Field of view / Widescreen issue

I guess I'm perplexed on the characterization of "true."
... true ... :P

Assuming the FOV is set correctly for any given aspect ratio then all wider or narrower screens should have a wider or narrower FOV.

Zooming in or out from that default FOV is not the correct way to adjust/implement the FOV for the various aspect ratios.

The term widescreen was implemented with reference to the conventional 4:3 screen and meant the screen was wider - not and wider and taller.
... exactly ... :rocky:

This is how it should be ...

FOV-t.jpg

The point is ... GRIN had the implementation correct in GRAW ... now it isn't.

Edited by Paddywak

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Widescreen.jpg

If the 16:10 aspect ratio is truly 16:10, and not stretched, and 16:9 is truly 16:9, and not stretched, and 4:3 is truly 4:3 and not squeezed, then who cares what the original frame of reference is? I know you're a WS purist (compliment, not a crack), but based on the 3 choices, I'll take Grin's offering.

Me too, the point is valid of PW, but I'm not going to push the boat out over this minor point (previously a major issue). The fact is the game suffers from a sack of more pressing issues and this one has been addressed to the point where the majority have said (on this forum at least) that they can except the new solution, I agree too.

The FOV is only a ration of resolution and there must be something deeper in the engine for it to be this way, but I don't really have it on the top of the pile any more, I would like to see other issues addressed, like why some people are getting in game dumps (crashes), why sound is having issues on certain setups (not mine but I care), why there is no mod activation / deactivation support, why new maps require the whole engine to restart etc etc etc... your getting my point, GRIN may add a little tweak to the FOV later but for now I feel (and I bet others do), the points I mentioned have a far greater importance than the current state of FOV.

respectfully

viii

• 2 weeks later...

On of the things that annoy me the most in this game (and in first GRAW) is that we have a very narrow field of view when playing. It doesn't look natural at all and my stomach doesn't like it at all ! :wall:

To tell you the truth, i don't think i'll buy the game until i know this stupid problem has been fixed ! Who wants to play a game where your field of view is the same as a horse on a racetrack ?!!

Anyway.... I was wondering if we could change that in a config file or something ?

[Merged with the existing FoV/WS thread]

Edited by Pave Low

You must of missed this little thread that ran for 2 weeks re FOV

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php...p;hl=widescreen

You must be a 4:3 old styled user, cos 16:9 & 16:10 actually get it all plus a bit more.

Thanks for the reply .. yes i am a 4:3 user ! I think the problem is even worse for the Widescreen users but in a way, it's normal that you don't get any advantage concerning the horizontal FOV in a game if you use a widescreen monitor. But i really think the FOV has to be increased for EVERYONE !

Has grin said anything about it ?! Cause right now, the game is really not enjoyable to play :(

For those that are happy with it ... fine ... but it isn't correct as I have pointed out.

I know I would like it fixed ...

Yes it is better with the SP demo than it was with the MP demo but it is definitely not fixed ... it is bodged to make people think it is fixed.

It was correct in GRAW ... so why mess it up in GRAW2?

For those that are happy with it ... fine ... but it isn't correct as I have pointed out.

I know I would like it fixed ...

Yes it is better with the SP demo than it was with the MP demo but it is definitely not fixed ... it is bodged to make people think it is fixed.

It was correct in GRAW ... so why mess it up in GRAW2?

fixed or not - i personally like the vertical plus in the SP demo, good job grin

fixed or not - i personally like the vertical plus in the SP demo, good job grin
Yeah the vertical plus FOV would be fine if every different aspect ratio had that same vertical FOV increase ... but the wider your aspect ratio the more vertical plus you get ...

That is just wrong ... ;)

Bad job GRIN.

More is better,

The Feild of View is better than in GRAW1.

Holding to some standard is less important than keeping the view proportional and icnreaing the FOV to ensure that the image is not stretched or squashed.

GREAT JOB GRiN.

Best implementation of widescreen views ever. It really apporaches human view far better than just blindly sticking to the standards

Again ...

Great if it is now good for you ... I don't and wouldn't want to change that.

I just wish it was "approaching the human view" for all the aspect ratios so my game experience is as good as yours now is.

How would it be if others had took the "I'm all right Jack ..." attitude when it was the other way around and you were not happy with the FOV ...

So not only does the game give you too little left to right field of view, wide scree users get less vertical (top to bottom) feild of view than do regular monitor users.

hopefully, Grin will fix this somehow.

Again ...

Great if it is now good for you ... I don't and wouldn't want to change that.

I just wish it was "approaching the human view" for all the aspect ratios so my game experience is as good as yours now is.

How would it be if others had took the "I'm all right Jack ..." attitude when it was the other way around and you were not happy with the FOV ...

So not only does the game give you too little left to right field of view, wide scree users get less vertical (top to bottom) feild of view than do regular monitor users.

hopefully, Grin will fix this somehow.

Uh oh.

I think i missed the point of your post.

I thought you were complaining becuase widescreen added additional vertical FOV.

I thought you were complaining that the WS got "too much" view in violation of some established (read: random) standard.

It seems you are complaining that 4:3 gets less than it deserves.

It seems you are wondering why the 4:3 users didn't get their own, special solution that made them happy to. This I can relate to.

If this was your point, Then I apologize. I thought you wanted them to reduce the WS user's lovelyness to fix your 4:3 issue. It seems you want us all to have the goodness as good as possible

Maybe I need to work on my reading comprehension skills. I did fine on that section of the SAT and the GMAT and the MCAT. i guess the years have cuased me to deteriorate ..... :wall:

Edited by Sleepdoc

Widescreen.jpg

Grin had to do something about the FOV !!!

Not only does it look highly unrealistic, but the game is not enjoyable to play with the current FOV !! Terrible idea really ....

To put everyone's mind to rest!

TrueWS-Grin.gif

:thumbsup:

... but it isn't TRUE widescreen ... :(

FOV.jpg

Whilst this is better than a decrease in the Vertical FOV (as it was with the MP demo) it is not true widescreen.

True widescreen has an increase in the horizontal FOV without increasing or decreasing the vertical FOV ... as it was in GRAW ... ;)

I can't really grasp what is being said after all the posts, the FOV horizontally for wide-screen is good (not perfect but good). The FOV for 4:3 will naturally be narrower and not give the 4:3 user the out of the box feeling of room due to the narrower FOV. But taking the 4:3 as correct then it's the wide-screen player that has a bit extra not the 4:3 that has lost anything.

Now like earlier posts we could go on and on that the aspect is wrong but in comparison to the original MP DEMO where 4:3 is presumed correct then 4:3 has only one solution and that is to move to wide-screen for that wide view, you can't make 4:3 look wide. Grin corrected the the chopped version from the MP DEMO.

Conclusion

If the majority of the player community say it is acceptable in the GRIN wide-screen format, then I for one am happy. As for 4:3, the original 4:3 was not contested as being out of resolution and if you expand 4:3 to meet the new 16:9.2 resolution (little j/k) then were will all this stop. If Grin chop off a little 16:9.2 to bring it to 16:9 then the majority if they liked it are going to get cheesed off.

viii

P.s. my personal view (wide) is that the thread has done it's job of bringing this issue to GRIN's attention and I for one side with those that say "I'm all right Jack" on this point. Like I said in my conclusion, it's like my old horse & stick picture.

I thought you were complaining becuase widescreen added additional vertical FOV.

I thought you were complaining that the WS got "too much" view in violation of some established (read: random) standard.

Well, while he's not complaining, his complaint is that it's not true WS because the WS A/R does get a greater vertical FOV. His point is that to be true WS then the vertical FOV should be maintained for all aspect ratios. I prefer to think that it's not true 4:3. It's a strictly philosophical position that could be argued either way. You just have to pick sides :devil:

:lol: ... it can be correct for everyone and every aspect ratio thus making it feel right for everyone and removing the need to argue either way or pick sides.

graw2-SP-FOV-T.jpg

Scale that 16:9 image (above) down such that the vertical is the same height as the 4:3 shot and you will see that not only would the 4:3 user then get the vertical increase that you get (with the patch) on that 16:9 shot but they would also get a slight horizontal FOV ... thus making it feel right for them and not zoomed in.

or another way of putting it ...

Scale the aperture of the 4:3 shot above such that it's hight is the same as the 16:9 shot and you will see that not only would the 4:3 user then get the vertical increase that you get (with the patch) on that 16:9 shot but they would also get a slight horizontal FOV ... thus making it feel right for them and not zoomed in.

The 4:3 users would be happy and the widescreen users would be happy ...

True 4:3 and true widescreen ... ;)

So ... like I said ...

Assuming the FOV is set correctly for any given aspect ratio (such as that 16:9 shot above) then all wider or narrower screens should have a wider or narrower horizontal FOV such that it feels right for everyone.

The vertical FOV should not change between aspect ratios.

FOV-t.jpg

That's the point, this whole saga of a thread started with your assumption that 4:3 was correct and so it's only 16:9 players that are out.

Now you change your stance and say Arr! 4:3 was not right to start with and the scaling of the 16:9 has caused a tare in the time flux continuum and we need to stretch 4:3 (sarcasm). This whole thing blows. Why not shrink 16:9 to the 4:3 or blow the whole aspect thing out of the window and I want Panoramic 360 vision on my 16:9 monitor.

Unless Grin now want to pull back the view to accommodate 4:3 to the new 16:9.2 and make the world a better place, I'd say that 4:3 was right all along and 16:9.2 players should all loose a few pixels. That will make all the 4:3 players happy, cos nothing will have changed for them !!!!!!

Best of luck with the quest, I salute your original concept re: the bug of wide-screen which was 100% on the button and Grin's solution overshot the scale but not in a bad way, now all the 4:3 players are complaining without a cause.

p.s. your wide-screen pic needs scaling back to 500px max from 600

p.p.s. Rant rant rant... :wall:

this thing is circular and not going anywhere.

I am happy. You will be too when you finally cough up the cash to buy a wider screen monitor. Until then, you are just out of luck. It's not a "right or wrong" issue anymore. It's a haves and have nots issue.

One thing is for sure. you can't please all the people all of the time. but if you can get a solution that makes the vast majority happy, and has an eye ot the obvious future, then your on the right track. I'm pretty convinced that GRiN believes they are on the right track. I tend to agree with them.

Sorry for your Woes Paddywak.

My guess is you won't get any satisfaction from the limited resources of GriN. but satisfaction is within 150 dollars (and one trip to Best buy) of your grasp. AND, its not just satisfaction in GRAW2. It covers all games, present and future. So I'm guessing you will soon conclude that I am right on this aspect of your road to satisfaction....

Edited by Sleepdoc