The 150th Boat Race Tomorrow!

Pyro_Monty

On Sunday 28th March, 1800 BST on BBC ONE and BBC Radio Five Live will be the 150th Oxford - Cambridge boat race, taking place on the River Thames in London.

See TheBoatRace.org for further details.

If you've ever wondered exactly what I mean when I talk about all this 'rowing' malarkey just watch this - it's the closest example you'll find.

Also, they seem to be running some sort of novelty sideshow on BBC ONE tonight called "The Other Boat Race" or something. Starts in five minutes.

I'm off to watch that.

Hmm, I take it you mean traditional for other sports, yeah?

Well, a few reasons I can think of:

• It may be reliant on tides, water levels, etc.
  • For the Boat Race, it's always been a Sunday, if I recall correctly.
  • There was a boatload (no pun intended) of rugby on today! :P

And there's always the explanation of:

• Why not?! :lol:

Can you tell I don't know? :ph34r:

Hmm, I take it you mean traditional for other sports, yeah?

Well, a few reasons I can think of:

• It may be reliant on tides, water levels, etc.
  • For the Boat Race, it's always been a Sunday, if I recall correctly.
  • There was a boatload (no pun intended) of rugby on today! :P

And there's always the explanation of:

• Why not?! :lol:

Can you tell I don't know? :ph34r:

Ah, just thought there may be some reason. My grandma was asking is all, so i told her I'd ask an expert. ;)

Ah, just thought there may be some reason. My grandma was asking is all, so i told her I'd ask an expert. 

It's lucky I turned up then, phew.

From: http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/to...r_boat_race.php

A BBC spokesman said the race's late start is down to the tide, not the TV schedulers. He said: "It is the first day of British summer time, so it should still be light at 6pm."

I think ITV have got the rights for the next few years. I can't understand why it needs to be televised, I could understand if the 2 teams had to race against others in order to get to the final, but as it is the same 2 teams every year I'm not a huge fan. My money's on the blue team.

Private Schools Association of Western Austrlia Head of the River was yesterday (saturday) I wasnt in it this year, i quit to concerntrate on studies <_<

Those Basstards Trinity won it to, <_<

Not sure what scotch (my skool) came yet, not the top 3, i know that much :(

Private Schools Association of Western Austrlia Head of the River was yesterday

Ah, excellent! What distance was it over? Was it coxed fours or eights or what?

BTW, just out of interest (and I may have asked you this before), what kind of 2K ergo scores do you normally get? I took 13 seconds off my PB two weeks ago - now that I'm getting a bit more committed to training (two regattas plus the Scottish Championships over the next couple of months!).

Anyway, it's a great day here so I'm off down to the river to complete our daily target of 20K at UT2. :(:wall:

That was a pretty interesting race. Whatever happened with Oxford's bow man doesn't justify their overall loss.

From the images we were getting, the only factor I could see to explain Oxford's general slowness was their length of stroke. Sure their rating was high enough, but they, unlike Cambridge, just weren't striding out any distance. Cambridge were really stretching out each stroke and leaning into their riggers, thus allowing them a far more leisurely rating (around 30-32 spm, IIRC, which is less than we usually race at! :o ).

I guess that's what happens when you contend a 6'1" stroke with a 6'6". -_-

@ Pyro:

Its a whole day event, with the tops crews from years 9-12 competing.

The actual Head of the River race is the 1st XIII (coxed) over 2000m.

The weather was appalling, with the winning time a whole minute off the course average. In the 3rd XIII race, and entire crew had to bail out of there boat before it sank!

if you go to www.scotch.wa.edu.au, you might be able to dig out some info in amongst all the crap (thats my schools home page)