New AMD Chips...

Stinger

Probably around as much as the Intel top performers, or just below. They will debut at 2800, 3200 and 3500 performance ratings during the 2nd qtr. What can I say? Intel is going to take a beating next year... AMD has a new cpu that can run 64bit and at faster speeds than a P4 can without switching it's socket every 6 months. :rolleyes:

No, the current nforce chipsets will not work with the new cpus. You will have to buy either the new nforce solution made for the hammer, or via's solution for the hammer (both are not yet released).

OUCH and the 3500 will be beating the crap out of anybodys wallet. What is the 2800 competing against? You got a good site maybe for me to learn more I found some but a lot of them are dumb. What is the "normal" 2800 XP gonna run for then really cheap I bet. Intel's new cpu's are on Prescott core right?

I can't name off Intel cores too well, but I believe that is it. The previous were williamette and northwood. The 2800 will ofc compete agains the 2.8ghz P4 :P (are you getting what these 4 digit numbers are meaning?) I assume they want it as the affordable version of their flagship cpu.

The current XPs will be replaced by the Barton cores running 400fsb, and that will be a 'sort of' Duron replacement. They will also continue making current XPs (up to just 2800?) in the 266 and 333fsb flavors at bargin prices.

Sorry, no links off the top of my head :(

I can't name off Intel cores too well, but I believe that is it. The previous were williamette and northwood. The 2800 will ofc compete agains the 2.8ghz P4  (are you getting what these 4 digit numbers are meaning?) I assume they want it as the affordable version of their flagship cpu.

The current XPs will be replaced by the Barton cores running 400fsb, and that will be a 'sort of' Duron replacement. They will also continue making current XPs (up to just 2800?) in the 266 and 333fsb flavors at bargin prices.

Sorry, no links off the top of my head  

Well I wanted to make sure it was all the same and I didn't make a fool of myseld. But nothing to take on Tom's 4GHz Intel? :P That 2800 is still gonna be expensive. They need a wider range of products IMO. Why keep the XP's at their low FSB? I don't get that.

Guess I need to learn FSB over again I thought the CPU Clock just came out of whatever the FSB is but now I think about that and doesn't make sense. 2.4A is 400 and 2.4B is 533...hmmph. No OS currently works with 64 bit exceptionally right? I know that they are backwards compatible to 32 bit apps and all but this mean I also have to get new 64 bit OS to fully utilize? Add that to my GFX, Mobo, 3200 or 2800, and I am gonna be DIRT POOR. :(:blink:

Actually, there are 64bit only OS, WindowsXP64 and a 64bit version of Linux. But the best part is, unlike Intel's Itanium, AMD's Athlon64/Operton work with both 32bit or 64bit. So you can run 32bit WinXP, like your are right now, no problem. Even if you did get a 64bit OS, you couldn't run 32bit apps on it, and the only 64bit game I know of is UT2k3.

As for mhz and fsb. The cpu multiplier is multiplied (funny eh? :P) by the fsb to get the actual cpu speed. Say 24x100 = 2.4ghz and 18x133 = 2.39ghz (2.4 ;))

Okay forgot about its double multiplying needs. Thqanks mine is 18x133 it seems cause everything is showing me with my 2.39 GHz I can't wait to OC it and asy screw you Intel I actually a 2.4 now :P

edit-would the new 64bit cpus run better with a 64bit OS?

Edited by Stinger

Depending on speeds some perhaps. I don't know what Intel is planning on doing to combat AMD but I expect once their competition comes out they will be pricier. I think AMD should add more range stead of 2800 3200 and 3500 add some more inbetween for cryin out loud!

Those number, from what I understand, are the ones that will be released first. They will probably release more later.

As for Intel being the same price in cpus... Only the 2700 and 2800 are priced similar, and mainly cause they can't keep up with demand. From there down, the AMD cpus take anywhere from a $30 lead or more.