Asus P5B - USB connections?

Rocky

Yes. Each of the three motherboard headers is designed to take up to two USB connections, one top row, one bottom.

That's actually why it's called USB56. USB1-4 are on the back panel, while USB5-10 headers are on the motherboard, paired as 56, 78 and 910.

Cool thanks.

She's powered up and started fine, justr installing windows on the new HD now.

I think I am missing one cable though. A cable to take sound from the DVD drive to the soundcard - I don't know what it's called to do a search for one though -- do you know the cable I mean?

I think I am missing one cable though. A cable to take sound from the DVD drive to the soundcard - I don't know what it's called to do a search for one though -- do you know the cable I mean?

Yup, Dan's right. Since about 10 years ago, the sound goes digitally through the motherboard, so only really old systems (i.e. 486, some early Pentium 1's) needed it. I haven't used that CD audio cable since the Intel BX motherboard.

Oh I didn't know that, guess it's a bit redundant in my own PC then lol.

The only cable that's giving me concern now then is the front panel audio ports, the cable has to go from there to the extreme opposite end of the case as the connection is on the bottom left of the mobo - and once the graphics card is in, the cable is TAUGHT, right across the heatsink of the GPU not very satisfactory.

It actually popped out as I was trying to get it some slack, so I'll just tell the guy the front ports don't work, just use the back ones :thumbsup:

That cable is 2 inches short of being satisfactory though :hmm:

The only cable that's giving me concern now then is the front panel audio ports, the cable has to go from there to the extreme opposite end of the case as the connection is on the bottom left of the mobo - and once the graphics card is in, the cable is TAUGHT, right across the heatsink of the GPU not very satisfactory.

It actually popped out as I was trying to get it some slack, so I'll just tell the guy the front ports don't work, just use the back ones :thumbsup:

On most midd towers it usually just makes it with a little slack. On full towers though it can be a stretch.

You could always use something like this...

http://www.sourcingmap.com/usb-multifuncti...for-p-9627.html

And tell him it was a bonus with the card reader. I think there around 20$ usually.

The P5B is a pretty nice board for what it is. We use it for our business pc's to low budget gamers. Lots of usb, GB lan, 7.1 channel onboard sound. Not bad for the buck.

There's some space under the graphics card between the slot and the back panel. I've used that often in similar cases and installed the graphics card afterwards.