN

We can only hope.

I have a similar problem, however, my game doesn't freeze, it will stop on one frame and the music will slowly die, then pop! I am about 20 seconds further into the game. This started happening after the 1.20 patch. I tried to uninstall the patch, no luck. So I uninstalled the game and reinstalled it up to 1.16. Still have the same problem. It is annoying, but the game is still playable. Maybe GRIN can put a fix into the July Patch?.

(And, yes, I uninstalled everything on the game, from Add/Remove, to My computer files and all saves and profiles. Game was a clean install.)

I have a similar problem, however, my game doesn't freeze, it will stop on one frame and the music will slowly die, then pop! I am about 20 seconds further into the game. This started happening after the 1.20 patch. I tried to uninstall the patch, no luck. So I uninstalled the game and reinstalled it up to 1.16. Still have the same problem. It is annoying, but the game is still playable. Maybe GRIN can put a fix into the July Patch?.

(And, yes, I uninstalled everything on the game, from Add/Remove, to My computer files and all saves and profiles. Game was a clean install.)

Wow that is a crazy problem. When my screen freezes (every 5 - 10 minutes) I can still hear the game continue on around me. The only way out is ctrl/alt/delete, reboot, and load the last checkpoint. I'll give the rendering change a try }Attica{, thanks. Does anyone think that any of these problems may be stemming from the Ageia drivers you have to install even though you don't have a card? I tried uninstalling these drivers once when I was trying the different patches and settings and it didn't seem to help but thought I'd bring it up.

Just hoping for a patch or solution,

GLAZZMAN

Do you have one stick of ram or two?

I have dual 512's.

Might try doubling that number as well. More RAM never hurt anyone...

But by all means that system SHOULD be a screamer. Especially if your ForceWare version is up to date (I'm using the 91.33 and it made a HUGE improvement over the older version)...

But with a fancy machine like that, I really hope it works out for you...

And if it doesn't, can I have your video card? PWEESE!?!? :sheep:

I have been getting the freezing too, but not all the time, just now and then. Like you's, the screen would just halt at where evr n the game I was, but all of the sounds were still there, and if I moved my mouse around, I could hear the sounds it would make if I passed over things. I would have to ALT-tab to the xp screen, no mouse visible, then C_A_D and close GRAW.

Even tho it says that you have to enable the Ageia drivers, I found the game worked better without them. Something that I did notice when the game WOULD freeze (only the last few missions in campaign), was that it seemed as if there were a lot of loud sounds going on.

e.g. When I took the palace, and you have the tanks for support outside, to take out the rebel tanks. I put a tank near the palace entrance, after the large door was blown, to use as cover. As soon as I got beside the tank, the game froze.

e.g. In the mission taking out the scramblers. When the rebel attack chopper got right over-head (loud), the game froze.

I have wondered if it's more of a memory allocation error causing the game to freeze. Dunno !

I agree that since the 1.16 patch GRAW has frozen more times than the game did out the box, all i get is total lock up and then normally just sound FX playing.......only way to get out the game is to shut down and reboot, but in GRiNS deffence I've also installed alot more crap on my computer since the last patch so i cant hold them responsible. GRAW seems to lock up when loading a level or mid play.....maybe its time to clean up the system and give the hard disk a bit more space and less s##t to troll through!

After reading more of the post, I suddenly remembered a post (on a different forum) that they had to turn off the EAX in the audio. I will try that and hopefully it will work. Won't be able to give any feedback until much later...have to go to work.