Processor Getting Too Hot?

The temp. of my AMD Athlon 64 X2 processor is idling around 60 deg. on one core, 65 deg on the other core. ASUS A8N SLIR mainboard running at 68 deg (CPU) and 48 deg. (mainboard)

Is this stuff running too hot?

I'm wondering if this is the cause of my BSoD's that I keepd getting after installing countless video drivers. I'm at 185.85's now, and still get the BSoD's during gaming on games like L4D, Fallout 3 and Killing Floor. Doesn't seem to happen while playing my lower-end graphics games. None of the driver's before that, and before that, and before that, and before that.... didn't solve the BSoD's.

I'm aware it could be hardware/peripheral conflict issue, but if it was, wouldn't it happen during all of my games/idling on desktop? To re-iterate, the BSoD's do not seem to be happening during my less graphically intensive (several years old) games. Some-one pointed out that 'if you have an AMD processors, it could be getting too hot.

Those temps sound like my max. load temps (on my overclocked core2), so yes, they are too hot, even my o/c'd AMD 3700+would max out about there...but it should not cause BSOD's unless load temps are getting way up above 90.

To check load temps, can you get a temp monitor that will log temps? (I use coretemp for this). Whatever the cause, I'd highly recommend you check the HSF is seated correctly with the right amount (ie. a tiny smear) of paste. Perhaps consider an aftermarket HSF...my favorite is the Thermaltake Extreme XP 120....but there are many worthy contenders.

Personally, I'd suspect the drivers. I suggest you do a cleanout (incl. running a reg. cleaner).

Cheers,

Dav.

Okay, my BSoD's kept reporting 1000007f (BCCode 0000007f) errors, which, from the research I've done, seem to registry related errors.

Running RegCure now, then see what happens.

Could be fault RAM though too right? (I bought the RAM brand new and installed it in the system to replace the factory RAM when I bought the rig)

Edited by WytchDokta

Looking in through the clear side panel, the RAM seems to be seated correctly. Just played Killing Floor, one solo game set to long (10 waves) played through fine. Installed 25 new KF maps and checked them out. Still running fine. Play left for dead for 1 map - the game CTD's. This was after running RegCure and 'fixing' the registry issues. I'll try knocking the graphics detail back some, see what gives.

But do you reckon I should get some processor cooling fan to replace the original or heatsink or something? Shouldn't be getting to hot though as I have fans on the clear side panel blowing cold air inside over the GFX card and the processor etc.

Could also be something simple, My machine was getting hotter than normal so I took a gook look at it one day and see the primary air intake was clogged with dust. On this new case its on the bottom of the case. After cleaning it the temps went back down.

Okay. The BSOD/CTD problem could be the nVidia 185.85 drivers.

Over on their forums, many people are reporting instability ikssues with these drivers. There's even a few people having install issues with the drivers. Some are reporting that after installing the drivers, you are not asked to restart your computer as you were with previous drivers (I'm getting this too), others are getting no such issue. Others are reporting nVida control panel gone after installing these drivers, and general stutting/CTD's/BSoD's in games after installing these drivers.

One person noticed though, that his BSoD's and CTD's went away and he got asked to restart his computer after installing the drivers on top of themselves. I did this, and this time (fourth install of drivers; each time not getting asked to restart after install) got asked to restart my computer.

The nvidia drivers though would not heat your cpu. Try reseating the processor with some fresh grease. Try running with the side cover off to see if temps go down. Is your mainboard noted for missreporting temps? I've seen that before. Check with the manufacturer to see if there is a bios fix for possible miss reporting.

I'll play CPT. Obvious here but have you attempted to bump the coolers fan speed (assuming that it's variable) with a system utility or through the BIOS?

According to the White Page, mean idle temp for this model should read approx 48°C, and if your posted idle temps are accurate, running anything more intensive than Notepad would be pushing Tcase & Tcontrol thresholds. Add a program that has to actually calculate info into the mix...well, that could trip a trigger.

____

Regarding your ForceWare issue, I doubt that the BSODs are driver related (alone), as you have posted similar problems prior to their release....v185.85 (both XP & Vista x86) very stable here.

When was the last time your registry hives were swept clean, and the last time your page file was defragged?

When I built the pc I'm running now the standard heatsink didnt seat properly and I had overheating issues, get a temp monitor and watch it while you run something like prime95 doing the torture test, if it starts getting hot quickly and the temps shoot up high you'll know something isnt right.

Take Davros's advice, take the heatsink and fan off, clean it the surfaces, blow all the dust out of the heatsink vanes if there are any, reseat it with some thermal compound and try the tests again.

Better safe than fried.