GRAW with VISTA POLL

ROCO*AFZ*

GRAW Users, hardware + O/S  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have for the past 3 weeks been having major issues with GRAW and Vista.

I thought i had it solved but it comes back.

After installing GRAW on a fresh Vista load... it runs great, 1st map, then reduces to about 3-5 fps on the 2nd maps load.

I have updated my x-fi to the latest beta and same with the nvidia drivers

I have an AGP 6800GS, p4 3.0, 2GB ram, 80GB SATA and an x-fi xtreme music.

They all worked great in XP

I disabled the UAC in vista and reloaded GRAW. it lags at all resolutions. Sound is fine, but video is choppy at anything over 15 meters. if i stare at anything close i get about 30fps. It only happens at distances in the center of the screen. The sky also has high fps. I have also tried my onboard sound with no creative nor the drivers with the same result. everytime i re-install graw, 1st map runs great.

Oh, and i tried all compatibility modes on the shortcut + disabling aero and even windows classic mode.

This poll is to see who is having issues and who is not + just to see what everyone is running.

Also if the one's that are having problems could please list there problem in this thread.

Only one mate.

The game will crash on execute play ie disk in select say mission, start game crashes, just stops responding.

I come out after end task in task manager.

Reload and it works just fine.

This however does not happen every time, it will do it on lan mp and solo though.

I have a g8800 gtx so the drivers are still beta, like you I have gone back to OB sound Leadtek Abit AWD9MAX which seems fine.

I have sent infor to Ubisoft and Grin and also Nvidia, but no joy.

Ubisoft just said Vista not supported.

I am really hoping we can play GRAW2 on vista.??

So far everyone on vista has had issues... rather ati or nvidia. One also with no x-fi.

So.. the question is... will there be a Graw1 patch for vista? and will GRAW2 be Vista capable?

keep votiing guys. I am really interested in how this turns out. this weekend i may partition my drive. 100gb for vista and games for testing, 20 for XP and game that i want to play + drivers.

I also found with this poll so far i'm the only one playing GRAW on AGP and trying it with Vista... c'mon guys there must be some more out there LOL!

My company is a MS partner and we get eval copies of most of the software and os's. Yesterday I installed Vista Business and am having the same very poor performance as you. I have reduced resolutions set everything to low and still get a slide show. No problem loading missions or crashing that I can tell so far. MP is unplayable because of the extremely poor framerates. It's a slideshow when more than 1 tango is on the screen. Very choppy the rest of the time.

I think this OS will remain on a second drive in a swappable bay for evaluation purposes and won't even be loaded for dual boot until it matures. I'll stick with XP for my gaming for the time being. Oh and I voted earlier as still being on XP. So whoever can modify my votes to match Roco's.

Here are my spec's:

Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe mobo

2 GB DDR2

250 GB Sata II HD

Creative Audigy 2

2x 7600 nvidia (sli is not enabled because it isn't due for vista until March)

LG DVD-RW

Latest nvidia and creative drivers and Vista fully patched.

My company is a MS partner and we get eval copies of most of the software and os's. Yesterday I installed Vista Business and am having the same very poor performance as you. I have reduced resolutions set everything to low and still get a slide show. No problem loading missions or crashing that I can tell so far. MP is unplayable because of the extremely poor framerates. It's a slideshow when more than 1 tango is on the screen. Very choppy the rest of the time.

I think this OS will remain on a second drive in a swappable bay for evaluation purposes and won't even be loaded for dual boot until it matures. I'll stick with XP for my gaming for the time being. Oh and I voted earlier as still being on XP. So whoever can modify my votes to match Roco's.

Here are my spec's:

Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe mobo

2 GB DDR2

250 GB Sata II HD

Creative Audigy 2

2x 7600 nvidia (sli is not enabled because it isn't due for vista until March)

LG DVD-RW

Latest nvidia and creative drivers and Vista fully patched.

Ty for the reply. Yeah ... i like vista but it looks like it's a no GRAW1 O/S. From the poll so far it doesn't seem to be just an nvidia, creative or ati issue.

If you check out the 3d guru site on the 100.65 drivers post, it looks like most games are having real issues.

http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

I am getting to the stage when Ill put put xp pro back on until issues are sorted.

The vista problems affect not only sound and video.

Printers

External Lan drives

Network drives

Most of the driver issues aimed at vid and sound look like they will be sorted may onwards. WHQL side anyway.

I have a 8800GTX with an X-Fire Xtreme Gamer on Vista Home Premium 32 bits.

The bad:

- I have to run GRAW by choosing the right-click option 'Run as admin', even though I have an admin account. Otherwise the game won't run (not too big a problem).

- Everytime I want to play GRAW I have to say it's alright to run the exe because Vista tells me everytime it's from an unkown source (not too big a problem).

- I can only load one level in a Vista session and only startup GRAW once too. Reloading checkpoints of that same level is no problem, but as soon as I try to load another mission or a checkpoint from another level, the loading game stays on forever: ctrl-alt-del is the only way out. The same happens when I quit GRAW and start it up again. So in order to run GRAW twice or to go to another mission I have to restart the computer completely (quit a problem).

The good:

GRAW runs great on my computer and looks awesome. But that might be very personal because before I had my new computer I had (a.o.) a 9800 Pro and the demo of GRAW hardly ran on that one... ;) Having a great time here (apart from the non-quicksave problem which has nothing to do with this topic... ;) )

Hellogoodbye, check your file permissions on the GRAW folder and all objects underneath. Make sure your user has full control. I was getting a similar error initially, but when I chenged the file permissions (use the advanced settings) this changed and my problems just running the game and loading levels cleared up.

Roco, what I find hard to believe is that MS is driving Vista as a game platform and yet there aren't even drivers for graphics and audio that aren't sub par. I would have thought that this would have been key to release as a "Games for Windows" initiative and the implementation of DX10/9L that MS has been promoting for nearly the last year. I mean no SLI support? Come on. I would have thought they would be all over that fro nvidia. But I guess even though they have promoted it, it wasn't in their interest to make it happen.

All that means is more traction from gamers adopting Vista to take advantage of DX10. Which means slower adoption of the OS as a whole.

Remember though ... i have yet to see a game with the Game for windows sticker on it. This tells me it's going to be a gamnig platform for new games... not old.

It's like trying to get a C64 emulator to work on a pc from today. Some will load all the roms and some won't. God i miss my commodore LOL j/k

As for the gaming platform also... did you read what it takes to get a games for windows sticker on it? One is support for an xbox 360 controller. So... i'm thinking when they release them... the games will be xna cross console compatible for online play and a live account.

Time to put a few of you into bioshock...

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/about...ForWindows.aspx

And not back to our topic. I would like to know of the hardware specs for the one's that voted Vista and Graw worked.

hellogoodbye, Vista was causing the permission and not running unless as admin for nearly all of my programs. Most startup programs were blocked with no way to unblock them, and randomly programs refused to run unless I ran them as admin, then gave permission. The solution was to turn of user account control. Ask if you want to know how.

Let's clear something up: Is there anyone running Vista that doesn't have the freeze on load of second map problem? That's what's killing me, everything else is fine.

Clarify load on second map. Are you talking about VIP is down or a second map in multiplayer. If you are talking about the second mission/map on single player (VIP is Down I think), I had no problem loading it and starting and playing through to the second or third checkpoint/autosave. Just performance was sooooooo very bad it's not funny. 800x600 everything on low and I think I was in the single digits for FPS most of the time.

hellogoodbye, Vista was causing the permission and not running unless as admin for nearly all of my programs. Most startup programs were blocked with no way to unblock them, and randomly programs refused to run unless I ran them as admin, then gave permission. The solution was to turn of user account control. Ask if you want to know how.

Let's clear something up: Is there anyone running Vista that doesn't have the freeze on load of second map problem? That's what's killing me, everything else is fine.

Under user accounts choose your login... disable the UAC (User account control). No more asking. but... less protection.

Clarify load on second map. Are you talking about VIP is down or a second map in multiplayer. If you are talking about the second mission/map on single player (VIP is Down I think), I had no problem loading it and starting and playing through to the second or third checkpoint/autosave. Just performance was sooooooo very bad it's not funny. 800x600 everything on low and I think I was in the single digits for FPS most of the time.

I mean any second loaded map, not a specific mission, that's what the bug is. You load a map, you finish it, abort it, whatever. You continue to the next map, decide to play a different mission etc, it freezes. You're playing a multiplayer game, the server changes maps, it freezes on load. Loading a checkpoint mid-map like when you die doesn't cause the problem.

Performance is fine here. 70-100 fps constant, 8xaa, 8xaf, all settings on max at 1280x1024.

Actually, there are two more minor bugs I have. Occasionally a window will sort of flicker on the right portion of the screen, then go away. Hard to describe. Also, there are some clipping errors I get rarely that turn most of the screen black until I move.

Under user accounts choose your login... disable the UAC (User account control). No more asking. but... less protection.

Didn't know about that shortcut, the way I did it involved a million and one sub menus in administrative options, and some remote setting.

Edited by Curlydave

Actually, there are two more minor bugs I have. Occasionally a window will sort of flicker on the right portion of the screen, then go away. Hard to describe. Also, there are some clipping errors I get rarely that turn most of the screen black until I move.

Right side?

Probably the windows sidebar or xfire/msn messenger or the likes bleeding through when playing

Hellogoodbye, check your file permissions on the GRAW folder and all objects underneath. Make sure your user has full control. I was getting a similar error initially, but when I chenged the file permissions (use the advanced settings) this changed and my problems just running the game and loading levels cleared up.

Thx, I'll give that a try this evening!

I have a little kid that uses my computer so I like account control... But I'm also having problems with startup programs not working. Maybe I'll give this a try: I do not like having to give permissions for everything I want to change in Vista... Thx for tip, Ill turn it off and see how far this makes things easier!

I mean any second loaded map, not a specific mission, that's what the bug is. You load a map, you finish it, abort it, whatever. You continue to the next map, decide to play a different mission etc, it freezes. You're playing a multiplayer game, the server changes maps, it freezes on load. Loading a checkpoint mid-map like when you die doesn't cause the problem.

Exactly my problem. Byt maybe FI_FlimFlam's tip may help!

Edited by hellogoodbye

Right side?

Probably the windows sidebar or xfire/msn messenger or the likes bleeding through when playing

Yep, right side. I'm thinking you may be right - It's about the same size as the sidebar. It really takes away from the immersion of the game.

Edited by Curlydave

I forgot to mention, that I also have the same thing on the right side of the screen. It it like as if MSM or Xfire is trying to take focus and flickering but neither are running or installed. It's a black box that I thought was initially related to the 16:9 aspect but even when changed to 4:3 it was still present.

regarding the lockup. I didn't attempt to play through to a second map on MP. It was completely unplayable for me performance wise. I guess I might it up and join and just sit there until other finish the map. Or if it's empty I could just end round on the server to see. However in SP, performance was a little better and I played through the second mission to the second or 3rd check point with no lockups.

Right side?

Yep, right side. I'm thinking you may be right - It's about the same size as the sidebar. It really takes away from the immersion of the game.

Close the sidebar ... its an icon near your clock on the taskbar. Also right click the GRAW icon that you open it with, properties, and check disable desktop composition. this disables the aero glass while in game and puts it back when you close out. See if that helps .

Pity, none of the tips worked... GRAW still locks up when I load another map and I still can't get to mission 7... :(

Howeverm I have UAC turned off and that's takes ayway a lot of annoyance, even though that has nothing to do with GRAW. ;) I can start GRAW just by clicking on it though: no more need to run as admin and no more need to give permissions for anything. That's nice. ;)

I think I will have to hack the game and enbale all missions somehow in order to proceed...

EDIT:

Anyone knows how to enable all missions? I remember reading about having to change something in a xml file but I can't find the info and I want to move on to the next mission!!! :(

Edited by hellogoodbye