Help me find a good Mountain BIKE

Stalker_Zero

I trust my buddies on ghostrecon.net. Can anyone of you help me find a good deal?

Not the department store bikes those are cheap and dumb. I was thinking something like the trek y26 cause its entry level and dual suspension. And its around $400.00 from a local store.

But I want to find a better price online.

The weather is gettin nice and I need to start exercising more.

Any other brands? good price deals?

I really don't know that much to specify that well.

I'm just looking for a decent dual suspension bike that isn't too heavy or expensive.

Preferably under $500 bucks american.

I was looking at the mongoose wing elite or wing comp. Those look good and while they retail at about $500 I can find them online for $350.00

Some people have complained about the trek y26 as being too heavy and rear shocks that make too much noise. Online the trek y26 is about $300 but buyin em from the store is like around $400.00

Its hard to decide.

Some people say its better to buy a good front suspension bike for my budget instead of a low quality dual suspension. But I think there are good deals out there. I just need to hook up with someone who knows all the inside info.

Got any? Inside info I mean. :huh:

Front Suspension bikes are good if you want a light, 'do anything' kinda bike. You can do Cross County riding, jumping or even trials. Components are likely to be better than Dual Suspension bikes.

Dual Sus bikes are heavier due to the rear shock. They are more comfortable that Front Sus bikes and can go downwards faster. :devil:

A £500 hardtial (front sus) will have better components than a dual sus bike. The frame and forks will take up the biggest % of the overall price, leaving the rest for the components. On a dual suspension bike, the frame, forks and rear shock will take up the biggest % of the total price. Obviously, with the inclusion of rear shock it will leave less money for components.

Its hard to decide between a hardtail and full susser when on a budget. Taking the hardtial means better components and a lighter ride. Trust me, when going up hill this counts! But a dual susser offers more comfort and faster speeds downhill with the downsides been its heavy and the component range wont be as good as a hardtial! :wacko:

:D i think i can help here. I don't know alot about bikes but i bought a new one last spring and i always do my research before buying something new. A very good site i can give you is this mountain bike review site. It has reviews on all the components of most brand name bikes and has a forum for any questions you may have. From what i've used, the forum is excellent with really good responses :thumbsup:

Another thing is to look at all the brand names. Trek, Giant, Cannondale, Kona, Specialized, Gary Fisher etc.. Don't go saying 'I'm only going to get a Trek because blah blah blah'. I did that an ended up with a bike that isn't bad, but i probalby could have done better because i refused to look at other brands.

Also look at what you really want on the bike. Things such as adjustable shocks, type of shifters, and pedals. Last but not least i suggest you go to a local shop and ride the bike, make sure the size fits and you like the way it rides. Even if you buy it online, go intoa store and just show some interest and they should let you ride it.

If i have time later maybe i'll take a glance at some and see what i find for under $500. Best of luck :thumbsup:

DS22

I ride a lightweight hardtail. Its value surpassed £3000 back in '02 but now its down to about £1000 because of out-dated technology and wear and tear.

I prefer hardtails simply because they are lighter and look better. ;) Hills are hard enough to go up without more weight from the rear suspension. My bike has taken a few knocks and abuse over the years but everything barring tires and brakes are original. The high-end Shimano components can take some real abuse. If I'd of bought a dual susser, the components wouldn't of been as good and I may of needed to replace them by now.

Pic 1 | Pic 2

I personally wouldn't go for a full susser below £1500. At your price range the components won't be very good on a hardtail, let alone a dual suspension bike. The rear shock's will also be heavy and clumbersome. IMO, dual sussers are for fat buggers and rich buggers. :thumbsup:

Argh you guys are killing me here! :wacko:

So for my budget I could either get a hardtail front suspension with better components or a more comfortable dual suspension with cheapo components.

Could someone explain to me what components are we talking about and in what ways they are critical to performance?

edit: And oh yeah that mountain bike review site is where I been hanging out at. Please do me a favor deadlysniper and find the customer reviews on the mongoose wing elite and then discuss it here. That goes for you too Avey. Cause for the most part the owners seem to like the bike.

Thanks.

Edited by Stalker_Zero

I'm with Avey--I've got a specialized-- hardrock comp. It all depends what you'll be using the bike for. If you're just wheeling around town, stick with an inexpensive 3 or 10 speed. If you will be getting off road a mountain bike is the way to go. Don't bank on online reviews--go out and try different bikes and pick what feels good to you. Do a search for these forums--we had a lengthy discussion on mountain bikes awhile back--should give you more food for thought. I think a major item that often goes unmentioned is the bike seat. I got a split seat--much easier on the family jewels. I got my bike on sale for less than 400/00 direct from Bicycle Village in Colorado.

I've heard from someone who's a MB fanatic that unless your rear suspension is really stiff, some of your pedalling energy gets diverted to the rear shock (wasted). That is, for each turn of your cranks, your back end bobs up and down slightly, using up energy that would be better applied towards foward motion.

Maybe frame design has changed in the few years since he told me that, but if you're stuck to a specific price range, I think you'd be way better off getting a bike with the best shifters, brakes and lightest rims etc....you can afford rather than getting a good soft tail and skimping on other components. I say good soft tail because nowadays you can get cheap soft tails that are actually crap.

Unless you intend to do extreme downhilling, I'd say go for a hard-tail (from one of the excellent makes mentioned) with the best shifters and lightest frame/components you can afford.

BTW, this guy's bike (can't remember the make) was a soft tail and cost him 5 grand by the time I saw it, and he could never seem to stop upgrading it. I remember laughing that he spent 150 (cdn) bucks on a titanium-rail seat when I could shed more weight going to the john. It's easy to get carried away on the weight reduction. I had a measly rock hopper and never had a problem keeping up to him ...though I chickened out of alot of his suicidal downhill runs and took the long way round quite often, heh heh.

If you do go down "suicidal" downhill runs though, I imagine a soft-tail could save your ######. Otherwise, while I'm hardly an expert, I feel pretty safe recommending the best hard-tail you can afford.

OK then I guess its a hardtail for me then.

But I was really looking forward to a dual suspension. :(

Could you give me any suggestions on which brands and models? And if the components will be better how about letting us know which components I or the other readers here should be looking for.

:huh:

I think probably the most important thing you should be looking at are the shifters (on the handlebar) and front/rear derailleurs (move the chains onto the different gears). Nothing worse than going up a steep hill and having to stop because you couldn't shift gears smoothly and lost your momentum...this is assuming of course that you intend to get into true mountain-biking and not just puttering around on the streets. But hey...a quick google search got me these links, which should help you make a more educated and accurate decision.

Here ya go!

Buying a mountain bike

Buying a mountain bike

Buying a mountain bike

Buying a mountain bike

Why should you have gotten the wahoo?  According to the bike's information it has v brakes.  I hear you should get disc brakes.

Any comments?

V's are lighter and in most cases just as powerful in terms of stopping power as Mechanical disks. The only advantage of mechanical disks over V's are that they can take more punishment; going through streams etc and they still work just as they did when dry.

Hydraulic disks are the daddies, but you won't find them on a $500 bike. ;)

ya if you can, get Disc brakes, but unless your a hardcore rider, i think V brakes will do you just fine :thumbsup: I have V brakes and they haven't let me down yet. I was going to get the Wahoo but i hadn't had a bike in so long when i saw the Trek at the first store i just bought it, i regret it now but its still a good bike. I may upgrade it this summer, we'll see. Depending on how much off-road/trail riding your doing too get a good rear deraileur, i've already had to replace mine once after bailing and it cost me $60 but i'm sure i'll have to do it again this year so i may get a better one.

DS22

For US$500 there isn't going to be much difference in component spec or frame material– it will be aluminum and low-end Shimano across the board. This isn't a bad thing, by the way, just a way of saying that, at that price range, there won't be much difference between bikes in terms of performance, weight or component spec. All of the bikes will be good for casual riding.

What's more important is that you get a bike you are comfortable on and will enjoy riding. All of the companies mentioned so far are good bets. You should go to your local bike store and ride the ones you're interested in, because that's the only way to know for sure, and you should buy the one on which you feel the most comfortable. When I help my friends pick out bikes I always make sure they get saddle time on them.

For the guy who posted the shots of the Stumpy: I went to college with the guys who founded Thompson components.

Well after struggling to accept the fact that at my price range its a good idea to get a hardtail...I finally went to a local bike shop.

I didn't buy anything but I wanted to check out what they got and do a frame size fitting.

Apparently for the most part I need a medium size frame or around 18" inches.

I checked out the trek 3900 which they had for only $309.00 and the trek 4300 for $339.00

But then I got a load of the specialized hardrock and I think I'm in love. :wub:

They have a version there with v brakes so the price of it is only $329.00. I love the beefy frame although its a tad heavier than the trek's.

However the trek 3900 is cheaper and have more sizes to try to fit me. But something tells me I would probably be happier with the specialized hardrock.

What do you guys think? :)

05HardrockSport_Blk_l.jpg

Your right its only got v brakes cause of the price and I'm gonna ask em to switch out the pure mountain bike tires for something that could work in both pavement and dirt.

Any suggestions there as to what tires?

Edited by Stalker_Zero

Keep the tires. They work just as well on tarmac as they do on the trails. :)

As for either the Trek or Specialized, its up to you. As mentioned they will both be top quality bikes. Ride them, see which feels the best.

i don't know if you can get them in the states but Orange make pretty sweet bikes. i've got the Gringo model but mine's a year - 18 months old, i'll get sum pics up later if you want a look.

other than that i can't add to what has already been said and that specialized looks sweet