New map(s)

Zeko

Would there be interest for it? I'm stuck with my old laptop and can't play any new stuff or dive into UE4 :( but would like to mod something in my spare time.

I can't really decide for what theme/scenario should i go with yet so feel free to suggest something :). Also i'm a bit rusty in GR modding so I don't plan to create multiple height levels in a map just yet, since I always had problems with sherman levels/transitions during process.

Thanks for watching ;) 

• Like 1

I've been reading "The Dead Hand" by David Emmanuel Hoffman recently. The book focuses on nuclear, biological and chemical weapons, their roles, scares involving them and control of them. Focused mainly on the 1980s. While a lot of the Soviet biological warfare facilities don't have known locations that are exactly known, there was the fairly well-known one on Vozrozhdeniya (Rebirth) Island; some anthrax got out in 71 and killed 3 people.

Other Biopreparat facilities known are located around the Urals (broad generalization there), but mostly near cities like Yekaterinberg (Sverdlovsk during the Soviet years), Kirov, Berdsk and others. 

The interesting thing about the Biopreparat program was that it was officially a civilian research program that wouldn't possibly violate the Biological Weapons Convention. The West knew about the plants, but everyone feared nukes more so that was the focus.

That in mind, I'm all for a bunker map like MrMoon said. A few ideas come to mind:

- Hidden Bunker in Ghost Town. Hidden in plain sight (of very few people) is the entrance to an underground facility containing either a research facility for conventional weapons or one involving a CBRN threat of your choice.

I know China has a lot of these ghost cities, and MrMoon had some pretty sweet PLA characters in Chaos AD, but that'd probably require it to be more than a map. Just a thought. There's probably some ghost cities in Eastern Europe you could use too. There's a Japanese island called Hashima Island that was abandoned after the coal ran out.

- Nuclear Silo. Pretty self-explanatory. Probably in a temperate area. Some guard posts and facilities above ground, but the toughest part of the fight is inside the facility.

- War Room. An underground command center, complete with huge screens and rows of consoles. Maybe government affiliated, maybe PMC, maybe some SPECTRE/Cobra/MJ12 kind of organization instead. If it's government or PMC-oriented, plenty of insignias everywhere. If it's some secretive evil organization's lair, bigger and flashier logos when at all possible. You know, something that just screams "COOBRRRAAAAA!!!". 

I'd love a bunker map to have medium or long-range combat rapidly transition into claustrophobic CQB in hallways and rooms.

Thx for the info TJ. I googled a bit and these locations would be good to recreate for GR. The Hashima Island looks very cool. Too bad that GR can't handle a lot of polygons.

I'm aiming for tunnel/mountain entrance with hidden research lab/control base inside. Probably surrounded with forest area. So open area with a mix of CQB inside compound. 

Would this be a paved road leading into a mountain facility, or something more discreet? I only ask because depending on the nature of the base, multiple entrances/exits of varying sizes may be warranted. 

Any base need supplies to function, meaning trucks to roll in and out, or boats travel through rivers to a dock in the side of the mountain. The latter would be more easily hidden from aerial photography, and there could still be a land-based footpath on either side of the otherwise hidden dock. 

For reference.

hidden bunker.png

MrMoon, I don't have tsoaf but will google for refs, thx.

TJ, yeah was thinking more like paved road/railroad tracks into hill/mountain entrance. Just like I did in my map from Rockall mod. But there was just for eye candy. So one main entrance plus one emergency exit/entrance hidden somewhere on a map :ph34r:

Entrance would be guarded with some machine gun nests or guard towers... 

MrMoon, I don't have tsoaf but will google for refs, thx.

TJ, yeah was thinking more like paved road/railroad tracks into hill/mountain entrance. Just like I did in my map from Rockall mod. But there was just for eye candy. So one main entrance plus one emergency exit/entrance hidden somewhere on a map :ph34r:

Entrance would be guarded with some machine gun nests or guard towers... 

There is underground base map in frostbite,  it s got one large road entrance and one foot path tunnel from an out laying bunker. It mite be worth looking at for  idea's .  It was a great map loved playing it especially when the weather had been modded to make it look like you were in a snow storm. Like Alpha squad did for one of there coop tournament missions.

Edited by Hammer

Nice :) me and IGOR don't go to well hehe :D 

Added some high ground for the five star and other VIP's so they can rest while they watch Star Wars :D. What else would a room like this need beside coffee mugs, papers, telephones, red buttons etc.?

control_room_2.thumb.jpg.8287ce697a65bf2

• Like 1

Thx MrMoon, working on that as we speak ;) 

Slow progress because I caught flu :( . Started on the outside for the overall feeling of the map. That rock needs lots of work and texturing is a bit off. Also I'm not sure about the scale of it. I don't want it to strech over half map, yet in reality it should. Will probably took some middle way approach a.k.a. "artistic freedom" :D 

Will spam this topic with boring renders a bit more these days :P

tunnel_outside.jpg

• Like 2