Third Person Mod

I think I just found what Willie is talking about. Open up human.dxe (data\lib\units\types\beings) and search for 'set_head_visibility'.

I haven't gone through the steps to modify my game for third person perspective, and I'm not quite sure how to modify a DXE file. Perhaps someone else can continue on from here?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey guys just a quick note, you do _not_ need to edit the 3dsmax files or anything else like that in order to make the head show. Im not a scripter but I do know that the headmodel is simply tagged as hidden in the script for the the player. it should be somewhere in "human.dsf" something along the lines of "head visibility" or the like.

Thx! :grin1: Now the problem is: How do we decompile / compile the required file? :(

Just a thought, maybe make the camera go also to Mitchell instead of one of the team mates and then just back that view up, cause I know for a fact when you go to the team mate cameras Mitchells head is there, I am not sure where you would look as I havent even extracted the Bundle file yet, but im guessing that might be a good way to get around the headless leader lol.

Maybe ill spend tonight looking at trying to find where maybe I could change some of those options.

• 2 weeks later...

Except the fact that Mitchell's head seems to use Kirkland's texture instead of a having a own texture....uh....nope, not yet. We need to find a way to access the DXE files because there's a line in one of them (human.dxe) which keeps Mitchell's head hidden in FPV! :(

Without access to this file, we won't be able to show his head.

Edited by Vth_F_Smith

what about the camera problems.. has any of those been fixed? what i mean is when in 3rd person view your player will go off screen and wonder around and all of that stuff.. any fixed views or more stable ones yet?

well apparently there is a fix for xtream's camera, but i never got it working (i wasn't the one who figured this out...)

what you do is:

------

***it is important you follow this step by step don't skip any...

------

1. go into the context.html (located in your GRAW directory)

2. scroll down to the bottom and find the line:

<compile xml="false"

3. change it to:

<compile xml="true"

4. go into data Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter\data\settings

(make sure u have xtreams camera in the camera_settings.xml)

5. make a back up of you camera_effects.xml and camera_effects.xml.bin

6. go into the camera_effects.xml and change all of the sin and cosine values to 0

**im going to duble post the .xml file for you to copy and paste... (dont flame)

7. save the camera_effects.xml

8. delete the camera_effects.xml.bin

9.make a game; a NEW camera_effects.xml.bin should have been created

------

**well that is suspose to stop the camera swurving, but i haven't been able to get it to work, please try it, and if you manage to get it working let me know :)

--------------------------

as for the .dxe files and thirdperson head... thank nemon for working on a decompiler!

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=36087

(it's not done yet...)

credits: SneakSpook

Edited by Beers

(make sure you remove the camera_effects.xml.bin file and then let the game recreate the file cause if you dont the .bin will overide your changes)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>

<camera_shakes>

<shake name="shakey_cam" spin="sin(t)/5" tilt="cos(2*t)/10" roll="sin(-t)/3" frequency="0.0" amplitude="0.0"/>

<shake name="breathing" cx="sin(t/2)" cz="sin(t)" amplitude="0" frequency="0"/>

<shake name="headbob" cx="sin(t)*2" cz="sin(2*t)" amplitude="0" frequency="0"/>

<shake name="tilt" tilt="1" amplitude="0.0"/>

<shake name="bank" roll="1" amplitude="0.0"/>

<shake name="land" spin="sin(t)" tilt="cos(t)" roll="sin(t)" frequency="0" amplitude="0.0" sustain="0.1" decay="1"/>

<shake name="ranged_hit_1" spin="sin(t/2)" tilt="cos(t/2)" frequency="0" amplitude="0.0" attack="0.1" sustain="0.01" decay="0.5"/>

<shake name="ranged_hit_2" spin="sin(t)" tilt="cos(t/3)" frequency="0" amplitude="0.0" attack="0.1" sustain="0.01" decay="0.5"/>

<shake name="ranged_hit_3" spin="sin(t/3)" tilt="cos(t)" frequency="0" amplitude="0.0" attack="0.1" sustain="0.01" decay="0.5"/>

<shake name="bullet_hit_cypher" spin="sin(t)" tilt="cos(t/3)" frequency="0" amplitude="0.0" attack="0.1" sustain="0.04" decay="0.5"/>

<shake name="cypher_roll" roll="1" amplitude="1"/>

<shake name="explosion_hit" spin="sin(t)" tilt="cos(t)" roll="sin(t)" frequency="0" amplitude="0.0" sustain="0.1" decay="2"/>

<shake name="melee_hit" spin="sin(t)" tilt="cos(t)" roll="sin(t)" frequency="0" amplitude="0.0" sustain="0.1" decay="2"/>

<shake name="fire_weapon" tilt="3" frequency="0" amplitude="0.0" attack="0.2" sustain="0.1" decay="0.2"/>

<shake name="distant_explosion0" spin="sin(t)/50" tilt="cos(t)/50" frequency="0.0" amplitude="0.0" attack="0.1" sustain="0.3" decay="2.1"/>

<shake name="side_explosion" spin="sin(t)/2" tilt="cos(t)/50" roll="sin(t)/10" frequency="0.0" amplitude="0.0" attack="0.1" sustain="0.2" decay="0.7"/>

<shake name="front_explosion" spin="sin(t)/50" tilt="cos(t)/2" frequency="0.0" amplitude="0.0" attack="0.1" sustain="0.2" decay="0.7"/>

<shake name="behind_explosion" spin="sin(t)/50" tilt="cos(-t)/2" frequency="0.0" amplitude="0.0" attack="0.1" sustain="0.2" decay="0.7"/>

<shake name="sub_cq_messhall_bridge" spin="sin(t)/25" tilt="cos(t)/25" frequency="0.0" amplitude="0.0" attack="0.1" sustain="0.3" decay="1.6"/>

<shake name="menu_shaking" spin="sin(t)/5" tilt="cos(2*t)/10" roll="cos(t/3)/8" frequency="0.0" amplitude="0.0"/>

<shake name="cam_move_left" cx="-1" amplitude="0.0" attack="0.4" sustain="-1" decay="1.5"/>

<shake name="cam_move_right" cx="1" amplitude="0.0" attack="0.4" sustain="-1" decay="1.5"/>

<shake name="cam_move_up" cz="1" amplitude="0.0" attack="0.4" sustain="-1" decay="1.5"/>

<shake name="cam_move_down" cz="-1" amplitude="0.0" attack="0.4" sustain="-1" decay="1.5"/>

<!--<shake name="cam_shake" spin="sin(t)/5" tilt="cos(2*t)/10" roll="cos(t/3)/8" frequency="0.0" amplitude="0.0" sustain="-1"/>-->

<shake name="cam_shake" spin="sin(t)" tilt="cos(t)" frequency="0.0" amplitude="0.0"/>

<shake name="AA_hit" spin="sin(t)+ rnd()*1" tilt="sin(t)+ rnd()*1" roll="0" frequency="0" amplitude="0" sustain="0.2" decay="0.8"/>

<shake name="stryker_shake" spin="sin(t)+ rnd()*-0.3" tilt="sin(t)+ rnd()*-0.3" roll="0" frequency="0" amplitude="0" sustain="3" decay="0.8"/>

<shake name="stryker_shake2" spin="sin(t)+ rnd()*0.2" tilt="sin(t)+ rnd()*0.4" roll="0" frequency="0" amplitude="0.0" sustain="3" decay="0.8"/>

</camera_shakes>

<!-- ?? /hjalmar

spin="sin(t)/5 + rnd()*0.02"

-->

Awsome :)

The camera Should be further away Though. Its way to close now.

Yeah, I tried to mimic the perspective of the XBox360 game! ;)

However there are still a few problems to solve. There's no switch to the aimpoint etc. camera yet, the command menue isn't working as it should and then there's....uh...well....see for yourself:

GRAW - Third person view

I need to find a way to stick the camera to Mitchell's head - almost like in Splinter Cell.

Edited by Vth_F_Smith

Yeah, I tried to mimic the perspective of the XBox360 game! ;)

However there are still a few problems to solve. There's no switch to the aimpoint etc. camera yet, the command menue isn't working as it should and then there's....uh...well....see for yourself:

GRAW - Third person view

I need to find a way to stick the camera to Mitchell's head - almost like in Splinter Cell.

you could try xtream's camera, it goes with the person, and has a swaying effect when you run and what not...

However, the only problem with it is the camera and crossair sways when your not moving, or if your walking, etc

a fix is posted above, but i wasn't able to get it to work... (then again, i did mess up my game... don't ask me how i messed it up, im re-installing when next patch arrives :P )

(scroll way up for fix (paste that xml stuff), scroll down for xtreams camera, make sure you delete or back up the other existing entries in the camera_settings.xml)

------------

xtream:

Maybe this will help guys this is the setting from the third person view that was intended but not used. Everything is good cept some swaying from left to right when standing idle. The ingame camera is a combination of 2 cameras, they are as follows.

<camera name="person" type="target">

<camera local_offset="0 0 0">

<controller type="distance" distance="200" lerp="0.1" track_target="false" />

<controller track_target="false" type="behind" angle="0" lerp="0.08"/>

<controller type="height" height="50" lerp="0.1" track_target="false"/>

</camera>

<target local_offset="0 0 250" >

<controller type="distance" distance="0" lerp="0.9"/>

</target>

</camera>

<camera name="new_person" type="target">

<camera local_offset="0 0 0">

<controller track_target="false" type="distance" distance="200" lerp="0.08"/>

<controller track_target="false" type="behind" angle="0" lerp="0.1"/>

<controller track_target="false" type="stick_tilt" speed="15" min_tilt="-30" max_tilt="60" absolute="true" start_angle="15" lerp="0.5"/>

</camera>

<target local_offset="0 0 0">

<controller type="distance" distance="0" lerp="0.5"/>

</target>

</camera>

Good luck with fine tuneing it.

Do what you want with this information.

Edited by Beers

I made another video to better illustrate the 3rd person mode. I wasn't going to bother uploading this but it apears i uploaded it anyway so i may aswell post it.

http://nemon.myby.co.uk/GRAW_ThirdPerson2.wmv

Nice :) , it looks like all that needs to be done is fix the position of the camera, and fix it from not following the guy left and right (woohoo!).

*I still can't believe you keymapped it!!!

Edited by Beers

I made another video to better illustrate the 3rd person mode. I wasn't going to bother uploading this but it apears i uploaded it anyway so i may aswell post it.

http://nemon.myby.co.uk/GRAW_ThirdPerson2.wmv

Nice :) , it looks like all that needs to be done is fix the position of the camera, and fix it from not following the guy left and right (woohoo!).

*I still can't believe you keymapped it!!!

Uhm....no unfortunately that's not all that needs to be done. Mouse based orders for example are currently not working ATM. If you go prone the reticule stays about 5 feet above your head, instead of on your height. As soon as you move, the reticule is blocking your sight (which means you don't see what you're shooting at). And the script Nemon is using to keymap the FPV / TPV currently only works in the first mission etc. - there's still much work to be done! :(

But we're getting closer! :)

BTW: I also created a video using Nemon's script. What you are about to see by clicking this link, is the parashooting intro from the first mission - but this time in full 3rd person perspective.

http://www.distant-worlds.net/Test/GRAW-3rdPerson.wmv

At this point I'd like to apologize for some graphic issues, but unfortunately the game is not yet fully supporting 7900 GTX cards! :(

Edited by Vth_F_Smith

I have a feeling that might be the only way to run in 3rd person mode. Tweaks to camera position and angle might be possible but i susspect it will only work the same way.

damn that was nuts! :) when you say "only work the same way" do you mean the level by level implementation you guys were talking about?

I have a feeling that might be the only way to run in 3rd person mode. Tweaks to camera position and angle might be possible but i susspect it will only work the same way.

damn that was nuts! :) when you say "only work the same way" do you mean the level by level implementation you guys were talking about?

I think he meant exactly that! :(