New Mod: Not A Game (NAG)

Doc. Caliban

Not A Game (NAG)

From the README.TXT file (You should read it, BTW!):

WHAT IT DOES

The mod removes all of the death-related messages that scroll by in red font in the upper-left portion of the screen; it removes the red dots on the map; and it replaces the Threat Indicator with a working compass. The result is that you don't know where the enemy is unless you observe him with your own eyes. If you lose sight of him, you have to make your own guesses as to where he's gone. When in a firefight, you can only tell if you've killed him by direct observation. If you think you may have missed him, you have to decide if you should stay put for a while or risk moving on despite the uncertainty. If there is an enemy in a room (or if you don't know if there is) and you toss a frag in, you won't know what affect it had until you go look for myself.

In other words, the game isn't behaving as a video game by giving you a play-by-play of how effective, or ineffective, you are being when engaging the enemy.

IMPORTANT: For the full effect, I would encourage you to disable the 'Voice Switch' in the Sound options to eliminate any verbal messages about kills.

WHY?

I want my Ghost Recon experience to be less "video game" and more "combat simulation".

It's a matter of personal preference ... Ghost Recon can be approached from any angle of playing style; from game-like, to total self-reliance. Over the years of playing, my preference has evolved to the latter.

A note from Tinker (it's in the readme, but it's a good idea to post it here too):

There is a problem if your dedi server uses the recon logger
though. It will instant ban you for using hacks. It does not like you
having no name and just the spaces in place. Took a few tests to figure
this is the issue and cannot find any way to fix it within recon logger.

There is nothing in this mod that has not been done in others, but I created my own version of it from scratch based on the ideas in those mods.

Rocky, if you feel it's worthy, would you consider posting it to the Download page?

Enjoy; I think that once you've played this way for a while, you'll hate the idea of going back.

-Doc

NAG.zip

Edited by Doc. Caliban

Fantastic stuff, we really enjoyed using it.

There is a problem if your dedi server uses the recon logger though. It will instant ban you for using hacks. It does not like you having no name and just the spaces in place. Took a few tests to figure this is the issue and cannot find any way to fix it within recon logger.

Otherwise all good with recon logger disabled. :)

Fantastic stuff, we really enjoyed using it.

There is a problem if your dedi server uses the recon logger though. It will instant ban you for using hacks. It does not like you having no name and just the spaces in place. Took a few tests to figure this is the issue and cannot find any way to fix it within recon logger.

Otherwise all good with recon logger disabled. :)

Ah, I had included that in the readme but didn't post anything about it here. I'll add it to the original post!

Doc, you are on a ROLL!

I'll add this to the downloads, and news page, at the weekend.

LOL, nice job on that quick edit in the readme about reconlog!!

So fast, it's almost like it was already there! Adding mention of it to the original post too.

Thanks for getting it on it's way to the download page!

-Doc

Edited by Doc. Caliban

• 1 month later...

I haven't downloaded or played the mod, because I really value some of the things this mod removes.

I just want to say that some of the 'cues' that you're removing are actually somewhat realistic , especially when you consider that the game is featuring the best operators within the US Special Operations community.

For example, in real life one of your team members would see you kill the enemy and report it to you.

Also - I've played mods that remove the little red dots from the map. I dislike this , and feel that it is unrealistic. Those 'dots' don't populate themselves automatically. In game, they represent one of your teammates spotting the enemy. In real life this is called a SPOT Report, and after spotting the enemy your teammate would normally give you an idea of where the enemy is located.

So, I just wanted to inform you that some of the things you think are 'gamey' are actually realistic.

I haven't downloaded or played the mod, because I really value some of the things this mod removes.

I just want to say that some of the 'cues' that you're removing are actually somewhat realistic , especially when you consider that the game is featuring the best operators within the US Special Operations community.

For example, in real life one of your team members would see you kill the enemy and report it to you.

Also - I've played mods that remove the little red dots from the map. I dislike this , and feel that it is unrealistic. Those 'dots' don't populate themselves automatically. In game, they represent one of your teammates spotting the enemy. In real life this is called a SPOT Report, and after spotting the enemy your teammate would normally give you an idea of where the enemy is located.

So, I just wanted to inform you that some of the things you think are 'gamey' are actually realistic.

I disagree. Those red dots is a form of team members spotting enemies, but sometimes the enemy is out of visual range, ex. in a cave when you're outside, in cover behind a rock and you can see them moving, et cetera.

When you say that "Enemy killed" voice/text is realistic, I heavily disagree. In RL they wouldn't directly say "Enemy killed", how can they know that? That's why they normally do a 'check' after each firefight, finding out who is dead, and who isn't.

I haven't tried it myself yet, but I like this form of mod. This is my opinion.

Hi there,

Good points, but I think you are taking it from a single-player perspective; I play co-op exclusively, and placing those two issues into the hands of the real humans in the game is what makes them realistic in co-op.

If we are engaging enemy where there is any cover, even with all of us watching, you can't really know if every enemy that went down did so because they were hit or if they just went prone, or if the guys that ran into cover were hit or not when you fired into the bushes, etc. (Why would the game tell you that someone that none of you can see well enough, or at all for that matter, was killed by your suppressing fire or grenade?)

Same with the spotting ... the AI is perfect in so much as if the computer declares that any line-of-sight contact within the spotting range is made, it's a guaranteed spot. Not so with real people playing ... an enemy that is not behind cover, but is camouflaged or just well placed and still, is not guaranteed to be seen by a real person. (Why would that guy peering down over a cliff at you show up on the map if none of the human players actually saw him?)

So in co-op, I still maintain that having the computer tell you if you killed someone or not, or if you spotted someone or not (and what direction they are moving in even if you can't see them anymore) are crutches. By removing those crutches, you make real people responsible for doing the best they can to see what there is to be seen, and to interpret what they are seeing as accurately (and cautiously) as possible.

In single-player, then yes, you are relying on the friendly AI, so it makes more sense in some ways. If you play any co-op, give it a shot!

-Doc

EDIT: I hope that it goes without saying that your feedback is always welcome, and it's necessary to the community as a whole because it's what helps polish and evolve the mods!

Edited by Doc. Caliban

Why not you play the mod first, then make a harsh post criticizing it later?

There is nothing realistic about throwing a grenade into a building and hearing "Enemy Down," and seeing ugly lines of red text detailing how many people you just took out. Of course you have a point, and I'm sure it would be more realistic if the AI told you something like, "I think I got one," or what have you, but it's either all the way or none at all. I think none at all is the more realistic choice.

Sure, but they tell you even when they are across the map and you killed someone with a grenade around a corner while facing away from him, too.

Feel that it is unrealistic? Are you kidding me? There is nothing realistic about red dots marking the exact location of the enemy. I think you need to reword that. It is unrealistic that the friendly AI don't say, "There's an enemy over there." It isn't unrealistic that he has removed the red diamonds.

This mod was obviously created with emphasis on co-op play, but it is fun and realistic in single-player, too. Why not you try actually using it before you tear it apart?

Here is the modified actor folder for Blood Oil. Again, there are no changes to the files other than the actor name being removed from them, so game play (actor stats, etc) are in no way affected.

Rocky, can you update the existing .zip file by dropping this .zip file into the 'Extras' folder?

Also, if anyone has a mod they would like to use with the NAG mod, but it is not included in the Extras folder, let me know and I will make the changes for that particular mod.

-Doc

For clarification...I'm not knocking your mod.

So I hope you don't feel that you have to DEFEND it.

One community, one fight...right?

For clarification...I'm not knocking your mod.

So I hope you don't feel that you have to DEFEND it.

One community, one fight...right?

No worries! I didn't take it that way. Feedback is how things get improved and polished.

Welcome to the forums!

-Doc

Hear, hear! :thumbsup: