BSOD: Installing Nvidia Driver

while installing Nvidia driver 6.53-something. It told me to restart and after restarting, thats when I got the BSOD...now PC is rolling around trying to restart, but keeps coming back to BSOD and restarts.

Do I have to clear my CMOS for that?

Thanks

To enter safe mode, push "F4"during boot and you'll get a menu where you can choose "safe mode".

Once in safe mode, you can uninstall the Nvidia drivers and re-install a newer or older version.

Alternatively try Omega's drivers from www.omegadrivers.net or www.driverheaven.net. The latter also has a great util - "Driver Cleaner" to remove old driver stuff.

Edit: ooops, unsure if it's f4 or f8.

I think another reason why? When I boot in Safe mode, it would hang and BSOD, then reboots, then nothing ---- the system cannot log on. I made a log on password. I think that is why it would not completely boot.

How do I remove the password?

First of all open your case and check if the RAM blocks are still firm in place.

What you can do afterwards is take your XP cd (have your key ready).

Power up , enter BIOS and choose cdrom as first boot device.

on next step, do not choose "repair" but continue with "new installation"

choose the drive where your OS is installed. you get the message that an OS is already installed and you're asked if you want to delete or repair. choose repair.

This repair does not change your settings, documents etc.

Cpl, you are making this hard to follow. You shouldn't be getting a BSOD due to CMOS. You shouldn't have to clear it. You get to safe mode with F8 key after post. You can try system restore but I would try removing nvidia driver. The more you tinker with your system the quirks you will have. It's your system so do what you may with it. The latest drivers for nvidia shouldn't be reason for update if your system has been run your games fine with old ones. The common BSOD errors are faulty memory and hard drives then driver issues. The latest driver from nvidia are 77.72 but I use 71.89 no problems and system runs great. You may want to start from scratch with formating your hard drive if you like. You will take windows xp cd boot with it in cd/dvd rom drive. No time for all that here is a link. You can delete partition at step 5 then setup partition. I think you can figure it out from here. Windows XP

So, I go out and buy a new HD. New OS, XPPRO installed, then when I restart right after installing WinXPPRO, NOTHING.

Had to clear the CMOS again, had to F1 from BIOS, into Safe Mode. That gets it working.

Any restart/reboot, gets me back to square one.

F1 ONLY from BIOS, then F8 into Safe mode. I'm stuck.

I'm thinking of replacing my GF2 T14200 card and cross my fingers.

Off to work tom, for 16hrs. So I guess I'll be trollin the internet for answers.

thanks

Also the old HD, I kept it as a slave, but doesn't show up in Safe mode. I was hoping to see it as another drive then reformat it using the new HD & new OS.

Edited by Cpl Ledanek

OH SURE NOW THAT I'M AT WORK, MY OLD BRAIN STARTS WORKING :wall:

During a cup of coffee, I remember this happening to me about roughly 2-3 yrs ago---that human years---to me thought, thats eternal.

DO NOT RUSH GETTING OLD, YOUNG GUNS!

=UE=Phantom, (wasn't nickname that way b4) told me this was a timing or memory setting problem. Sure after a couple (plus more) times of clearing CMOS and running out to get new batteries, he =UE= finally figured it out.

I had a more than adequate memory, something Crucial XMS-type memory. In the default BIOS, it was set on AUTO-something, instead of "AGGRESSIVE."

Sure enough, after that first drop of caffeine hits me at 5:05AM, it dawns for me to try.

AND IT DID THE JOB!

So now I just gotta load my Norton GHOST so I can restore it back.

Remaining problem now is the OLD HD. It shows in my Device Manager as being there, so do my BIOS. But when I go to "My Computer" it doesn't.

So after 16HRS of work today, Sunday, I get to fiddle with it again. Maybe removing my new HD, replacing with OLD HD, and set the BIOS to AGRESSIVE and see if that does the job again.

Then I will read up on this MASTER and SLAVE HD and see if I can set up another drive as a back up for my GR MODs... :thumbsup:

Thanks

Greyhaired and NUrface. I wil try those recommendations after I fiddle wit it.

im no expert, but the HDD might not be in the right format or something.

All i know is when i had linux (painful memories) on my 2nd HDD, its was detected and everything, it just didnt show in my computer.

i have heard, and had one experience with ghosting XP, that its not always sucessfull. when we ghosted a new HD on a work dell, (i hate dell's) windows wouldnt boot. (kept getting the BSOD) had to reinstall XP. i also know of atleast one other who had probs ghosting a new drive with XP, but his work around was too confussing for me to recall

cheers......

That's one vote "NO" to GHOST'ing. :(

Yep I think, I'm going to remove the new HD, reinstall the old HD, adjust the memory timing, kill one goat and two virgins. :lol:

I kid! I kid!....

ONE VIRGIN?  :whistle:

You can try going to start/control panel/performance and maintenance/administrative tools/computer management/ you should see disk management in the left window pane, click it and it will show all your drives. You can then format second hard drive then it will show up.

previous thread Hard Drive Thread

OK, everything is running up.

Now I read that ur supposed format the old HD before installing your OS again.

OF COURSE, I DIDN'T DO THAT :wall:

Then theres that issue about reinstalling your OS so many times before uncle Gates come emailing you to call him. Any experience there?

How many times can you install OS on the same PC?

Then I read, that if you got the time, buy a HD for laptop---20GB, install ur OS and patches to bare minimum, so you can use this HD for diagnostic purposes or crashes. So this way you can reformat your damaged HD.

i'M THINKING <_<

Also, heard that having a big HD slows things down. So now I'm thinking, again.

Use the 80GB for primary drive then 160GB for storage.

then read again its better to set up a RAID....RAID VIRGIN HERE!!! :whistle:

Pros and cons of it, I never read anything about it. Don't know if I can set up one on my mobo (see sig).

Is there a tutorial on this for a 6-yr old? Would like to sign for that.

thanks in advance

Then theres that issue about reinstalling your OS so many times before uncle Gates come emailing you to call him. Any experience there?

How many times can you install OS on the same PC?

[...]

then read again its better to set up a RAID....RAID VIRGIN HERE!!! :whistle:

Pros and cons of it, I never read anything about it.  Don't know if I can set up one on my mobo (see sig).

You can install and activate WinXP on your system as many times as you want. You don't have to worry about MS e-mailing you as long as you have a legit copy. The worst thing you'd have to do is call them if your activation fails.

Regarding RAID, the simple answer is (and not meaning to sound condescending by any means :) ) ... if you don't know much about it, it's likely not worth it to use it. ;)

Question: when I relead the OS, is going to reload the OS on both drive simultaneously?

Or do I have to reformat both? When the OS gets installed it does reformat it for me already right?

Thats why I was tossing the idea of getting a laptop drive as my primary so I can reformat both of HD: 80GB and the 160GB.

Ok, I'll wait for some more reply. In the meantime I'm going to do some cable management---origami style...bandaids please!

Question: when I relead the OS, is going to reload the OS on both drive simultaneously?

Or do I have to reformat both?  When the OS gets installed it does reformat it  for me already right?

Thats why I was tossing the idea of getting a laptop drive as my primary so I can reformat both of HD: 80GB and the 160GB.

The OS only needs to be loaded onto one HD. In fact, if your master HD is partitioned, the OS only needs to go on the system partition (usuall the C: partition for most people)

To give you an example of what I mean, say I have a 60GB HD divided into C: 20GB for the OS and office apps and games; and D: 40GB for storage (vids, docs, various media). If I wanted to reinstall WinXP, I only would reformat the C: partition. All my media on the D: partition will still be safe and sound, and detected by the OS once I do the reinstall on the C: partition.

So to answer your questions:

You don't need to reformat your slave HD when reinstalling your OS, especially if you have valuable data on it you want to rescue and/or archive. You could reformat it if you just want to clean it out.

You really don't need to put a laptop HD in your machine. If the only reason was to repair one of your HD's, one way you could do it is partition your Master HD like I mentioned above, install the OS on the primary partition, and transfer data from the slave HD to the data partition of your master HD. If your Windows installation becomes corrupt, just reformat the C: partition and reinstall.

I've never heard a larger HD is slower than a smaller one. What makes a difference is the rotation speed (e.g. 5400, 7800, 10,000 rpm) and where the OS/virtual cache/apps are installed on the HD. (faster if on the outer edge of the HD platter)

Also, if you can't detect your slave HD in WinXP, use the Disk Management utility (do a search in WinXP help to find a link to it under "Computer Management) - oops, I guess someone already mentioned this.

With regards to RAID again, here's a quick summary:

RAID 0 is for speed, but for most desktop users, the difference isn't too great compared to using a single HD. See:

http://forums.3dretreat.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5475

RAID 1 is for protection of data - basically both HDs have the exact same data mirrored on both of them, so if 1 HD dies, the other one is around for backup.

http://arstechnica.com/paedia/r/raid-1.html

If you formatted the drives with the NTFS file system, you need to go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management, and activate the drives.

Did you actually format them, or did you just partition them?

1.)Partition

2.)Format

3.)Activate(If NTFS)

Once the above steps are done, Winblows will assign them drive letters.

NOTE:

If Winblows didn't assign drive letters to your partition(s), you missed a step somewhere.

Edited by =UE=Phantom