Vista Required for Game?

firefly2442

Don't worry. Vista isn't selling like hotcakes as MS hoped, and if publishers want games to sell they will support XP period. Only company that can afford to be Vista only is MS itself

With Gears of War PC coming out and playable on Windows/Xbox Live, there are people betting that DX10 will come to XP ...

There are already "user made patches" out in the wild to get "Vista only" games working under XP.

I'm sure Microsoft is not pleased by this. It undermines their entire strategy of forced obsolescence.

In the future there will be DX10 only titles, these are impossible with little patches to run on XP. That is what Falling Leaf is developing for, to make DX10 games accessable on XP. This program won't be for free, a first release is planned for this summer. And with Microsofts policy to try to force people to buy the new OS and hardware, this is the absolutely right thing to do! Then I prefer paying a bit instead to run as many DX10 games on my PC as I want. I mean, how impatient is MS ? All their previews OS had been taken over in the time by their newer OS with exceptions due to stability or just dislike.

Falling Leaf Systems

Edited by rookie

I'm sure there was a similar discussion like this when XP was released. There has never been any OS (released by Microsoft) that was bug free or very stable at release.

Soon enough all games will move on to DX10, just like they did with DX9. I give it 2 or three years.