GRAW1 Buildings in GRAW2 - No?

Well Boo-Yaa! (term my son is using so I have to be hip)

graw1-1.jpg

GRAW1 Tequila factory

graw1-2.jpg

GRAW1 Helipad in the front with the Hanger in the background

graw1-3.jpg

Highway segments including the ladder

A few weeks ago I spent quite a bit of time with these conversions and had to step back in frustration. The buildings are easy enough to convert (just a few issues with the built in spawn points, effects, etc.), but the maps were all tinted which made them look extremly "Willy Wonkish". Tried to convert the maps, overlay GRAW2 textures inside the GRAW1 atlas' with nothing taking hold.

This evening I had an epiphany that was straight out of the 0:) Sanchez Book of Revelations 0:) (all hail Sanchez) and just took the palet from GRAW1, copied it over to a directory off of "objects", then referenced the GRAW1 palet from each material.xml and whamo... GRAW1 buildings in GRAW2 with normal looking textures.

In the process of converting all of the Industry buildings with the Hanger, Highway, Tequila Factory, Train Station, Rotating Bridge (for the Trains), Tunnels and Helipad completed. Now I just need to try and get the naming convention switched for each prop so that they do not conflict in the editor like the warehouses (IE my plan is to have a prefix of "graw1_XXX" versus "ind_XXX" to make them more identifiable). Once completed this and the other historical, city, etc. buildings, I'll zip them up for the map modders so that they have more buildings to work with.

Later,

Bogie

I wouldn't see why you could not use the ground maps, unless there was something special within the diesel file.

I did read your posts from a while back which was the basis for what I was trying to do (trying to retint all of the atlas files). But the palett.xml file from GRAW1 is much different than the palett.xml within GRAW2. So essentially, I copied the exact palett.xml from GRAW1 into it's own directory in "objects\palat_flat" (yes, I spelled it wrong and perhaps should have put it in the textures directory; but I was just testing after all). From there, I changed the directory in all of the material.xml files with the new directory:

<xi:include href="/data/objects/palat_flat/palett.xml#xpointer(/include/industry_colors/*)"/>
[/code]

By looking at the new palett, it has the exact tinting information (or "diffuse_color") needed to get the colors looking as they should. Early on, I tried to match the nearest GRAW2 "diffuse color" with that of GRAW1 via the name as well as entering the numerical data, but if you are just a little off, the prop still displayed the odd tinting colors.

One item to note, GRAW1 colors and texture maps are a little different than the GRAW2 texture maps. So putting them side by side you can see the evolved differences where GRAW2 looks just a little more refined.

Hope this helps,

Bogie

The "palett.xml" is in the "quck.bundle" under "settings".

Looked at the possibility of converting over entire maps, but that would be a huge undertaking to convert all of those files over. Going through the different custom landscapes that are in GRAW1 and it looks like these could be ported over as well. Some of the city\industry maps don't actually use landscapes, but prop roads & sidewalks for the entire map.

So I'll check back in and zip up all that I've converted.

The buildings have had some issues. But essentially if you remove all of the animations, smoke effects and additional spanwning props and they work just fine.

Later,

Bogie

You would just need to copy the exact palett.xml from GRAW1 and place it somewhere in your mission's data directory. I actually choose to put it in a subdirectory of it's own under "textures\palett_xxxx" where "xxxx" is your mission name. From there, you would just need to update the GRAW1 prop's "materials.xml" and any variation of the materials with the new path such as:

<xi:include href="/data/textures/palett_XXXX/palett.xml#xpointer(/include/history_colors/*)"/>
[/code]

I am actually uploading the props & buildings I have converted including detailed instructions on how to incorporate these props into GRAW2. Bear with me and you will see these soon... 230MB upload..oi