Computer Peripherals Not Coming On...

squad_e

Update 2..

captains log earthdate 27 sept 2008..

Fan is properly working now as i had help from a professional pc builder aka my brother.. The Rig boots up then after a few seconds it shuts itself off.. Without posting ..

I don't understand what it is.. we tried taking out all internal components one by one to the minimal requirements needed to boot up a pc. graphics card and one stick of ram ..

But it just shuts itself down..

why is this?...

thanks

Update 2..

captains log earthdate 27 sept 2008..

Fan is properly working now as i had help from a professional pc builder aka my brother.. The Rig boots up then after a few seconds it shuts itself off.. Without posting ..

I don't understand what it is.. we tried taking out all internal components one by one to the minimal requirements needed to boot up a pc. graphics card and one stick of ram ..

But it just shuts itself down..

why is this?...

thanks

Possibly too much thermal paste.

Make sure the bottom of your heatsink and the top of your cpu are competely clean.

Thermal paste: a drop half the size of a pea in the middle of the cpu, then let the pressure of the heatsink spread it.

Not recommended but for a quick try you can install the heatsink without thermal paste and see if it does not shut down.

Got an Arctic Cooler "Freezer 64 Pro" unwrapped but also unused.

I removed all the paste and put it all back in by using just a drop.

I bought a new CPU quad core 9500 Am2+, now its working fine.. I updated my BIOS and now i get a standard beep and now i am gettin in to the BIOS.. One step at a time now :)

Edited by squad_e

O.k, It starts up untill it prompts

DISK BOOT FAILURE, PRESS ANY KEY..

Then it doesnt do anything on that...

I tried running my harddrives on another laptop, they seem to work fine on them via USB ... My BIOS is up to date..

I ran an OS system called knopix, made by Linux.. Straight from a CD and booted from CD worked well and it recogniesed the harddrives..

They get Click of death's and still can be recognised?.. I dont get it ..

For Disk boot failure results i went here, seemed like a good read...

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-11184-0.h...ssageID=2332896

But no go for me

Edited by squad_e

I am 90% sure that the "DISK BOOT FAILURE" message is your BIOS complaining that it is not able to find a bootable disk. Step one is tocheck all of your BIOS/CMOS settings to be sure that the BIOS is correctly recognizing the hard drive and that the boot sequence is set correctly to attempt booting from the drive. If those things are correct, then there is a problem with your hard drive. I would start by checking cables and power first, then (if you are comfortable with disk partitioning and the like) I would suggest booting that Knopix CD and using it to confirm that the disk is still properly partitioned and formatted (and that the correct partition is marked as bootable) -- you should be able to mount the drive under Knopix and actually see all of your files there without much stress if things are working.

Good luck!