Video Cards

Crimson

I haven't run any benchmarks since I installed the 9800....but about AA and AF...I run 4x AA and 8x AF....I didn't notice much of a performance hit when I went up from 2X AA and 4X AF....my games have never run smoother or looked prettier :wub:

I have a fairly stout system, and I don't really have any need to overclock. My rig and video card will do anything I want it to do, and at very high detail levels.

Just for some point of reference, I average between 60 and 150 frames per second with any given GR mission.

That's with Full Game Detail, Max Shadows, and everything set to High-Quality/4AA/4AF.

I am also using Omega's drivers ATM.

If you just prefer nVidia, that 5900 will still blow the doors of your 4400. If you favor switching to the dark side though, you'll be impressed. :thumbsup:

As a side note, I can run some benches for you. I don't really trust benches all that much, but numbers are numbers, eh?

No need for benches, as I see your numbers at AnandTech. ;):thumbsup:

This is tough. Looks as if the 5900 offers better frames at the cost of image quality, and is a smidge cheaper. On the other hand, it sounds like the 9800 really comes into its own when the AA and AF is beefed up, and it has better image quality.

:wall:

It's tobad the 9800 Pro built and powered by ATi isn't even close to the Sapphire's price. Is they're a huge difference between the two? (IIRC, ATi uses different RAM, that is better.)

I would say the 9800pro. if it was between the 5900ultra, it wouldb e preference. but between those, the 9800pro tends to be better.

and, as you said, the 5900 *might* be faster, but at the cost of image quality, you can just castrate the image quality for the 9800 also with the drivers :rofl:

anyways, I only compare equal image quality, so mipmap detail needs to be equal, etc, before I compare them in games.

Buff

some of the 3rd party cards do use diferent ram, but generaly as far as i can tell the saphire brands are as good as the BBA cards .

the lower price of the saphire card seems aimed at the recent Nvidia price drop and not the fact that the cards are cheaper made.

the image quality as far as ive been able to see is better with the 9800 pro card and you are right with AA and AF and high resolutions the ATI card comes into its own, tho the latest reviews of the 5950 cards do seem to indicate that the IQ has improved and all benchies ran seem to favour each brand 50% of the time.

if i had waited 6 months id seriously have a hard time deciding on which card to buy, tho i do think id still get the 9800 pro, the quiet single slot cooling the excellent video out quality and overall stability.

ATI releases 12 drivers a year now add to that Omegas 12 revisions a year and u have quite a few selections to choose from, so far to be honest i have had no driver related issues.

GR and Raven shield look purely amazing from 55 to 230 fps everything maxed with AA and AF.

at the end off the day buy the card u would prefer to rely on for atleast another year

Guest SI-Prozac

I got the 9800 Pro by ATI 128Mb

image quality is superb....

in RVS with Best Peformance ..... compared to Best Image quality is just crazy... the game looks totaly diffrent ... and the same goes for lock on...

but i did notice in farcry ( demo ) with AA on @ 8x it slowed down a bit.

i was just installing 3dmark 03 so ill have some scores here soon

ok loaded madonion 03 up default clocks adjusted to performance i scored 5595 bear in mind that this is also a cpu dependent test and not just a video card bench

i then instaled rage3d and did a small overclock of 401\342 and scored 5759 yes its not a huge diference but dont feel the need to push and or damage a card i cant afford to replace.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2034156

now i have seen overclocked scores over 7000 but dont know if this is with default cooling.

Edited by snakebite1967