video card issues

EricW

well, i turned my PC on this afternoon,, nothing abnormal to report, then while in windows mode, the top of my screen went all weird and "broken up" i couldnt access control panel or the event viewer to see what went wrong, i tried plugging my T.V into it and no response from it, i tried restarting it and the PC posted with1 long beep 2 short beeps wich is in my books a graphic card or monitor failure, but is it a graphic card failure or a monitorfailure, just incase i replace something perfectly fine.

Bad or mis seated memory can also do beeps similar. for an easy free test, remove all ram except slot 1 then replace it from one you took out. see if it boots. if it does, replace the other to see if it works. if it does then it wasn't in tight. if it doesn;t you have a bad ram stick. If neither fixes it then it has to be video

thanks guys

the RAM was seated great roco, thanks for the advice though.

lil got back from hospital yesterday and the first thing she asked, was "did you plug the DVI cable into it?" and i answered yes and she said that, the dvi cable was faulty and she had been through many GFX cards because of that one cable, she was meant to dispose of it but she didnt get around to it. we'll get our ATI card hopefully soon.

Edited by EricW

thanks guys

the RAM was seated great roco, thanks for the advice though.

lil got back from hospital yesterday and the first thing she asked, was "did you plug the DVI cable into it?" and i answered yes and she said that, the dvi cable was faulty and she had been through many GFX cards because of that one cable, she was meant to dispose of it but she didnt get around to it. we'll get our ATI card hopefully soon.

OMG LOL... i don't think i have ever seen a faulty video cable, DVI or vga. it must have made a major short because i wouldn't have thought that you would get a beep code. If you have an adapter you can use a vga cable until you replace it,