What is the consensus on OPFOR composition?

GB3

What is the consensus on OPFOR composition? Especially regarding grenadiers and rpg's but also including lmg's and snipers. Im am thinking for ELITE difficulty no more than one grenade launcher or rocket launcher per team and perhaps one lmg or sniper per team also. Is this too easy or too challenging?

THX

I go by the size of the team really, but most patrolling teams could get either a gl or maybe an rpg, then I will only use rpgs that are set up with a kit that has a mag count of one - any more generally results in a semi auto firing rocket launcher!!! I have chrs with a primary rpg but they generally fire that first then switch to their secondary....they miss with the rpgs alot too and sometimes will kill themselves and maybe their mates so let the landscape be a factor there....it sure is cool to see one flying out of the mist at your position....also let the situation be the deciding factor, guys defending an area should be out fitted properly - be the commander....I normally give a larger team an SVD or some other squad based sniper rifle...then again...I may give a single patrolling guy one if the terrain warrants it...I do so love to place the snipers in spots with sniper plans though...overlooking areas that may be getting patrolled as well..consider this...the SAW is a SQUAD BASED WEAPON....so let them boys have a similar weapon for each of their squads if the OPFOR you're representing could be so outfitted i.e. if its an Army then sure, give em that...but what if its a bunch a rebels in the hills or a drug runner outfit? The mod I'm working on has Russian bad guys(fighting other Russians and foriegn units) involved in a coup, so they will throw at least a part of the weight of Russian military might at player... and since some are Spetznats you can bet they are well armed....I love the RP46 cause it is so loud and when they open up it can scare player pretty good!

mig :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

i think mig is right, it depends on who's the enemy you're fighting. I usually set soldiers with Aks and one PKM or two RPK, then all in suppress ROE. GL, usually one even for teams or 3 or 4. RPGs rarely, only if there are friendly tanks in the map and they are scripted to attack them.

The only problem with GL is that it's really too accurate. Hell they miss you with a 30 rounds mag to snipe you out with a 40 mm grenade. Editing the gun file can be a good idea ehhe.

SVD is a great addition to the enemy team. They will punish you if you dare too much eheh.

Sometimes i put somewhere a fixed GL or a fixed MG. But most of the times fixed MGs will miss you. Soldiers are just standing waiting for you to shot them eheh.

Usually i give AN-94 to what should be elite russian soldiers and AK-74 or AKSU to regular soldiers. AK-47 to the "rebels", and i would give SMGs and AKs to druglord and so.

Mercenary should have some M16a2 and so.

And if you are going in south america, well, it's said there are many ww2 weapons between the various groups. Not sure though.

• 1 year later...

Mercenary should have some M16a2 and so.

And if you are going in south america, well, it's said there are many ww2 weapons between the various groups. Not sure though.

Sorry for chiming in on this so late. :)

For opfor military I tend to assign the weapons like a fire team R (Rifleman), R, R, R, G (Grenadier), AR (Automatic Rifleman - SAW/MG). I don't often assign RPGs to the military forces kits unless there is friendly armor involved, but when I do I will either substitute the RPG's for the 40mm launcher of the Grenadier, or if it's a really hard mission, add RPG's to one of the rifleman actors. I don't like using kits with more than 1-3 RPGs though, primarily for the reasons already stated by others on this thread.

For mercenaries, weapons issued depend on the regional theater of operations. The FN-FAL has seen far more widespread use in the world than the M16 series of rifles, second only to the AK47. Most African wars and many in South America, had AKs on one side and FALs on the other. These days it could be a toss up as to whether it'd be a FAL, M16, or AK type rifle. One security contractor company in Iraq doing convoy security for commercial trucks uses Russian MG's on their vehicles and either FAL or G3 rifles for their primary rifle.

Killabees statement about WWII weapons being common in South America is true...the old M1 carbine is still alive and well in many SA countries as well as the Asian Pacific Rim - and ammunition is plentiful and cheap overseas whereas in the US the supplies aren't as great as they once were - and are getting expensive compared to the 5.56 NATO and 7.62x39 Russian ammo which is so popular now. On a personal note, I'd rather have an old fashioned .30 carbine para model than a chopped barrel M4 for CQB because there's more energy transfer in the larger/slower bullet - which gravitates towards more knock down. At ranges past 200 yards though, the .30 carbine loses a LOT of its effectiveness. {This is from personal experience serving in Africa, the FFL, and as a contractor in other conflicts}. Gamewise, there's not enough distance to make a great difference...but for the look and 'feel' of the missions, it's nice to be able to have the wide variety of choices as we do in GR.

Many thanks to all of the modders and weapons modelers for giving us such a wide selection.