Revamping GR.

Hi.

Haven't been on here all that long, but as I understand it, GR2 was ditched on PC because of concerns raised by the GR fan community about 'arcadiness', yes?

And the only thing that hardcore fans of GR grumble occassionally about concerning the original, is that some of the graphics are becoming slightly dated, yes? And some of us seem a little sceptical about GR:AW (I hope I got that right). Can there be so much 'technology' in a game (spy drones, etc), that it loses the essence of the original? At the moment, I find GR (without the threat indicator) one of the most stress-inducing games I've ever played - in a good way, of course.

Some of the mods I've played are absolutely staggering in terms of their quality. In fact, most of the time I find myself using mods simply for the very impressive visuals/models many add to the characters.

Without in any way meaning to undermine the efforts of all the hard-working modders, I wonder how many hypothetcial 'pre-orders' would be necessary for Red Storm to consider developing 'Ghost Recon: Even Prettier Edition' - same great game, new models/textures/gubbins where necessary? I suppose I'm really thinking of the level textures - the buildings and whatnot.

All this is fantasy and pretty academic given that GR:AW is almost here, I acknowledge, but I'd buy it. Who else would? Why, and why not? Is it all about looks?

Edited by johnnyblossom

Yes a prettier version of the original would be nice, but it is not completely about looks.

Off the top of my head they could improve SP by making your squad mates more able.

For both SP and MP, deal effectively with the glitches in the game.

Yes, kudos to the modders. I would have moved on along time ago without them.

What would be neat, is to take GR, put it on something like the Source Engine that HL2 uses, open up access to all the terrain and more of the buildings, and smarten up the AI.

I would sell something to go buy it if they did that.

@Ronin,

I agree. I don't think there is going to be the slightest resemblance to GR from what we have seen and heard so far.

I have this eery feeling that it's going to resemble BF2(ACK! ! What a lousy waste of money and CD of a game ! ! IT SUCKS ! !) more than GR.

Edited by Specter

There has been old descussions regarding this, I started a thread back in early 2003 regarding features for updated GR / GR 2 here:

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=159&hl=

.. but anyway, a basic update of Igor that would fix a few bugs neaten up AI & Team behaviour .. enhance use of larger res skins / textures etc would be good. Dynamic Skybox ... that sort of thing. With just far more scope on scripting for Igor for modders. Open source would be great.

I would.

I think GR:AW, in all its incarnations, is nothing short of blasphemy.  I wish they would just call it something else, anything, other than Ghost Recon.

personally, I think the only connection this game has to Ghost recon, is Ubi wanting to use Tom Clancy's name to market it. Nothing more. that and to tie it to a game that defined a genre.

• 3 weeks later...

@johnnyblossom,

a good synopsis of the position & great Q about possibility of 'Ghost Recon: Even Prettier Edition!' My thoughts parallel yours regarding the excellence of many of the mods, too. Clearly, the modders are very much responsible for GR Classic's continued popularity.

@Calius, I enjoyed reading the posts in your thread, http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=159&hl=;

There's some very good commentary, and it's pretty clear that realism, command of one's squad, and more sensible ai behaviours - both our Ghost teammates' (less helpless/foolish/suicidal) & the enemies' (less sharpshooterish, no longer able to kill us from 300 yards or living despite 'nades blowing up next to them, etc.) - are among the key variables people were hoping to see improved. Hum, nobody was begging for full-out arcade huds, drones, cross-com, etc.?

:whistle: As far as skins, weapons, vehicles, well... modders have done wonders with these already, so?

Can there be so much 'technology' in a game (spy drones, etc), that it loses the essence of the original?
To me, the upcoming GR:AW is looking like a good (sad) example of just that! Ronin said it perfectly:

I think GR:AW, in all its incarnations, is nothing short of blasphemy. I wish they would just call it something else, anything, other than Ghost Recon.

All this is. . . pretty academic given that GR:AW is almost here. . .

Er, maybe not at all academic, as w/Ubi-RSE, we've learned not to count chickens before they're hatched! We still may never see PC-GR:AW, and/or if we do see it, we may wish we hadn't ;) as it may be nothing like GR Classic! GRIN...? :rofl::devil:

Hear this Ubi:

Give eskwaad the skin job and whoever else was involved in that other skin job that fell off.... :wall: can't remember the name

Weapons: DTD team, Earl

Mission: Sixpence

Source Engine from HL2 or FarCry, with some SplinterCell tech...after all the best missions are the one's you never had to use your weapon.

Consultant: Hatchforce/Marcinko/Serellan (not in order)

Map: whats his name in Obsidian Edge

Get one hell of a story...keep it adult/NC-17

package for $20 in DVD-ROM.

ZJJ and Janie42 to give some feminie stink...I mean style :shifty: GI JANE flavor.

.....I'm on stealth mode :ph34r: ......

Hear this Ubi:

(Various practical suggestions are presented...)

<-- Ubi's reply: --> :yawn: We weren't listening.

Opps... :seehearspeak:

Package for $20 in DVD-ROM.

<-- Ubi's reply: --> :rant:

Oh, heard that one, did ya'?

ZJJ and Janie42 to give some feminine stink... I mean style :shifty: GI JANE flavor.

.....I'm on stealth mode :ph34r: ......

Quick, where's that Cpl Ledanek? Where'd he go?