Been playing the demo, have some questions...

So, the major frustration I'm having in ArmA, is trying to locate the source of incoming fire. Being that there are no tracers, no muzzle flashes, and sounds, bullets or engines, sound like they are either 10 miles away, or right next to your face, even through Surround Sound headphones. SOP is pretty much hit the ground any time I hear OPFOR gunfire and pray I'm on the right side of the cover.

How are you supposed to locate an enemy thats firing at you?

There are tracers, but they can be disabled depending the difficulty level. (not sure but could be a bug where u cant disabled them).

The sounds, there are some problems with JIP, where it doesnt let u hear the friendly fire, u just hear the bullets hitting. But enemies firing for sure u hear them.

Im talking about full game, not sure about demo, but never heard about ur problems.

Even if u are not playing the hardest level u can press ESC (mini map) and see some red triangles = enemies.

Edited by bati_gol_20

Yes the sound engine is screwed up. It depends on what souncard you have though. For people with integrated soundcards it apparently works fine, but X-Fi cards seem have a problem with the direction and especially the distance of sounds. Hopefully they can fix it in a patch.

So, the major frustration I'm having in ArmA, is trying to locate the source of incoming fire. Being that there are no tracers, no muzzle flashes, and sounds, bullets or engines, sound like they are either 10 miles away, or right next to your face, even through Surround Sound headphones. SOP is pretty much hit the ground any time I hear OPFOR gunfire and pray I'm on the right side of the cover.

How are you supposed to locate an enemy thats firing at you?

First thing to do is to find some cover :thumbsup:

Yes the sound engine is screwed up. It depends on what souncard you have though. For people with integrated soundcards it apparently works fine, but X-Fi cards seem have a problem with the direction and especially the distance of sounds. Hopefully they can fix it in a patch.

Hmm.. Just using my mobo's sound... Maybe I'll actually pick up a sound card. Are there any recommended that aren't ridiculously expensive like the X-Fi?

How are you supposed to locate an enemy thats firing at you

?

First thing to do is to find some cover thumbsup.gif

I checked on tracers, and they are enabled. I see no effects from gunfire at all, no flash, smoke, etc. Should I? I heard there were some problems when using 8800 GFX cards.

Hmm.. Just using my mobo's sound... Maybe I'll actually pick up a sound card. Are there any recommended that aren't ridiculously expensive like the X-Fi?

Well, I have a X-Fi Extreme Music, those are the cheapest X-Fi cards I believe. But I'm having those problems you described, a vehicle that is far away sounds like it's right on top of you for instance. I read somewhere that integrated soundcards do not have these problems, but apparently you do. So I don't know what is causing it really...

Just for the record I am seeing lime green tracer rounds from the PKs (both incoming & outgoing) in CoOp (default difficulty, low to normal graphic settings). Also able to see muzzle flash. GeForce6800GTO

If the sound quality and placement weren't so annoying it would be hysterical funny. Very surprised at this level of inattention for something so important to gameplay.

mu two cents - there are known sound issues at present in the Demo, cant confirm full verson, however, what Ive played in full version seems ok.

Demo though, those brdms always sound like they're right on top of you when they are actually several hundred yards away, and the enemy fire is dodgy - but my advice - shoot and relocate and cover the areas where AI will try to falnk then you wont get outsmarted.

Hmmm... something must be wrong, because I usually look for muzzle flashes to find the source of incoming fire, and it works pretty well.

Just for the record I am seeing lime green tracer rounds from the PKs (both incoming & outgoing) in CoOp (default difficulty, low to normal graphic settings). Also able to see muzzle flash. GeForce6800GTO

If the sound quality and placement weren't so annoying it would be hysterical funny. Very surprised at this level of inattention for something so important to gameplay.

Hmm... I get no flashes, from anyones guns, including my own. Perhaps a driver issue. I'm running a 8800 GTX, and the drivers are the suck. Every game there is at least one issue...

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick question...in the demo you can't move or pivot while using the binoculars (or use them at all in the gunners position of the HMMWV), have these options been stripped out of the demo or am I missing something? More to the point, is the full version the same in this regard?

EDIT: Disregard.

Edited by NoQuarter