GRAW @ 90FPS + X-Fi Sound

But remember. Just Becuase people don't stop in awe or even realize it is happening, they know something is making the experience unque and deep and addictive. Its like when someone walks into a well designed interior of a home. some people see the individual details. Other people just know they are in a beautiful space but dont really know why they sense this. This is becuase becuase detail isn't their thing. But they know how the home makes them feel.

Wow, that's getting deep, but right on the money I like it :)

For anyone that missed them Desmond (Simon Viklund) penned more than one sound modding tutorial in our Modder section, and even if you are not into modding, they make for really interesting reading.

I like his reply, dedication is the key, other things stand out though, small things that show its not just the sound.

The flies by the Dustbins thats another one, if you stop by a bin you can see them flying around, amazing.

Graw II bring it on.

I like his reply, dedication is the key, other things stand out though, small things that show its not just the sound.

The flies by the Dustbins thats another one, if you stop by a bin you can see them flying around, amazing.

Graw II bring it on.

I agree. One of the things i am hoping to see in GRAW2 as an added detail is the innocent citizens of Mexico showing up from time to time, complicating the Rules of Engagement (and possibly resulting in either tragic outcomes or heroic efforts in my game)

I also hope they finally make the smoke grenades a tactically effective barrier for hiding from the enemy when crossing dangerously exposed areas. I always felt a little "duped" when I saw it used in the intro videos to mask a tanks view before they killed it, and then it wasn't actually in the game. I hope someone is more careful about implying features in the game through their marketing effort that dont actually exist. Of course, thier deafening silence pretty much accomplishes that.

LOL

Edited by Sleepdoc

Hey Desmond,

I also wanted to commend you on your hard work. It paid off for me anyway even when I was using onboard sound. Once I bought my X-FI .. what what an amazing difference.

Maybe that's why some did not notice it as much.

Like posted above, many times sound is just taken for granted..

I can only wait to see what you do in GRAW2 .. you must have learned many tricks from your last version.

Damn.. looks like I am getting sucked back into GRAW...

I guess I will have to visit a few old friends online again..

Sound, unfortunately, is one of those things that usually only get recognized when they fall on their face. When that happens though you realize just how important they are.

e.g. when was the last time you commented on how well salted a meal was? Never? I thought so. But what does unsalted food taste like?

If anything, this type of commendation is a rarity with regard to sound and therefore doubly significant. And yes, I too concur, the sound is awesome!

Edited by Pritzl

I picked up an X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro Series this weekend. I only toyed with it for 5 minutes in SP, and my sound in GRAW is set to "Extreme", but I noticed little difference from my on-board 7.1 with my Mudusa Pro Gamer headset. I'm hoping I notice more of a difference on-line. Even if the only benefit is a few FPS, it would still be worth the $$$.

' date='Apr 9 2007, 07:44 PM' post='459294']

I picked up an X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro Series this weekend. I only toyed with it for 5 minutes in SP, and my sound in GRAW is set to "Extreme", but I noticed little difference from my on-board 7.1 with my Mudusa Pro Gamer headset. I'm hoping I notice more of a difference on-line. Even if the only benefit is a few FPS, it would still be worth the $$$.

Hi Kangaroo. i cannot comment on your sense of the transition. I can only commnet on my own. I came from an audigy 2 soundbalster to the X-Fi. The increased fidelity was tremendous for me. 2D sound became 3D. all noise levels were balanced. the background noises of dogs in the distance to metal bending and highway sounds went from sounding somewhat contrived to sounding to authentic and real worldish.

But in MP, the 3D sound precision started really saving my life. and allowing me to take the live's of others. It let me know where they were and let me know exactly how my own sounds might be heard. I simply did not have this level of fidelity with my audigy 2.

The sounds in GRAW are phenominal. I really have no complaint with my on-board sound. A teammate of mine uses a cheap stereo headset with on-board sound (we have the same mobo) and he he can locate sounds as well as anyone I've seen. I think that's a true testament to Desmond's work. I don't regret my purchase; I'm sure it will increase my enjoyment of GRAW. :)

I also had on-board sound - 7.1 with my Asus board. I thought the sound was good in GRAW. I was a little hesitant to buy another sound card. I went ahead and bought the X-FI and honestly, I was blown away. I could hear sounds I didn't know where there and the echo in alley ways and from far of weapon fire is amazing. I have pretty good headphone and speakers as well so maybe that might be your limitation?

Perhaps I was a bit hasty in my OP. I have a Medusa 5.1 Pro Gamer headset. My stuff is all pretty top-notch. I DO hope to see a marked improvement in sound quality with on-line play, but I think in general the sounds in GRAW, even at the basic settings, are very well done.

Thanks Sleepdoc and everyone else for the commendation - it's very much appreciated. I've said it before and I say it again: Sound is so very neglected in games. Screenshots are of course the first media that is released for an upcoming game, and from that point onwards it seems graphics is pretty much all that the game's about, what's everybody's interested in and measuring the game by.

Being a tactical shooter with lots of emphasis on scanning your environment, I felt GRAW was the right game to put a lot of work into the sound not only quality-wise but also in terms of how the sounds are handled by the engine. You can only go so far to make a recording of a grenade sound like a real grenade - then when you've reached that quality limit, you have to expand on the handling of that recording in the game, by the engine, to increase the quality of the sound design.

The echoes are one example. It's the kind of thing you don't find in any other game, and took me a lot of work to create - I'm surprised it actually took so long (ten months since release) before someone commented on the fact that all weapon fire actually produce their own individual echo sound. Great to hear that when someone actually did notice, it became a real "wow, stop and stand in awe"-moment. That's really inspiring for me, to hear those kinds of stories - so thanks once again, Sleepdoc.

I'd pass the commendation on to the audio team if there was one. The truth is it's only me and a programmer who developed the engine features needed for the sound.

I wonder oh I wonder why other games in their credits list so many members in their audio teams. What are they all for? I was one single guy working on the sound on GRAW, a 14 month project, and if I may say so myself I created quite and impressive audio profile for that game. I guess in other game studios, they all take 19 minute coffee breaks every twenty minutes..?

Thanks for replying. my ONLY concern sound wise is, the running sounds and walking sounds being heard through solid media like walls. i hope you guys got that fixed