particle systems?

cobaka

Anyone ever try a particle system on a map? I was watching the leaves falling and thought that would be cool. According the the mapeditor.hlp you can add particle systems, but there is nothing about them in the PDF. I haven't been successful in getting it to work in game.

Thoughts?

Anyone ever try a particle system on a map? I was watching the leaves falling and thought that would be cool. According the the mapeditor.hlp you can add particle systems, but there is nothing about them in the PDF. I haven't been successful in getting it to work in game.

Thoughts?

Would it be possible to fake that using multiple planes, with animated textures of leaves falling (alpha mapped, of course), in a particle system's place?

I might be wrong but i think particle system was ment to be used for efects like smoke, explosions, snow and stuff or maybe not. Maybe it needs to be triggered or something.

Too bad that documentation on this area is weak.

I was thinking the same some months back but couoldn't find any information on it either.

AFAIK, it's not possible to use custom particle systems.

The problem lies in the fact that the system needs to be triggered from within GR's engine, where the effect-types are mentioned.

I don't think it 's possible to create a new type within the code.

Second problem is: how is it exported? Which parameters does it need for exporting correctly?

• 2 weeks later...

you could make a ton of dyn objects, lol, j/k. i had read in the hlp file about the mention of supporting particle systems too. i didnt try much and never got one to work, would be cool tho. thinkin about the systems that are in the game, rain and snow, they are kinda global, like they occur in room 1, not a zone or w/e. you wouldnt want leaves falling from the sky anyway is my point, it would need to be different.

• 11 years later...

Apologies for some necroposting here.

It is possible. In 3ds Max go to Geometry -> Particle Systems. Choose one of those:

·   Snow, Rain

·    PCloud

·    Super Spray

·    Blizzard

·    Spray

·    PArray

Place it on a map, name it X_particlename (e.g. 1_PArray01). Don't forget to set some params in Modify Tab.

The same way we can create particle effects (fire, smoke) and export theme to the *.pob files (particle_effectsN.pob), but i don't know how to activate theme in the game.

Edited by AlexKimov