Lan Party Help

Cobblers

Hi to all,

I'm in the process of organising a GR2 Lan Party in Northampton.

Now I know the basics of what I need to do/organise. But what switch boxes should I use. I know these are expensive, but I want something that is easy to use, can host about 30-40 people and as low price as possible.

I want everything, right? So any help or advice you can give me to do with my above question, or anything to do about Lan Partys would be appreciated.

To answer your question, I find almost any brand of the 10/100 Ethernet switches made by the better-known network hardware companies are pretty reliable these days ... Linksys, D-Link, SMC. The cheapest switches around where I live are SMC ones.

I do not recommend using hubs or routers for the number of people you want. Hubs don't prevent "collisions" of data packets like switches, and can lead to network traffic slowdown. Routers can cause headaches if you have to remember passwords to adjust firmware settings. Switches are nice because you just plug and play.

16-port switches are pretty expensive. Depending if you get 30-40 people, consider getting four or five less-expensive 8-port switches and have an entry fee to cover the cost of your hardware. Remember you need lots of Cat-5 cabling too which can be cheaper if you know how to make your own cables.

Some of the biggest headaches hosting a large LAN party is not setting up the hardware, but finding space, organizing and tracking sign-ups, feeding people, setting up details of tournaments, prizes, and getting help troubleshooting players system/network configurations during setup.

Dune over at 3d Retreat has helped organize some huge successful LAN parties in Texas. Check out how he dealt with some of the logistics here:

http://www.tangolan.com/

See if you can get a sponsor for your network equipement: a local computer store, etc.

Cheers for that guys. The advice given was very useful.

No BlueRose_76, I need to start organising it now so that everything is in place. I want it to happen as soon as GR2 comes out, or as near to that date as I can be. Then, if I know how much, where and what I need to bring to set it all up, then it will save me a lot of time. :)

making your own cable is by far the cheaper option (it can be as low as 1/4 the cost inc equipment if your making a large amount), if you want to have a go and need any help hook up with me on msn and i'll dig out my college notes on it