Wow, this has never happened before

FA sear

I went out shooting in a massive "shotgun rally", and we shot up a bunch of 55 gallon drums with slugs and buckshot. The drums were literally shredded to pieces, but at the end of the day when I went home I noticed discoloration on my right shoulder.

I have shot 200+ rounds of 2 3/4 buckshot and slugs in one sitting without even a mark on my shoulder, but with the 3 and 3+ inch magnum rounds I guess it was too much in one sitting. I shot about 22-24 boxes (roughly 220 to 240 rounds), so I guess I went a bit overboard. I have shot the magnums before, but I usually only shot about 40-50 rounds in one sitting, with the rest being 2 3/4" shot.

Anyway, it does not hurt, but the discoloration was a first. Sorry ZJJ, but there was no blood or tearing of the flesh. ;)

full_20637_p332524.jpg

Damn Joe, my shoulder looked like that after 800+ over a weekend with my Rem1100 last year, also interesting to see where the bruise is, mine was more inboard, on the pec area. How do you mount your gun? I have found that making a solid "pocket" with my shoulder gives me the best long term comfort, and minimized the bruising. This last class with my new Bernardelli I shot about 900 rounds of 2-3/4 dr eq & some 3 dr eq and looked no where near as bad.

100+ rounds of 3 1/2" nitro mags out of a shotgun that weighs only 4 lbs was just too much. Then on top of that 100+ rounds of 3" nitro mags out of an M2 tactical that weighs less than 7 lbs did not help. I think if I were using an 8-9 lbs field gun I would have been okay, but 4 lbs for a gun shooting 3 1/2" inch rounds is a bit excessive. Also, the type of shooting we were doing probably added to the bruising.

We were launching coffee cans and shooting them out of the air, and even with rocks in them, they would not go too far, so we stood on top of a hill and shot them as they came down. The coffee cans had to be hit soon after launch as they would not stay in "flight" like a clay. This led to movements that required quick target aquisition.

I generally keep the buttstock planted on my shoulder next to my pec, but the quick herky jerky motions shooting the coffee can probably lead to a few shots where the bottom pointed portion of the buttstock hitting my arm.

It was still fun. :)

The Nova also did not have the comfortech stock and the barrel was only 11". You really need this for the entry model shooting the 3 1/2" nitromags.

Edited by jchung

Understood, mine weighs 8-3/4# - note to self "Nitro Mags are evil"

Sounds like you had some fun none the less, glad you made it out

8 3/4 lbs? You shotgun would have been most welcome. :drool:

The scary thing is that my Benelli M2 at under 7 lbs and with an 18.5" barrel was the longest and heaviest gun out there. The next longest barrel was a 13" Wilson, Remi 1100, and FN autoloader. One guy had a Benelli M1 with a 10" barrel.

With the spread these guns made, it was amazing how quickly they shredded the 55 gallon barrels. I think the same wide spread was what helped us all hit the coffee cans too.

3 1/2" Nitro mags really are very brutal, and I'm not just talking about the recoil either. They can pretty much penetrate anything that standard shotshells have trouble getting through. You have to try them out, just use a nice and heavy field gun. :thumbsup:

Hmmn... I brace my shotty more on my pec and chest, not so much on my actual arm. Perhaps I'm doing this wrong, but I never hurt after I shoot.

I guess you missed this part of my post.

We were launching coffee cans and shooting them out of the air, and even with rocks in them, they would not go too far, so we stood on top of a hill and shot them as they came down. The coffee cans had to be hit soon after launch as they would not stay in "flight" like a clay. This led to movements that required quick target aquisition.

I generally keep the buttstock planted on my shoulder next to my pec, but the quick herky jerky motions shooting the coffee can probably lead to a few shots where the bottom pointed portion of the buttstock hitting my arm

I think the buttstock only hit my arm a few times, but remember that I was shooting a VERY lite entry shotgun (roughly 4lbs in weight) with an extremely short barrel, and the rounds I was using were 3 1/2" nitromags.

I guess you missed this part of my post.

You mean we are required to read initial posts before responding? :thumbsup:

Yup, I guess it is kind of like the required readings I had to do in school WAAAAAAAY back when.....

Wow, a lot of time has passed since those days.

thats pretty much where i shoulder it... your a little lower on the arm but bassicly the same....

Yeah i get bruised up a little but hell its worth it.

pain usually comes after the discoloration turns purple atleast for me.

attic.gif

grnz.gif

Probably over looked it, but who makes 3"- 3.5" Slugs in 10rnd boxes?

Oy Vei, the details!

Okay, I don't remember all of the exact specs but here is what I remember shooting...

3 1/2" Nitromag #2 shot in 10rd boxes

3" Remington high velocity slugs in 5rd boxes (didn't shoot many of those)

3 1/2" 766gr slugs in 5rd boxes (didn't shoot many of those either, but I remember the grains as it was an unholy amount)

Most of the rounds we shot were Remington rounds, and most of what we shot were either buckshot, or #2 shot. There was some Winchester high velocity 3" and they were also in 10rd boxes, and I didn't shoot them, but I think I saw some Federal rounds of some sort in what looked like 10rd boxes, but again I didn't shoot the Federal.

I was wearing jeans, a grey t shirt, black boots, a black Benelli cap, ESS eye wear, and AOS ears with orange plugs under them. I ate a burger and two hot dogs with turkey franks. Ketchup on all of them, but a bit of mustard on one of the franks. I think the rolls were potato rolls. I'll try and track down who bought the buns and report back to you on that one. :P

Didn't catch the Nitro mag part, was thinking Nitro Hevi Shot.

Was gonna ask for a few boxes if you were just burning through the $60 a box stuff.

:P

I was wearing jeans, a grey t shirt, black boots, a black Benelli cap, ESS eye wear, and AOS ears with orange plugs under them. I ate a burger and two hot dogs with turkey franks. Ketchup on all of them, but a bit of mustard on one of the franks. I think the rolls were potato rolls. I'll try and track down who bought the buns and report back to you on that one.

Ah.... but at what time would the midnight train from Ontario reach Hawaii on the 31st of February?

hmmm

Didn't catch the Nitro mag part, was thinking Nitro Hevi Shot.

Was gonna ask for a few boxes if you were just burning through the $60 a box stuff.

:P

I was wearing jeans, a grey t shirt, black boots, a black Benelli cap, ESS eye wear, and AOS ears with orange plugs under them. I ate a burger and two hot dogs with turkey franks. Ketchup on all of them, but a bit of mustard on one of the franks. I think the rolls were potato rolls. I'll try and track down who bought the buns and report back to you on that one.

Ah.... but at what time would the midnight train from Ontario reach Hawaii on the 31st of February?

hmmm

5:08 PM, and yes, it does cross the Pacific too. :)

Hmmn... I brace my shotty more on my pec and chest, not so much on my actual arm. Perhaps I'm doing this wrong, but I never hurt after I shoot.

dont mean to nitpick but your pec is your chest. Or atleast the vast majority of ur upper chest(unless you have misshapen pecs)

dont mean to nitpick but your pec is your chest. Or atleast the vast majority of ur upper chest(unless you have misshapen pecs)

Yup, misshapen.

Nah, what I mean, more accurately, is the top of my pec and beside my shoulder joint, but below my actual shoulder. Does this make sense? If not, take your left hand and pretend you're listening to the National Anthem... where it falls naturally, that's what I mean. I guess I consider the pec to be more of the "man-boob" area... oh well.