Gun sounds change volume dramatically

nyleken

The guns in the game seem to increase their volume at seemingly random intervals, often times causing me to twitch due to the sudden change.

Is it something wrong on my end or has the game always had this?

• 5 months later...

Those sudden extreme changes in sound effect volume could be the result of Ghost Recon's EAX environmental sound system trying to cope with e.g. reverb/echo characteristics determined by the acoustic "room" property of a map's 3D model, and... somehow failing. I've occasionally encountered this myself in the past, and quite frankly could never put my finger on its cause, e.g. whether these are random irreproducible glitches or something that is directly connected to some kind of error in the corresponding map model's room setup and should therefor potentially be fixable on a map-by-map basis.

Although, thinking back, it has been quite a long time since I experienced this, so it could also be audio driver related? Maybe try the various EAX settings available (alternate cache, software-only) and see if that helps.

Ghost Recon can be a strange animal, sometimes. :)

• 1 year later...

Still have this issue unfortunately, despite using no less than three different laptops with the game. I've managed to reproduce it reliably with the M249, where the end of the firing sound emits an extremely loud BANG, though maybe that's intentional?

I've tried out disabling EAX, which doesn't help. Same thing with the alternate cache. Fairly certain I tried out forcing software, too. Also doesn't help.

I'm somehow convinced this is an issue with the audio drivers on all three laptops.

Go to Mods / Origmiss / Sound
And play the sound w_M249_rc.wav. 
This is the ending sounding for the M249 which is kinda of a loud Bang.
Is this how you here it in game? 

Not really noticed it until now,
so I tried it ingame with only DS and IT activated. It only made a loud bang sound when firing very short burst, 2-3 rounds.
Playing online yesterday and a team mate had a lmg, not sure which one, and it seemed to make a loud bang end sound. 
Just sayin...