Syphon Filter:Omega Strain

Zantar45

I can't wait for Syphon Filter: Omega Strain to be released.

It is going to rock (I really hope so)

Those of you who remember it, forget what it was like, its bigger,badder and better.

Go Here to read about it and see some screenies.

I already know what weapons Im packin' MP5,Dual Colt .45's,Knife,M16/AK47

The confirmed weapons to those of you that care are...

*Steyr Aug *M16A2 *AKS74U *AK47

*Desert Eagle *Barrett M82A1 *SR25

*Gustav Rocket Launcher *P90 *FA-MAS *FN FAL

*HK 53 *MP5 *MP5-SD *RPG *G 36

*Stryker Shotgun *G11 *Glock 17 *JackHammer

*C.A.W *Knife *Colt .45 *Tec-9 *Taser * +Many more

Also there is a creat-a-character mode and online play.

Man this game is gonna rock. :o=

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Game is coming out in May for those that care, can't say I really care anymore since there hasnt been much official info released on a regular basis.

I now have ALOT more respect for weapon modders in GR (not saying I didnt in the first place ;) ), thats for sure. I mean you guys mod for free and for the community and your models look awesome, especially since its hard to make skins for a weapon only using pictures on the web. Take a look at the weapon models that are gonna be in Syphon Filter Omega Filter.

click here

They are so bland looking IMHO, how can a game developer not notice this when weapons are the bread'n'butter of their title? Some of the weapons look ok but compared to other ones.... <_<

Imagine how good the weapons would look if some of you guys did them and got paid for it. :ph34r:

Edited by Zantar45

i see what you mean, Zantar!

look at this m4

syphonomega_040904_017.jpg

that is just ugly!!!!!

If you ever talk to one of the developers of this game, send them my way!! will make them some nice weapons....for the right price of course! :D

Game is coming out in May for those that care, can't say I really care anymore since there hasnt been much official info released on a regular basis.

I now have ALOT more respect for weapon modders in GR (not saying I didnt in the first place ;) ), thats for sure. I mean you guys mod for free and for the community and your models look awesome, especially since its hard to make skins for a weapon only using pictures on the web. Take a look at the weapon models that are gonna be in Syphon Filter Omega Filter.

click here

They are so bland looking IMHO, how can a game developer not notice this when weapons are the bread'n'butter of their title? Some of the weapons look ok but compared to other ones.... <_<

Imagine how good the weapons would look if some of you guys did them and got paid for it. :ph34r:

Zantar i disagree im very good at looking at game weapons ive been playing games since i was 4 for crying out loud!

ok here is what i think

GR: Pretty ok But Extremly Bland textures look like they were smeared on

Mod Gr Guns: LOT BETTER THAN PRE PROGRAMED ONES have the same dtail as the syphon Filter Omega Strain

SF:OS: Very good attention to details it has the chambers bolt locks chamber coverings sights and a whole lot more

If Syphon Filter comes out on PC have our GR moders tackle improving the weapon skins they wou;d be unbelivible!

This is my point form a extremly hard core gamer

:rambo::thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

oopsie, forgot to mention its out already.

The game ships today and comes out on Thursday the 6th. One thing though, I got my copy early on Tuesday morning. suckers :P

This game is awesome.

sfscrn1.jpg

Edited by Zantar45

i see what you mean, Zantar!

look at this m4

syphonomega_040904_017.jpg

that is just ugly!!!!!

If you ever talk to one of the developers of this game, send them my way!! will make them some nice weapons....for the right price of course! :D

Well, it's good to know I can model m4s better then somebody. :P It's too bad that game developers have to make such crummy looking models for the polygon and texture resolution limits. I'm sure it pains them too to see them in such a sad state.

• 1 month later...

Slipped my mind and I forgot to give a review.

Btw, this review is most likely going to be long, boring, jumbled (MEH) and I'm not promising you wont lose a few IQ points*. :thumbsup:

Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain

Gabe and company are back but this time its their big debut on the PS2. A new twist in the storyline, YOU are the worlds only hope in stopping the new strain of the Syphon Filter virus, since Gabe and Lian are off playing "undercover agents" somewhere.

While Gabe and Lian are *eh hem* "busy", lets get onto the review.

Graphics

The graphics in OS are pretty good. A step above Socom and a step below RE: Outbreak. The lighting effects are also pretty good. Shine a light at the screen or look at the sun. You will notice the brightness and/or glare effects. Like other Syphon Filter games, when you are shot on unprotected body parts, blood will "stain" you and stay on. Which is kinda hilarious when you get shot in the face and it looks as if you are wearing a crimson mask. Levels are large and very detailed in most places. Infact, on one level there is a huge mansion that is very detailed and yet, when you play the level there is almost no reason to be in that area unless youre sight seeing. Finally, the meat of all action games- the weapons.

The weapon skins in OS are good and decent. Some of them are pretty detailed while others are bland and seem like a rush job.

Score 8/10

Sounds

The sounds are pretty good. Things that go "BOOM" pretty much sound like they go "BOOM". Gun sounds are a bit iffy. Some weapons sound like they are suppressed (more like airsoft guns) when they arent. Its usually trial and error on which ones are silent. Others sound spot on. Still cant get over the M82 sounding like a turbine engine starting up. Music, the music kicks in nicely when you are in a tough spot and receeds when you get your keister out of it. Funny thing, about the music. You know the intro music for Frostbite? Well later in the game, its the music for some of OS's levels. lol

Score 8/10

Controls

Big can o' worms opened up here. The controls are the main reason (I kid you not) why Omega Strain got such a low rating by many (and I do mean many) game reviewers. The controls are pretty simple; the shoulder buttons (L2+R2) make you strafe left and right, while the other two (L1+R1) manul/auto aim. Very simple configuration. This is the EXACT same control scheme from the past 3 Syphon Filter games. It takes about 10-15 minutes to relearn to play, a little longer if you play Socom like a maniac.

After you get the controls down, you can duck, roll and get headshots all in one swift motion. A downside though is unlike the past SF games, you cant really customize the controls to your likeing except for normal/invert and aiming speed.

Some people say this game would be better if it had Socoms controls, I think it wouldnt. One main reason is that there is so much action happening from different directions, you would be dead before you can run and hop in circles to aim in the right direction. The map is now accessable with the press of a button but can get you killed since you cant pause and look at it.

The controls could use a little work in future titles so that the less experienced can hop right in and play with ease.

Score 6/10

Gameplay

Non stop action here. Enemies respawn in hotzones/high traffic areas. After you beat them down and leave the area, they will come back when you return. A downside though is when you fight them over and over, you learn all the spawn locations and move place to place waiting for them to pop up and drop them.

The enemy AI never really impresses you since they almost always know where you are except on stealth missions. Also they die and respawn so quick, you dont notice the small things often such as one man reloading and another giving him cover fire or one running into the open to draw your fire and another trying to sneak up on you.

On every level the enemies weapons are set so you never really run into someone with a different weapon, this also makes you choose weapons with compatible ammo. For example on the first mission all the enemies use 9mm pistols (M93R) shotguns and the .223 ARs (FAMAS). So taking a .44mag or FAL is pointless unless you like conserving ammo.

There are over 100 weapons in OS about 40-60 of them you can aquire to use whenever, the others are only availible on certain maps. The 40-60 weapons can be unlocked by gaining a new rank, getting a certain amount of kills/stats, beating missions under the time limit and finding hidden items. There are about 12-15 obejectives per mission that you must eventually complete to unlock new weapons later on. A downside though is you have to complete alot of objectives online to unlock certain weapons/items.

As mentioned in the opening, YOU are the main character this time around. Now you have to create your own agent, be it man or women. There are very few outfit pieces to unlock in the beging but as you progress and rank up more pieces are unlocked for use.

Score 8/10

Online play is EXACTLY the same as playing offline except that there are a few more enemies in some areas and you have less time to beat the deadline time limit. Also its only co-op and no deathmatch whatso ever, you cant even shoot a team mate (you can blow them up though)

Many objectives can only be beaten while playing online since you need a team mate to heave you up or flip a switch, etc.

Now for the downsides. For some reason you cant play with more then one person at a time if you are using certain routers. This could be easily solved except Sony hasnt released any info on what ports to open other then saying "Dont use a router" <_< . So most games you have to wait +20 minutes to get in a room because you cant join rooms with more then one person and sometimes you cant even host a game. This is also a pain down the road since ALOT of the unlockable weapons are only obtainable if you beat the team objective online your only other choice would be to using a cheat device.

There is no main lobby to enter. Instead, you click on the mission you want to play and you are taken to a lobby in there. It shows whos playing, rooms, chat,etc. Another downside is it may show 50 users but it doesnt tell you what mission they are playing or what region they are in (US West, US East). This makes finding friends and games to play very annoying.

Score 6/10

Overall Score 7.2/10

Overall, Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain is a good game, very addictive to most and a definite must rent. Only consider buying if you really liked it or got $50 burning a hole in your pocket .

(moms purse in some peoples cases :P )

If your looking for deathmatch and +30 rounds from a M60E3 to kill someone, get Socom.

*like all my reviews

and someone peoples posts......