Invisible Restricted Areas

Tom_Anger

No. depends on what tile set you use. Ghetto would require using wall pieces to close off areas you don't want accessed (Static layer. Props would work if they have no destruction animation. wood crates break apart upon grenades etc. so you have to experiment

There are maps out there that have nothing but an invisible barrier. ravene.... has one that I played that I believe has restricted areas and I think a Tanatos map has that in a map as well. Are you 100% sure it can't be done? I am thinking it can.

There are already too many restrictions in the game to be adding in more, and artifical ones at that.

Long black veil might be the map you were referring to: there was a real gem of an example in the churchyard/MexicOil area. Really frustrating when you have the drop on a bad guy, fire, and the bullet ricochets off of nothing!, end up emptying the clip before realizing it is just another "dead zone". (mover-helper wall, or invisible prop).

Really, really annoying unintended consequence, added to the linearity factor. Not to realistic.

Yes it can be done, but the map will be so much better if you just try to script it to achieve the intended result.

Related...

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php...c=40773&hl=

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php...c=40867&hl=

In a firefight I can understand that as an issue, however, my design has a long road that connects to a hufe city static object that no one cares about nor would have a need to go to it. I am left adding tons of x braces which look pathetic in a map. I would rather turn over a tractor trailer with closed off sign items and restrict that for a nice design. No enemies or need to go that route, however, that is what I am trying to accomplish. In my case it would be a professional approach. Still looking for the info on how to do this.

Any one have the steps?

Found it. You have to add the prop called

"helper_mover_collision_10x5m"

If this is not in your editor just add an item and change the unit name in the world file. This will help me out alot. These items can be used to setup decent borders on maps without the need for weird objects. Good deal.

I used the Gate arms for the most part with the invisible barrier just in front of it. Those Gate arms are only so long so to make up the difference in the gaps I add crates, barrels, of Span Rxers. In corners of a map or on the borders of the map hud they make for a nice design and don't mislead anyone.

As you mention and as others probably would like to see - you need caution on the placement of these. Just having this barrier is unaceptable so be creative to successfully add items to make it stick out that it is a barrier not to be crossed. If, however, it is at an area where you are at the end of the map hud it should be common sense that you are about to leave the map which is not something you should be allowed to do anyway. Still - use caution on adding these.

• 2 months later...

is that what has been used in the bda map hemlock?because thta has an invisible barrier around the edge of the map and i was wondering how to get it for my map.

actually dosn't matter ive done something else now anyway

Edited by spacehunt

Just a thought, Have you tried placing the tree backgroud as a border I think its only textured on one side so flip it to make invisible. Let me know if it works I dont have time to try it right now. Oh an certain objects like crates can be set as indistructable in the mission script but I have only got this to work in [GR] game type. I made those green crate on my dedust map stop exploding. Reduced the lag bigtime.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner Tom. Yes, the helper mover wall is a good choice for just stopping, though I know others would like to see something instead of just being stopped. Sometimes it's just not feasable.

The problem with the helper mover is that once it is laid you don't have the ability to select it again and move it. My solution is to use wall sockets. These have a face on one side and transparent on the other. The allows you to see how you are placing the barrier. Only problem is that it still acts like a wall, where the helper mover lets bullets pass thru it.

If you look at the POW Camp that I turned into [GR] you will see that I used it quite a bit around the iron X items you had originally placed. My reason was because the AI are able to cross over the those pieces, but you can't.

Too bad it's too darn hard to bring pieces into the rditor and game. Otherwise we would have a lot of different maps instead of the same type of them we keep having.

Peace!

Rav :zorro: